R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-22-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Electric Buggy

Hi guys,

I'm still exploring all my options about which buggy to get. While I'm still considering an 8ight I am also looking into electric buggies. I went to the track last night and watched a few rounds and was impressed with the electrics. While they are different than gas I think they could be fun too. Are there any top of the line electric buggies I should look at? Something comparable to the 8ight but in electric?

As a beginning racer do you think I'd be better off going electric or gas?

Here are the track rules for electric buggies:

OPEN BUGGY:
-Electric only
-1/10 Scale, 2-Wheel Drive Buggies only
-Motors - Any Stock, 19 Turn, Modified or Brushless
-Batteries - NiCd, NiMH, LiPo, Li-Ion
-Popular Tires - Front: Losi Wide Body \ Proline Wide 4-Rib; Rear: Losi IFMAR Pin or Taper Pin \ Proline Holeshot LP or Square Fuzzie
-Examples: Associated B4, Losi XXX-CR, DuraTrax Evader BX, Sportwerks Raven BX, etc.

OPEN 4WD BUGGY:
-Electric only
-1/10 Scale 4-Wheel Drive Buggies only
-Motors - Any Stock, 19 Turn, Modified or Brushless
-Batteries - NiCd, NiMH, LiPo, Li-Ion
-Popular Tires - Front: Losi Blockhead or Taper Pin \ Proline 4WD Holeshot; Rear: Losi IFMAR Pin or Taper Pin \ Proline Holeshot LP or Square Fuzzie
-Examples: Losi XX-4 & XXX-4, JConcepts BJ4, MRC/Academy SB V2, Kyosho Lazer ZX5, etc.
Bohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Tech Adept

as a beginner i would go with electric, less maintenance and alot less tuning if you go brushless with lipos, i am running a bj4w.e. with a mamba max 7700 and max amps lipos and love it handles the rough really well and is strong,only thing i would stock up on is front arms but i only broke one so far and that was after hitting a fork truck lol ,good luck with your decision

scott
losiguy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohh
Hi guys,

I'm still exploring all my options about which buggy to get. While I'm still considering an 8ight I am also looking into electric buggies.Something comparable to the 8ight but in electric?

As a beginning racer do you think I'd be better off going electric or gas?
THere is a big difference between an 8 and electrics(1/10 scale). 4wd electric buggy(1/10 scale) with a good mod motor could be about as fast(lap time wise)indoors though.
It just depends on what you want to do and what the majority is at you local track.I would say if you you are just getting into it,I would try out an electric first.Electrics are way fun and way fast.As a beginner you would probably start out with a stock class (27turn) motor and as you get more experienced you can step up to as fast as motor as you want.

AS far as buggy's,
2wd.... Associated B4 and the Losi XXX-CR.

4wd....
Losi XX-4,Losi xxx-4G+,Kyosho ZX-5,J-Concepts BJ-4 are some examples.There are a few more but these are the most common..at least at my local indoor track.
Whatever you do .....you will have fun.
Jammin"145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I'm going to give you a setup that will give you the best of both worlds. 2wd buggy is the best class to go with because it will teach you throtle control unlike the other classes. For your motor/esc I would go with the mamba max and the 4600 motor. The novak systems have cooling problems in tight buggy bodies, this setup should push your car around at 25+ m.p.h. easily which is more then enough while you learn to drive your buggy. For your batteries/charger I would go with an a123 4600 6.6 volt pack and a sonic charger. These batteries can be charged over and over in a day and only take 30 minutes to charge. If you are looking to run 20 minute mains then I would also pick up a 2100 mah 6.6 volt pack and you can run the two packs in parallel to make the long main. If you find that this setup doesn't offer enough top end speed on a large track then pick up the a123 voltage converter that will change the voltage from 6.6 volts to 7.2 volts. It will also realy up the voltage if you want to bash around and go 50 m.p.h. on the streets or something. Odds are you will have your hands more then full with the 4600 system on 6.6 volts though. This setup will provide you with the least amount of maintanance while still offering you with adequate amounts of run time. Basicly you get the maintanance of electric brushless w/ the runtimes that nitro offers.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

as a beginner, electric will be better. a 2wd, like party_wagon said, will teach you throttle control and how to handle a little better than a 4wd, but 4wd will be a little more beginner friendly when it comes to lap times. but also, a 2wd requires less drive train and gearing maintenance. a 4wd will be able to take a faster motor and be able to handle rough a little better though. i personally run 4wd, just because i like the feel in the air better and i run MT so i can drive more like an MT than with a 2wd buggy. i actually run a tamiya dark impact and it does pretty good against most nice buggies like the losi and kyosho, but is deff not the high end racer.

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to DiscoDan

1/10 electric 2wd is my favorite class to race.
As far as which brand... I would say Associated, Losi, and Kyosho are all very competitive... so it boils down to what the majority are running locally..... I would say go with the machine that is most popular at your track and you will have more resources for setups, spare parts, etc.
Since Lipo is legal at your track... I would definaly recommend a brushless setup, there are many quality motors / esc's to chose from.
DiscoDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Thanks for the replies everyone. For the moment I'm swayed to electric. Now the goal would be to price out a brushless/lipo setup for cheaper than the 8ight RTR. I can get one for around 549 + tax.

I'm looking at the XXX-CR based on some posts I've read. I think I'd be happy with it. Can you just buy a brushless motor and drop it in or would the Diffs or other drive line components need an upgrade? Think I can do it cheaper than $549?

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 04-22-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

you can get a mamba max system for $212 off towerhobbies. and i dont think you would need to upgrade diffs or anything on that buggy. lipos are expensive though, so idk how much you would want to drop for that

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

RC10B4, T4, XXX-CR, XXX-T are all great vehicles with excellent parts availability nearly anywhere you go. Mamba Max systems are really getting popular now and can be had for under $200 now! Check out BPP for the best pricing on MM systems, but always make sure to support your local hobby shops whenever possible!

http://www.b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=40
AaronR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is it possible to convert a xxxt to a 2wd buggy like a bk2? Has anyone done it or is their a parts list someone might have.. Thanks
Leedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Thank you for the replies. Could you suggest a KV for me to put into the buggy if I went with the Mamba Max system? What is the benifit of a higher KV than a lower KV?

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 04-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The kv is the rating for rpms per volt. So a higher kv equals more rpms. I run a 4600 in my xxx-t and can barly get up to top speed. Unless you have a giant track the 4600 is great.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:14 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Here is what I would pick up w/ $550.
First off make sure you can get parts for what ever you purchase. I would probly pick up the rtr b4, it comes with a great roller and will be easy to build around.

checkpoint 19t money motor

a123 racing 4600 mah 6.6 volt pack and sonic charger and a power suply.
http://rcpcrawlers.com/batteries.html
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/158301.asp
basicly if you run your 6 minute heat and take your buggy off the track so that the motor can cool off you will only have to cut the com like once every 50 runs on the checkpoint motor. It should perform about like a stock buggy w/ a very high end battery pack w/ the a123 batteries. Stock buggy is a very idealistic place to start racing.
The a123 batteries will charge in under 15 minutes once if you run for 6 minutes and you can charge them over and over w/out any wait like lipos. They also don't catch fire if you mistreat them. Just take the car off the track if you notice a considerable amount of performance lost and recharge them. The batteries are basicly lipos w/out the draw back that can be charged faster.
All of this stuff should set you back around $500.

This will leave you room to spend money on things like tools, tires, shock fluids, and spare parts.

here is a list of things in order that you should look to upgrade over time.

get a good radio, it is a must if you are to get a better servo and it will help you to setup your car with differant options.

get a good servo, anything w/ atleast 80 oz. torque and a sub .15 second response.

get a good brushless system.

Lastly a second battery pack so that you can run for 15 minutes, switch out your battery and run for another 15 minutes while your battery charges in 25 minutes. You can basicly run for 30 minutes straight and then run 15 minutes once every 25 minutes which is the ultimate goal of this kind of setup.

There realy isn't any need to upgrade the buggy, titanium turnbuckles may be necesary, but the b4 is pretty much normaly ran bone stock like it comes in the rtr version.

Last edited by party_wagon; 04-22-2007 at 11:47 PM.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedog
Is it possible to convert a xxxt to a 2wd buggy like a bk2? Has anyone done it or is their a parts list someone might have.. Thanks

No, the chassis and everything else is different, the only thing on a buggy that is the same is the tranny,rear skid plates,front bulk head.

Wells Fargo Home Team
theanimaleide is offline   Reply With Quote