R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Brushless Costs

Hi guys,

Got a question. When you race nitro you have to factor in fuel cots, tire costs, part costs, etc. Was talking to someone and they told me expect to spend $40-$50 per day at the track.

Do the same amounts apply to electric and more specifically, brushless? Of course there is no fuel costs, and there will be parts to replace, but do you wear out tires as much? Is there much more aside from the upfront costs of the motor and lipos?

Thanks,

-Mike
Bohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Before I switched to gas I use to buy 4 new batteries a year at 70 a pop that`s 280.I have never spent 280 on gas in a year.Parts,tires,etc; have to be replaced when worn or broke,doesn`t matter if its gas or electric
Old 04-29-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

You should end up spending less in electric. If you race a lot fuel and bateries will come out about the same for brushless nitro and 1/10th scale nitro. However the start of season costs for nitro are more. Nitro will need rebuilt mills or new mills and such. All electric needs are some bearings every so often.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Get LIPO batteries and charger and a brushless system, close to maintenance free for a couple of years. Thermal protection = no "blown" motors. Offroad is mostly nitro around here and elec is cheaper when they run brushless and LIPO. Unfortunately the 1/8 scale elec is still kind of expensive at this point and 1/8 scale is what's hot around here right now.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nitro is slightly more expensive if neither person abuses their equipment. If you are an all out full throttle or bust kinda guy then nitro is the answer. It will take abuse better then electric. Just remember the more you abuse either the more it will cost.

Race cost for me for electric -

Entry Fee $10
Parts - I budget $10 per day. Anything not used is for tires in the future.
Replacement of Power source, motors, other big ticket items - $10 per weekend. This allows be to save up for bigger ticket items.

So I can get away with $30 and always using all $30 I can run all year. Trick is if you do not spend part of your money put it in a cookie jar. Something big will happen that will eat the spare sooner or later.

In the end you can keep the hobby reasonably cheap. But if you do not invest enough money it will frustrate you. Compared to the price of a movie it is right inline.

You get a lot of hours at the track on race day.

Compared to paintball it is dirt cheap.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I also forgot to mention you need to get what makes you happy. If you want the sound of an engine then you are wasting money on electric. I want you to get what will keep you with the hobby. Race less often if budget will not allow it. personally I love electric. If I have to race 1.8th one day I will make an electric one.

Whatever you get you need to go to the track and ask questions. Ask for help and be nice when you get it. Someone tuning your engine can save you some $$$ quick. But you need to learn what they do so you can do it yourself.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossoh10
Before I switched to gas I use to buy 4 new batteries a year at 70 a pop that`s 280.I have never spent 280 on gas in a year.Parts,tires,etc; have to be replaced when worn or broke,doesn`t matter if its gas or electric
Too bad you switched too soon because you can buy 8000 mah li-pos now for $75 that will give you around 30 minutes of non-stop, no pitman, no starter box shuffle, no glow plug fouling, no clutch shoe problem racing that the battery will last 2 or more years of use.

Was at a track today where the li-po powered Pro Trucks were the largest class and keeps growing with more joining in the almost maintence free off road RC racing!!!!!

Go here to help out: http://www.americansolutions.com/
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I would say nitro will be more expensive, mainly from the fuel costs in 1/8 scale. could be alot cheaper in 1/10 scale, but, tires appear to wear more runtime to runtime 1/8 vs 1/10 scale. 1/10 scales seem to slick tires a whole lot quicker than 1/8.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:16 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nitro costs more imo. Start up costs are very similar.

Nitro: I added up the basic maintenance costs and I figure it costs $2.00 every tank you run. Fuel is alone is $1.00/ tank. Add up plugs, clutch parts, and one motor rebuild per year.... and you get another buck per tank....

That was kinda scary I thought. Figure most guys run 10-12 tanks during a typical club race day. $20-25 per car plus entry fees. Wow... do that every week for 3-4 months.

Brushless electric can be much cheaper in the long run.... about $100 a month cheaper to be exact.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:14 AM   #10
Tech Regular

If you are worried about money, run an electric mini. I race a half 8 buggy on an indoor dirt track and the initial cost to get it set up for racing was around $500. This included a full electronics replacement with a spek receiver, AON 4900 brushless motor, mamba 25 esc, hitec hs81mg servo, and a couple of sets of team scream matched ib1400 9.4V 2/3a packs. This also included all the chassis hopups to improve handling and make the car more crash proof. I already had a good charger (CE pitbull), radio (M8), and personal transponder so that saved me some cash, but the amazing thing was I ran the entire first year without a single broken part. Tire cost for a year is around $100, or 5 sets of stock MI wheels and tires. If you set it up right the MI drives and jumps an awful lot like an 8th gas buggy. This will be the 3rd year I've run mini's and I've spent around $100 to replace some worn out parts and another $100 to upgrade the steering servo and diffs, and I recently picked up a couple more matched 9.4V packs at $80. Other than race fees I've got less than a grand in equipment costs for 3 years worth of racing most every weekend.

I recently picked up a mamba maxx rig for my XXXT along with a maxamps 6000 mah 7.4V lipo. I haven't run it yet, but a friend of mine ran the battery in his novak brushless powerd T4 at the AIC in the 10th gas truck class. He was the only electric in the class and finished 6th in the 30 minute A main and had power to spare.
fhm555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:59 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

This issue of cost (nitro vs electric) comes up a lot. The bottom line is that if you want to race every weekend you need to have a lot of money whether its nitro or electric. This is a hobby for people who have the resources.

The most popular vehicles are also the most expensive (1/8 Scale) so nothing is going to change anytime soon.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #12
Tech Elite

In all classes there are automatic costs such as tires, spares, servos. However there are costs you can eliminate such as fuel, glo plugs, engine rebuilds. Not to mention you can easily switch to winter racing w/ lipo/brushless unlike w/ nitro. It is normaly easy to find a mini track indoors some where if you can't find a mainstream indoor track.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps
Too bad you switched too soon because you can buy 8000 mah li-pos now for $75 that will give you around 30 minutes of non-stop, no pitman, no starter box shuffle, no glow plug fouling, no clutch shoe problem racing that the battery will last 2 or more years of use.

Was at a track today where the li-po powered Pro Trucks were the largest class and keeps growing with more joining in the almost maintence free off road RC racing!!!!!
Where are you buying those lipo's for $75 dollars? thats a steal. Link?

thanks
nemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #14
Tech Elite

truerc.com They are like 90$ shipped w/ tabs & deans plugs.

The $90 ones are only good for 1/10th scale though. They only have a 10 c rating so they wouldn't be able to handle the amp draw of a 1/8th scale conversion unless you put like 10k+ mah in the car.