R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   4 WD tire question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/160254-4-wd-tire-question.html)

Michal101 04-23-2007 09:55 AM

4 WD tire question

Hi,

I have a 4 wd buggy (BJ4 WE) and I will be running mod on a hard packed outdoor track that has a little loose dirt on top and they water the track every so often. I would like to get your guys input on tire selection since most of the local racers are running nitro.

Thanks!

RaceAce701 04-23-2007 10:04 AM

holeshots or inside jobs would b a good satart

Michal101 04-23-2007 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by RaceAce701
holeshots or inside jobs would b a good satart

I appreciate it...what compound M3 or M2?

Any other suggestions.

DaveC 04-23-2007 11:03 AM

From the description, the conditions probably are close to what we have at our outdoor track. I would say maybe losi imfar stud tires in red or silver and proline bowtie tires in M3 compound.

jaejw1 04-23-2007 11:07 AM

holeshots in rear.. inside jobs in front ,,

jaejw1 04-23-2007 11:20 AM

holeshots in rear.. inside jobs in front ,,

RaceAce701 04-23-2007 12:11 PM

ok inside jobs front and holeshots rear

why how does it affect the stearing do the inside jobs produse more or less traction

jaejw1 04-23-2007 12:21 PM

ok i drive a mini.. but hear me out.. i modded the inside jobs for the front of my brushless vendetta ST with holeshots in the rear.. this alone gave me the right amount of traction and where i needed it.. the sidewalls on the insidejobs are a lil taller.. leaving the treads in the center only so if you are going down the straight and you hit that first turn it will prevent traction rolling. and the rear holeshots will keep everything balanced..
top view

side view

a 4wd losi car was at the same track and he was using inside jobs all around.. here is the video just look at the few clips where he cant get control

my video

he then later switched to holeshots in the REAR.. and noticed a HUGE difference .. more controllable

our track is hard packed aswell.. this was a fresh layout only a day old.. but he didnt make the switch until 3 days after this video and he was still havgin troubles with the inside jobs in rear.. that is why he switched to the holeshots..

Dougg 04-23-2007 12:42 PM

My input would be taper pins (pink)front and rear. If you can get any.... I've used hole shots, there a great tire, but if you can do a bit of setup. you can get one sometimes two laps more in a race than if youre using hole shots. I only use the hole shots if the track is wet. In that case I use wd-40 on the tire. It helps the tire stay clean. But as soon as it drys out, im back on tapers. Oh, I use wd-40 for traction compound on the tapers also. (you will ware the tires out faster though)

jaejw1 04-23-2007 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dougg
My input would be taper pins (pink)front and rear. If you can get any.... I've used hole shots, there a great tire, but if you can do a bit of setup. you can get one sometimes two laps more in a race than if youre using hole shots. I only use the hole shots if the track is wet. In that case I use wd-40 on the tire. It helps the tire stay clean. But as soon as it drys out, im back on tapers. Oh, I use wd-40 for traction compound on the tapers also. (you will ware the tires out faster though)

i thought i was the only one using wd40... i have been telling ppl this for a couple of years now.. and no one has bought into it.. i use them regardless of track condition. but it does wear the tires faster..lol.. but it makes them sticky after you wash them..lol.. great on m2 or r3 compounds

Kevin Boyle 04-23-2007 12:57 PM

Michal101

Have you ever been to Pit Stop Hobbies? Sounds like the same dirt. Hole Shots will work Losi tires will work it all depends on the track. What is the name of the track? I have hit one track in VA The tiltyard.

Drop me a line or a PM I wiil try and help you out.
[email protected]

Later
Kevin Boyle
:cool:

Joe Pillars 04-23-2007 12:59 PM

Pro-Line M3 Hole Shots are the best tire to use front and rear if you really arent sure. They work really good on basically every surface.

jaejw1 04-23-2007 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Pillars
Pro-Line M3 Hole Shots are the best tire to use front and rear if you really arent sure. They work really good on basically every surface.

joe.. do you go to socal??.. the video above was taken at socal

Dougg 04-23-2007 01:47 PM

Our track only lets wd-40 and simple green as traction compounds. The owners have alergies to most traction compounds. (bad asma, one of there son's stopped breathing and almost died from the fumes) On the proline tires I only use wd-40 to keep the wet dirt from sticking to the tires. I prefer simple green on m3's. I've never tried r3 compound though. But for losi tires, wd-40 is the only way to go. Accually if the track is not dusty, I use worn down to slicks taper pins. They are the fastest way around the track, only if the track is sweeped between rounds. But if you get out of the grouve, youre toast!!! The inside jobs acually work better than hole shots, but they fall off way to quickly. When there half way worn, they give up. (At my track anyway).

jaejw1 04-23-2007 01:55 PM

that is why i prefer to use them in the front.. 4wd mini the front tires hardly get traction.. the front tires are in the air or slightly touching the ground.. for me all the traction is in the rear.. about 80-90% of it