R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Rustler/Nitro Sport, TRX3.3 engine?? Newbie needs help.

I recently bought both a Nitro Rustler and A nitro sport used off Ebay and want to convert one to a 3.3TRX engine if possible. I can find kits to convert to a TRX 2.5Engine, will these work with a 3.3?? Also do if someone is familiar with the kits, can I buy a just the engines they sell or do I need to buy more then just the kit and the engine?

Im begging someone for help as I dont know anything about upgraging engines, heck I dont even know what parts I know, Is a TRX 3.3 a good engine to use? What would someone with more experiance recomend?

Last edited by bellr77; 04-20-2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: more direct title.
bellr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:53 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Talking hi im a rookie too

how long ago did u buy these cars
do they have a ez start the nitro sport
cause my ez start is not very good and im tryin
to use different methods
i can give u info on ez start and stuff if ain't workin
khanzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't quote me on this, but, I believe that the 3.3 is a direct replacement for the 2.5 engine.. I am not sure if you would have trouble installing this though...I can definitly find out by wednesday and repost if you do not have an answer. The conversion kit that you find is probably for converting the .15 engine to a .18(2.5r) engine.. I all may depend on what rusty you have a .15 or the 2.5r to decide weather you need a conversion kit..
And yes you can buy just the engine. The 3.3 engine runs great!....When its tuned correctly.. From my expierences they have a VERY small window of when they are tuned correct. They seem very finicky. I was also told to run nothing buy Traxxas Top Fuel 33% in the 3.3 or you could run the chance of overheating? LHS owner wouldn't tell me this for no reason.. so. The 2.5R on the otherhand will run very well, and is much easier to tune.. By this I mean that it seems to run good, even if it is not tuned precisely.
You also may need to add weight to the front and a pro-ball diff if you want to keep the front end connected with the ground, and pointing the direction you want.. It's going to be wheelie happy .

Hope some of this helps
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Definitly helps. I kinda thought it would be wheely happy so Im thinking I'll go with an extended chassis and a widening kit from New Era along with the 3.3 my Rustler is old. The Nitro Sport I got already has a TRX 2.5 conversion so I want to make the Rusty a project truck while the Nitro Sport will bee my basher for now I ordered I pile of parts for i beccause I had money to spend when I bought it and was gonna buy a Jato 3.3 but then I realized I was more excited about upgrading the truck then anything so I figured Id start with a base model and build a beast.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot what is a pro ball diff and where do I find them?

Is the 33% Traxxas Fuel thing true? Could anyone confirm or deny??
Old 04-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to sp2thielen

you can just drop in a 3.3. just did itfor a guy. smokin fast. buy lots of tires
Kyosho ST-RR/ Medial Pro
sp2thielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

I just ordered mine, did he have alot of problems with wheelies? It wasnt like undrivable?
Old 04-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to sp2thielen

no but it is hard on tires. havent seen it with a good tune yet. only 4 tanks in it.
Kyosho ST-RR/ Medial Pro
sp2thielen is offline   Reply With Quote