R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

http://rcpcrawlers.com/batteries.html

those are the cheapest ones ive found. and seems like a great deal compared to how much they sell for from a123racing.com . as for currents, it can run off of as low as a 12V power supply.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:29 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

The voltage of the power suply is not what I am worried about. I am wondering about the amp draw. The more amps it needs the more you spend on the power suply.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #33
Tech Elite

ahh. i think its like 110W and like a 10A max. not positive though

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:23 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I use the Radio Shack 15 amp ps with no problems.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:54 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

So, I was doing a little browsing tonight. This is a discontinued cell, it was replaced by far superior cells. I wonder if A123 is on the backburner on this tech and r/c is just something they can make a quick buck off of.
http://sanyo.wslogic.com/pdf/pdfs/UR18650F.pdf
Things such as one year warranty and such seem to bring same product to mind. I think I may see about giving some one a call tomorrow about the current these packs are rated for.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #36
Tech Elite

let us know what you find. looks like a smaller sized cell though. and a123 are built for rc and are safer supposedly.

xrayeddy - what do you mean you use the radio shack 15 amp ps?

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

Old 05-02-2007, 12:55 AM   #37
Tech Elite

I use the 15 amp power supply with my A123 charger with no problems. I thought someone was concerned with the amperage.

A123's market is power tools and automobiles, what they do in rc is a small part of the company.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:19 AM   #38
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I am interested in trying some of these packs. Few questions with answers from A123 Support!

1. Has anyone successfully mounted the 4600 4 cell pack (6.6V right?) in an RC10T4 and an RC10B4? Pics please!

I have not seen photos of the battery mounted into an RC10 but where there is a will there is a way. I have a XXXT that is a similar design. I used a dremel tool to bring the battery holder side walls down and then used velcro straps to keep it in place.

2. The Battery packs can only be charged with the A123 charger?

The battery packs can only be charged with an A123 compatible charger. There are others besides ours (Xtrema, FMA, Orbit, Bantam, etc. However if you don't have one of these our charger is the best bang for your buck. 10A charger, with Balancing, for $100.

3. How has the performance been at 6.6V versus a 7.2V Nimh pack?

The performance VS. a NiMH pack is: The pack put into the vehicle will be lighter (~20%) the acceleration will be better. You will need to change your pinion gear to make good use of our high amperage capabilities, or you can use the turbo module. Faster charge time 4600mAh charges in 30 minutes, and should run for about 20 minutes.

4. How has the performance been at 6.6V versus a 7.4V Lipo pack?

The performance VS a LiPo pack: The pack is slightly heavier than the LiPo. Again you will have to change the pinion to get the speed up or use the turbo. The benefits are the 30 minute charge time, If you crash the likely hood of damaging the pack is much much less. The pack will last 5X longer (cycles) then the LiPo. The need to monitor the Low voltage cutoff is not necessary.

5. What makes these safer than the LI-MN technology that Apogee sells?

Apogees Lithium Manganese is “Safer” then LiPo (cobalt oxide) but it is not 100% safe. It still gives up oxygen under abuse and can still catch fire. Though they can Drill a hole in it with a Drill (while holding it in their hand). If you look at that video closely you can see the inside Glowing orange.

6. What are some of the storage and maintanence things you need to do with these packs?

These batteries have a great shelf life they loose approximately 3% per month. They can be stored for over a year with out any problems (for long term storage beyond 3 months they should be charged to 100%, short term storage should be greater than 50%. They should not be stored longer than a month if they are discharged.

7. Do you need to set a low voltage cutoff on these packs? If so, what have you been setting them at on say a Mamba Max speed control?

To elaborate on the statement in #4. We recommend a cut off voltage of 2.0V / cell. In most vehicles they can be run until performance drops off. You will notice that you get full performance during the entire discharge and then all at once it will die (in about 10 seconds). Once this happens you should stop running it. I have run it until the vehicle would no longer drive, this is ok to do now and then but you should pull the battery once the performance changes. Usage of a LiPo in this way would seriously reduce the cycle life of the pack if not immediately damaging it.

8. The Al123 Turbo Module, using say at most a Mamba Max 7700 unit, has there been any current problems with the battery packs when you up them to 7.2V ?

The turbo module solution was designed before brushless motors were the Hot New thing. It was designed to offer super performance on Brushed motors but does not have the power handling capabilities for a motor like the 7700. If you really wanted to make that thing scream you could set it up with a 3S pack (there are people running this setup in XXXTs, stampedes, and rustlers. Though Check with Castle before doing this, they don't recommend a 3S LiPo but our 3S is a bit lower voltage.

9. Are there any cell sizes they make that would work in a 1/18 scale vehicle?

We are preparing for release a new pack that would be applicable to the 18th scale market. It should be available in a few months. (Hopefully before Christmas).

10. With the 4600 pack on a brushless 5700 setup in a stadium truck of buggy, 2wd, what has been the average run times you are seeing?

Your runtime would be in the neighborhood of 17-22 minutes depending on your driving style. I get 8-9min with my XXXT and a mamba 6900.

11. After a run, how long do you need to let the cells cool before charging them?

The rule for charging our batteries is “ If you can hold it in your hand then you can charge it ” . There are very few applications where the battery would get hot enough during a run that you would need to wait to charge it. The batteries do not get hot during charge so they typically cool down while charging.

Last edited by Cain; 08-11-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #39
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

got answers to my questions from A123 customer support.

For you guys using these packs, how is it going?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #40
Tech Elite

If anyone needs another a123 charger, pm me.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:09 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

you can find these for $40 on ebay from a guy who custom makes the packs, his username is "thedunemaster"
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote