R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Breaking in motor

i just got a new novak brushless 6.5 motor. i was wondering if there is a proper way to break in a brushless motor. or any ways i can make this motor last.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated
DR1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:00 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You don't break in brushless motors. 'Breaking in' refers to making the brushes wear down until they are fully seated on the commutator on a brushed motor. Brushless has no brushes so no break in!

If your goal is to make it last a long time then minimize heat buildup. Avoid running it for excessive amounts of time, and gear appropriately so you don't ever go into thermal protection mode (aka shut down). Ensure you have proper ventilation even if that means putting a stupid breakable fan on top of it.
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1919
i just got a new novak brushless 6.5 motor. i was wondering if there is a proper way to break in a brushless motor. or any ways i can make this motor last.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Follow the instruction booklet. Occasionally open up the endbell (3 screws x 2.0 mm) and blow out with clean compressed air. You can use motor spray on removed components, but they don't recommend using motor spray inside the motor (I asked tech support why - they said you don't want to drive dirt down inside the electronic guts). Use a small drop of light bearing oil from time to time (once per race day) on the exposed bearing. I also put a small drop of oil on the end of the rotor where it goes down into the can, since I can't lube it from the outside. I probably opened mine up once every 2-6 race weekends.

Using a heat sink might help with heat. But the 6.5 should last you a long time in general if you do basic common sense stuff you already know (like don't run it underwater, that kind of thing).
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

thanks ill look into doing that
DR1919 is offline   Reply With Quote