R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default HPI 1/8 Hellfire SS Kit

I just ordered one of these from my local hobby shop for $285. Seemed line a decent price and based on some reviews I found it seems to have a lot of tuning options. So I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this truck. I would also like some advice on an engine for it, preferably something easy to tune and rather reliable. This will be my first nitro so I am not looking to spend a lot on the engine. Just something I can learn with and will allow me to get a feel for driving the truck. A local guy is going to hook me up with some tires for the local dirt track but I would also like something decent for parking lot bashing.

Funny seems someone else pulled up a thread on this very kit that I missed while I was posting this so I will have a look at that. But would still appreciate any advice and answers to my question you guys might have.

Thanks, Tom
TGA78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Hey Tom, Yes Madhacker started a thread on this a while back. We are hoping others will contribute any issues or ideas to this so we can all benefit from it. I got one of those SS deals as well. The kit comes with premounted tires so you should be ok there. I installed a .21 VSPEC and JP3 pipe in mine, but that was an additional $400.00 bucks. if your looking for a lower cost engine i race with several guys who run the LRP Spec 3.
IFinishedLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Are you going to be racing it?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Tech Adept

No I have no plans to run it on race day, I just want to toy around with it. Honestly I bought it because I wanted a reasonable priced 1/8th scale to do a brushless mod with but I am not really ready to take that on so I figured I would use it to get a feel for nitro and see if I can deal with having to tune the engine all the time. If the nitro thing doesn’t drive me nuts I will probably get a RC10 GT2 for the Sunday races. Not enough people bring electrics to the track every Sunday so if I want to race every weekend it will have to be nitro.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

well if your not racing your engine options increase greatly. I still say go with a LRP spec 3 .28. it is good engine and easy to run. i think you can get them for about $175.00. if you decide to race, it can do that too. As far as a pipe goes i stand by the Jammin JP3, altough there are several others.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

one more thing.. Make sure you use a GOOD high torque steering servo. I'm using a 142 oz. JR. It seemed to be ok during my first runs today. I hope to race it tomorrow and i'll update as to how it holds up.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Tech Adept

I assume this is the engine your referring to?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKYU8&P=ML

Seems nice and being pull start I wont have to invest in extra equipment. I noticed towers says they make an adapter to use the HPI roto start witch seems cool. I would like the idea even more if I could get the parts and just use a cordless drill.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

yes...sort of. They make a truggy specific version of this engine, although it does require a starter box. The pull start is made for Monster Trucks but will work just fine in a truggy.