R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Starting Racer - Need Advice about vehicles

Hi guys,

Looking to get into racing this season at my local off road dirt track. Talking to the LHS they say that 1/8 scale truggys and buggys are the most popular classes. So - I'm looking at the Losi 8ight and 8ight-T based on their recommendation.

Would either of these be a good vehicle for a beginner racer? Would a buggy or a truggy be better? I only own a stadium truck and a monster truck so I am unfamiliar with how either of these classes handle.

Additionally, they said the ready to run 8ight would be a good choice for me because it comes with the spektrum radio, motor, servo's, etc. However, I don't know if the Spektrum radio is any good - would I be better served to just go all the way and get a good radio and the pro kit of the buggy or the truggy and build my own?

Thanks a lot,

-Mike
Bohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to grd4spd25

truggies are easier to drive...i think. it all depends on how deep into it you want to get. the fastest truggies at my track are the mugen mbx5t. this truck with a good .21 is real easy to drive. radio's i think are about preference and what you want. spektrum radio are good, no crystals to mess with.

what i go by is the fun factor. you can either go with a rtr or a pro kit or whatever, but you gotta have fun doing it. i raced half a season with a rtr,rtr radio and had a blast. if you want to be fast it takes practice and nice driving. you could have the best stuff in the world but if your on your lid most of the time its not the fast way around the track.
~john
grd4spd25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

persoanlly if you can afford it, I would say get a good radio and a spektrum set up, I hate the DX radios, I find they arn't very linear, and its harder to drive smooth with them, IMO youd be better off getting a used Airtornics M8, or Futaba 3PK, then you know you wont ever have to get another radio, and then get a kit so you understand how it all goes togehter, and you can also do any mods or upgrades people recomend right from the start,

now if your on a budget and have to get a RTR, then the DX radio is better because most RTR cars come with total garbage radios, another good RTR is the CEN matrix, it comes with a nice digital radio, and decent servos to start with,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Additionally, they said the ready to run 8ight would be a good choice for me because it comes with the spektrum radio, motor, servo's, etc. However, I don't know if the Spektrum radio is any good - would I be better served to just go all the way and get a good radio and the pro kit of the buggy or the truggy and build my own?
The 8ight RTR is a great way to start. All it needs is diff fluids and a better servo,(just swap the steering servo to the throttle, adn get a nice high torque steering servo) and you'll have a great racer. There's nothing wrong with the DX series of DSM radios, I've been racing with one for a couple years now, both on and off road. If it had problems, I'd have found them by now.

It's always best to go with a kit, but if you're looking to save a little $$$, the 8ight RTR is an excelent choice. Read through the forums, you'll find most people are happy with theirs.
R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I would do the following.
First-find out what other drivers at your local track are racing.
they can help you w/ setups and stuff.
Buggies are going to teach you to be a better driver then a truck will, tires and ect. are also cheaper.
Get a kit so that you assemble it and know how to fix things when they go wrong.
For a power plant go w/ something mild like an o.s. vg or a nova n21 bf or a rb 3port econo.
For a radio pick up a used m-8 or a used 3pk. You can sale the used radio for the same price you purchased it normaly.
Then pick up a good digital servo for steering and a good standard servo for throtle/brakes.
If you blow a large wad at the lhs then they should be willing to help you out if you have questions about building the kit and ect.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

have you went and checked out a race? I would go and see what classes you like. Also, see what parts they stock. If they can get Horizon stuff, You can get CEN parts no problem.

I would start off with a buggy as it will be cheaper for parts and tires and is quite fun too.

As for radios, I have a DX series spektrum and I love it. At a minimum, I would go spektrum.

At your track, no one races monster trucks?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have been a spectator at races before and they race quite a few classes. I'd say the 1/8th gas buggies and truggies interest me the most. Which is why I'm considering the 8ight or 8ight-T, but if you know of something better let me know.

I was thinking the 8ight buggy would be a good start because it has a decent radio that I could use for another car down the line also.

I also have a Associated T3 that I bought years ago and haven't messed with and I'm looking to get that into shape as I'd like to race that. We also have a monster truck class and I'll be trying my T-Maxx in that, though I doubt it will have a chance.

Thanks a lot everyone! So you think the 8ight's a good choice then? Any other buggies I'm over looking?

-Mike
Old 04-19-2007, 10:21 AM   #8
Tech Regular

I have a concern - I've been browsing through the forums and I keep reading that people are suggesting 2wd vehicles so you can "learn to drive better" Will I be at a disadvantage in terms of learning by choosing the 8ight due to it being 4wd?

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 04-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
Tech Addict

You won't be at a disadvantage, but 2wd vehicles take a different driving technique, especially in lower traction environments. If you just mash the throttle with no self control you could very likely see you 2wd vehicle poining in the wrong direction. 2wd vehicles teach you (if you want to learn) to control your throttle so that you give power when the wheels are able to accept it. 4wd vehicles are easy to drive without spinning them out so you generally don't learn that control. But if you spend enough time driving and trying to improve you will have fun and get better no matter what you decide on.
Warhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Personally, I'd favor racing 2 wd electric stadium truck because you just flip a switch and go. Nitro engines require tuning and typically an assistant to help. If they allow brushless lipo electric stadium truck, you would have a vehicle you can simply take out of the box, set it down on the track and race. For me, less hassle makes it more enjoyable. As for the 2 wd learning factor, it takes more throttle finesse, but that's part of the fun. If the electric rules require nimh batteries and brush motors, there is more work and expense, 2-4 packs of batteries, charger, discharger and equalizing tray, possibly your own comm lathe.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

CEN Matrix TR
@ headrushhobbies.com
Old 04-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I'm still researching all the options available to me, but I have decided I'd like to go with either an electric or gas buggy. I have a thread on electrics, so I was wondering if you all could give me your opinions on how an 8ight RTR would be for a beginning racer? A lot of people at the local track seem to have purchased 8ights and are now selling them. Is there something I don't know?

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 04-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
Tech Addict

From what I have heard and read they are a great platform but are a tad twitchy to drive. They are more suited to intermediate to advanced racers was what I read in the review.

For my .02 I'd say the Mugen MBX5 Prospec. No rtr version tho. Gotta buy the kit and build it. Building it is cool tho. And if you do get the kit and build it you'll be ready to tear it down and repair it once something breaks.
Warhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Do you think you can give an actual budget? I realize that you are trying to race, but coming up with an actual setup in that budget isn't easy w/out a budget. Not to mention here is a list of things that you must have. Any high end 1/8th scale buggy will be fast with the right driver and the right setup. However some last longer then others, that is the only thing that realy seperates these buggies. On any given week you can see a differant buggy on the podium, the best teams podium the most people.

-hex drivers and nut drivers $40
-shock oils/diff oils $15
-charger for reciever pack $50
-tires,fuel,spare parts for a season of racing-aproximately $25-$30 a day you spend at the track. I figure a gallon of fuel and a set of tires once every three days and $6 a day for random parts.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote