R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Anyone ever had a run away R/C?

Curious if anyone has ever had a electric(or nitro)R/C lose radio signal and just took off till it hit something? Is this more likely to happen with one then the other(nitro/electric)?
Snipesr82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:49 AM   #2
Tech Elite

It can happen with either. I have driven my cars to the limit of radio range, but fortunately they have never gone full throttle into the distance.

Probably a shade more likely with nitro because they tend to create more interference internally with all the linkages and moving metal parts. Also a nitro is generally a bit faster so will go out of range in less time.

This is why most nitro tracks INSIST on a correctly set failsafe. And also why all tracks INSIST on correct radio discipline.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:11 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to racer34v

I learned a valuable lesson last week. Dont use the switch in the radio box, Plug your reciever pack right into the reciever, And #2 and most importantly USE a throttle return spring.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/3306

You can get 2 for $2.25

Having one would have save my engine, I cased a jump causing the reciever pack to become unplugged from the switch and the engine went WOT upside down and ran long enough unloaded to seize the rod bush break the rod & piston & mark the sleeve. Luckilly it was a cheap ofna RTR mill and was a good excuse to upgrade, But 3 tanks after breakin was not the life expectancy.

Hope this helps!!
racer34v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:14 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

I use one of the little rubber band type pony tail holders. Stole it off the little woman. Wrap it around the carb body a couple times the twist and slide over the horn. Wa La cheap return thing, and she'll never know if you never tell.
Fear_of_Midgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to scottk

I learnt a BIG lesson when i had a duratrax nitro evader i was bashing out the front of my house and when i jumped off the gutter onto the road at about half throttle one of the batterys popped out of the battery box at the back therfore i had no sterring or throttle control. It started heading off. To make matters worse i live near a busy 3 lane either way main road. So after i realised it was out of control i piss bolted after it and there was no chance i could catch it. The outside cars stopped and started beeping at me then this guy in a 4wd absolutly oblivious to what was happening just went straight through right over the top of it at 80kph. Oh NO NO NO. Any way when there was a break in the traffic i ran out and picked up what i could.

I did rebuild it and the first thing i bought in the rebuild was a failsafe.
good move
BY the way the only thing wrong with the engine was a squashed head. Replaced the head and carby and worked perfectly.(OS ENGINES BLOODY TOUGH)

Dont make the same mistake as me
cheers
Scotty
scottk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

The rubberband trick is very cheap to do and you can tune how strong the pull you need on the carb is. I do this now with my nitro vehicle as using a throttle return spring setup can kill some servos if the spring is too strong.

I run this in conjunction with the failsafe feature built in to my spektrum setup.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to MADMAN23

2 year's ago i ran my t-maxx in my yard.. i went threw 2 tanks .. on the 3 tank the reciver pack went dead .i only had sterring... and it was going half throttle... so i had to steer it to me and pick it up.. it almost broke my finger's .. my finger's and my wrist was hurting almost a hole week... i leard my lesson...
MADMAN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My first day of racing my electric truck got on someone else's frequency and took off and hit the wall and broke. That is the only insident I've had.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to MADMAN23

xxxcrracer i had that happen also .only he did it to make me mad.. it made me a little mad .. my r/c hit a tree.. didn't hurt my truck tho..lol
MADMAN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Around our track we have a 2 foot brick wall so when it hit. It broke the front end. Has happened since, since now I run Spectrum.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to dozer1160

i had a nitro hawk hit a bump and the batts popped out and it headed for a bank and into the lake at full throtle
dozer1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

im pretty sure rc10gt's are the most open to thise happen. Jumping the driveways out front. I was tuning suspension, a lil to soft and back end slapped the ground. The receiever slid outa the two zipties and double sided tape and out the back end and off it went. boy that was fun haha
andrew-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Never a lost signal with the 3pk. Unfortunately the idle was set incorrectly once. Running after a nitro MT on an empty field was an experience to forget.
secretsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:56 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dirt-Racer

When your jaw drops and find yourself frozen, you know your car is screwed
Dirt-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:32 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Worse feeling in the world is having a run a way, i use rubber bands aswell and find its quite sufficient with digital servos.
FrankBlack is offline   Reply With Quote