Wiki Posts
Search

Airplane esc on 1/10th scale truck??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Airplane esc on 1/10th scale truck??

I was looking into running a stock brushless system on my XXX-T but I can't afford to get the hole Novak system so I was thinking about going and getting an esc for an aircraft because you can get them fairly cheap and there from good brands allot of the time. So could I do this and get away with doing this?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

you could but you would lose brakes. Planes don't need them so they're not programmed in.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
you could but you would lose brakes. Planes don't need them so they're not programmed in.

I found a few that do come with brake's, So it would work?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All the airplane one's I've seen that can handle substantial amperage are in the same price range as a car ESC. You can get a mamba max esc for around $125.00 and it will have brakes. Also, the airplane one's are limited to sensorless brushless motors, so that eliminates a good number of popular motors.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

BTW- how many amp's should I try and get from the esc(exc. 25A-35A)
Old 04-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shawn17
BTW- how many amp's should I try and get from the esc(exc. 25A-35A)
That's a good question. Its going to depend on what motor you intend to use. As well, you need to take into account surge amperage. On a model airplane, the prop provides a fairly steady load. On a wheeled vehicle, it takes a lot more current to accellerate from a stop, or if you get stuck or jambed. All the good rc car controllers have some thermal overload protection. A cheap rc plane controller likely doesnt. I smoked one once by using the wrong prop.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Minimum amps for a 1/10 car would be around 70-80.

But for an "airplane" esc you would want to double that if you want it to actually work. And airplane escs have "prop" brakes... not good for cars... that's a full 100% lock brake normally.

These have been used in cars before but not without some issues and special requirements. For example some will only work with a two-stick radio....

But you can do what you want....
Old 04-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
Minimum amps for a 1/10 car would be around 70-80.

But for an "airplane" esc you would want to double that if you want it to actually work. And airplane escs have "prop" brakes... not good for cars... that's a full 100% lock brake normally.

These have been used in cars before but not without some issues and special requirements. For example some will only work with a two-stick radio....

But you can do what you want....

I'm really not trying to waste money on something that isent right so this brings me to this.......Does anyone know of a decent(and cheap) brushless esc that I can run a novak stock 13.5 on a 6c 4200 batt.?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Novak and LRP are both releasing new cheap brushless escs that would do fine with that motor. I don't know exactly when they are available... maybe someone here knows....

You could also check what prices you can find on an Mtroniks... they can be hard to find in the US but they are pretty good and I've seen them cheap like around $100

When Castle releases their new software for the MambaMax then it will be a good choice too.