R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default The Nitro Rustler Thread

I searched the forums and couldnt find one but noticed that the Stampede Thread had almost becone an unoficial Rustler thread as well. I started this thread as Im curious what other people have done to Rustlers.

Im new to this and just bought a older nitro rustler with the pro .15 engine, Ive gone a little overboard and already ordered, An aluminum extended chassis, a widening kit, rims and tires from a newer rustler, a TMX 2.5 conversion kit and a TRX 3.3 engine, aluminum front and rear shock towers, a tuned pipe and a new body.

What upgrades would you guys recomend? What have you done to your trucks and why?
bellr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

well ill say right now that your truck is going to be amazingly BA. you might want to put a smaller spur gear on the truck to make it faster and keep the wheels on the ground a little better. seems like you got that thing decked already. maybe a new fuel tank if you can fit it. but other then that, nothing. except some good bearings if it doesnt have ball bearings already

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Im curious about electronics upgrade, I see alot of people upgrade servos, transmitters and receivers. Why do people do this? Are all servos the same regardless of vehicle (Fit Wise)? What constitutes a good servo?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Tech Elite

most standard servos have the same mounting demensions so most should fit fine. servos get more expensive and ncier with more torque and speed. some have 80oz/in of torque. some have up to 300oz/in of torque. some are faster than others too. people do that just to make the response on their trucks faster. and people usually upgrade radios for either multiple trucks, or to synthesized so the ycan almost always have their own channel, or to sensor so you never have to tune in a channel. its not needed. traxxas parts are good quality and as long as your not a serious competetor then its not needed.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

yeah not planning on racing so I should be ok. I've noticed a lack of shock upgrades for the Rustler do upgraded shocks really help on a truck? Has anyone found shocks made for other trucks that can be used on the Rustler?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

yeah not planning on racing so I should be ok. I've noticed a lack of shock upgrades for the Rustler do upgraded shocks really help on a truck? Has anyone found shocks made for other trucks that can be used on the Rustler? I was considering oil filled upgrade shocks for a Jato but I dont want to spend a bunch of money if they wont work.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Tech Elite

the shocks on yours now, considering it was used, either need rebuilding, or need replacing. jato shocks are good. they might not work. im not sure though. you could email traxxas and ask them. shocks arent that big though. stock shocks on rustlers are typically really good. i still have the stock ones on my nitro pede and its 4 years old.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

Old 04-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

I couldnt find out so I just bought a pair of cheap used stock Jato shocks off Ebay for a couple bucks and Im gonna try them and if they fit maybe late I'll buy a good set of high end Jato shocks if they dont Im out $5, I found a whole lot of threads using google were people where asking about it but never found and answer anywhere so I'll post my results once I get everyting.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

I just finished rebuilding my nitro rustler with a widening kit a lengthened chassis and a TRX 3.3 engine. now I've ran into a problem were I broke my engine in this morning and had some running around to do this afternoon. Now I've tried to run the engine again tonight and it keeps flooding. Im new to this and if someone has some advise on how to troubleshoot. I changed the glow plug but how do I know if there any good or not????
Old 05-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #10
Tech Elite

well im assuming your still using the EZ-start system? if so, then how you check for a good plug, is take out the plug. then plug it in to the blue wire and hold it onto the head of the engine. push the EZ-start button and see if it turns orange or red.

sounds like you got a tuning problem. how far out to you have the high speed needle? cause after break in is when you typically tune your engine in. you will probably have to lean it out some. and your in luck. this my friend, is your new best friend

http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...33_Own_Man.pdf

its the owners manual. scroll through and check things like tuning, trouble shooting, flooded engines and how to clear them, etc.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

Old 05-10-2007, 09:36 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Actually I burnt out my EZ-Start motor so I went with a pull start, I played with it tonight leaned it out and got it going good. It flys, Im so happy with the way it hauls. Im hooked unfortunatly I lost a rim when a nut loosend off so Im down till tommorow. I never really got the old .15 engine to run properly and I was kinda second guessing the hobby as it wasn't that much fun,it was to slow but its Im definalty keeping with it now!!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds awsome! Good work on the conversion? Did your shocks fit?
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

I actually never won my Jato shocks but I ended up doing a bit of trial and error and ended up using a set of aftermarket piggyback shocks off a Associated Monster GT, I had to use the stock springs on the front so it didn't sit to high and I had to use the stock screw for the shock tower as well as the spacer that came wiht my aluminum shock tower to get them spaced far enough away from the shock tower for the reservoirs. I still am gonna try to get some Jato shocks to try but in the meantime I found the shocks I have vastly improved the handeling although with the widen and lengthed truck this thing handles like its on rails and has practically been imposible to roll my biggest problem has been to get the front tires to grip while accelerating, I've had to relocate my receiver to the very front of the to try to give the front end some weight. To be honest Ive had just as much fun actually building the truck as I have driving it, although my next truck will not be so old as I've found some parts are brittle I cracked the fuel tank and I cant even order one from my LHS for 2 weeks so I siliconed it and it held for a day and now the nipple for the fuel lines busted off.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

My brother just gave me his .15 Pro. He didnt give me the starter though, do I just need the back little piece or can I get the EZ START 2?
Old 06-10-2007, 04:02 PM   #15
Tech Elite

you need the original ez start backing. but the new ezstart 2 handheld part will plug into the original one