R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-02-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default gt2 aluminium or carbon

i have a gt2 factory team truck and i installed all aluminium parts from era racing but the weight increased by 230g
i put on titanium balls studs,screws,front axles,pins which reduced some weight but i saw extreme makes a carbon fiber chassy plate
i know this will reduce more weight but are their any sacerfices and will all aluminium parts screw into this stuff good and give me the strength i need
dirtywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

In my opinion you've spent alot of money and gained nothing. Well, gained some weight on the truck and lost some in the wallet.

I'd put it back to stock, sell the aluminum and Ti stuff on ebay, and get some rpm a-arms if you're worried about breaking stuff.

I wouldn't run a carbon chassis plate. You'll be losing the biggest heatsink on the truck. The aluminum chassis dissipates alot of engine heat. And I just plain don't think it would last that long for what most people do with gas trucks.

These little trucks are so overpowered by the engine for the little bit they weigh, you probably won't even notice the extra weight. Or you'll maybe think it has better traction than it did stock.
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

Stock kit, O.S. TG 12, JConcepts brake disk, tebo rings, Losi Race Winner.

Seriously the truck is great right out of the box.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 149 (100%+)

I agree with Jbrow and Andy, the GT2 is good to go right out of the box. No need for Aluminum upgrades and definitely don't go with the carbon chassis.
Check out rc10b4.com as there is some great info on that site as well...
raydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree also!!!!!! First time I raced the truck with a OS TG I was 0.93 hundreds of a second of TQ at my track. Have in mind it was the first time I ever drove a stadium truck..... It is awesome out of the box
norman2cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Default gt2

i not asking what is the cheapest truck to build because i know its a good truck out of the box ive been racing associated since the first 10t came out but the question is what is the strongest truck you can build and not add to much wait
i'll take my truck with all of its milllion dollar parts against yours bashing hardcore and then go racing and see how long it takes you to start replacing parts
i build for the long haul build it once and not worry about breaking anything
http://www.rchangout.com/gallery/sho...php/photo/7485
dirtywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywater
i not asking what is the cheapest truck to build because i know its a good truck out of the box ive been racing associated since the first 10t came out but the question is what is the strongest truck you can build and not add to much wait
i'll take my truck with all of its milllion dollar parts against yours bashing hardcore and then go racing and see how long it takes you to start replacing parts
i build for the long haul build it once and not worry about breaking anything
http://www.rchangout.com/gallery/sho...php/photo/7485

first this may seem harsh and its not meant to be. i like your passion but your view seems to be off a bit. the best and strongest truck is the one you crash the least. and yes you spent alot of money for metal parts, even though they are alum. they are still metal, versus plastic. well in a weigh in plastic wins. and just because you put alll that aluminum on your truck doesn't make it stronger it just makes it more expensive to repair when you do finally break. you have asked about motors and what is best and howe to mount them, and everyone has told you the very samething i said in your very first post regarding a GT2 and the motor to put in it. i even explained how to cut the shaft in greta detail as i had just done mine two weeks before you asked. this group of people in this web site are the most hgelpful you will ever find, however they do grow tired of telling you the samething in multiple threads. good luck with your truck.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here's how I see it, they both may handle & drive the same but if you hit something with the stock truck you break a small plastic part thats costs around $5 give or take, depending on what part.

With the aluminum truck you wont break you'll bend parts. Bend hinge pins, arms, knuckles, parts like that. So your spending more money on a car that will cost you more money to repair. And then the aluminum car may handle worse then before

I have the FT GT2 and have only broken one thing and that is a turn buckle because I landed right on the front wheel wrong. Easy cheap fix.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 149 (100%+)

funny post, real racers don't go "bashing hardcore"
raydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Aluminum parts will wear out faster than the plastic. Your suspension will also not be as free w/ that aluminum stuff. The only thing aluminum I want on my gt2 in rear hubs w/ a set screw for the hinge pin like the racers edge ones.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184104

WWW.BUSTOUTBMX.COM
TheTurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote