R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-17-2007, 12:08 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default kyosho ZX5 chassis broken at front battery post

I drove my new kyosho zx5 for one battery pack and the chassis chunked off at the front battery post. Is this common?

I drove very easy and the track is very soft. I am a decent driver. I go to the track 1-2 times a week for the past 4 years. I am usually in the b main if I race.

One guy at the track drove one pack and his broke too. The other guy drove 3 laps and his front shock tower broke.

I am very disappointed at this car. I have several kyosho gas 1/8 buggies and they are great but this ZX5 is not good. Maybe Kyosho should stick w/ gas buggies and get out of electric offroad.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Knock on wood, my car has been great. I think I broke one front shock tower the whole time I owned it.

I love this car.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184104

WWW.BUSTOUTBMX.COM
TheTurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:58 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

go on the kyosho thread. there is a post on this "problem"

they upgraded the chassis. you prob got the old chassis. the new chassis got a "+" shaped mould on the battery post.

i did break my old style chassis. my fault. bad crash. but i fixed it easy. just glue it back on and run a 3mm washer under the chassis and a button head screw.

i ran like this for over 10 races meets now and its all good.

i also got a new chassis now, but have never used it because the fix i did is holding up well.

zx-5 is very strong car. as strong as anything out there, and much better than losi, with a few hopups like aluminium tower holder and front lower alum brace.

the only thing that is "weak" is the front shock tower. however the good thing is that when it breaks, it doesnt break off completely and therefore you will be able to finish the heat with it.

and no offence, but you can't drive an electric car like a 1/8th. they just cant be bashed like a 1/8th. teaches you to be more carefull.

i heard this one guy say he broke hing pins, arms etc. i told him thats strange i never broken arms or pins before. then i saw him drive and i then knew why....
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:34 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam
go on the kyosho thread. there is a post on this "problem"

they upgraded the chassis. you prob got the old chassis. the new chassis got a "+" shaped mould on the battery post.

i did break my old style chassis. my fault. bad crash. but i fixed it easy. just glue it back on and run a 3mm washer under the chassis and a button head screw.

i ran like this for over 10 races meets now and its all good.

i also got a new chassis now, but have never used it because the fix i did is holding up well.

zx-5 is very strong car. as strong as anything out there, and much better than losi, with a few hopups like aluminium tower holder and front lower alum brace.

the only thing that is "weak" is the front shock tower. however the good thing is that when it breaks, it doesnt break off completely and therefore you will be able to finish the heat with it.

and no offence, but you can't drive an electric car like a 1/8th. they just cant be bashed like a 1/8th. teaches you to be more carefull.

i heard this one guy say he broke hing pins, arms etc. i told him thats strange i never broken arms or pins before. then i saw him drive and i then knew why....
I had the exact same thing happen as GymBeam and I did the washer/glue fix. Now I have a brand new chassis in my pit box that I have yet to use. I bet I have raced 100 packs and had some serious wrecks without the "fix" failing.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

I have several 1/10 electric buggies, so my driving should not be an issue.

Since I have to get a new chassis eventually, has anyone tried the conversion: KM Concept conversion

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=482&id=6029
Old 04-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

I just talked to Kyosho USA, they don't have a revised chassis. Can someone post a pic of the reinforeced chassis? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightaway
I just talked to Kyosho USA, they don't have a revised chassis. Can someone post a pic of the reinforeced chassis? Thanks.
There is no question that they did release a revised chassis. Whoever you talked was apparently not informed. Here is a link from amainhobbies website that clearly shows the new cross bracing:

Revised Chassis Pic
Old 04-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I broke mine in the first few packs...nothing dramatic, just flipped it off a roller deal and the battery was hanging out. I just poked a hole next to the original location and used a button head to hold the post. It never broke and I ran it for months after than until I finally replaced the chassis.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio
There is no question that they did release a revised chassis. Whoever you talked was apparently not informed. Here is a link from amainhobbies website that clearly shows the new cross bracing:

Revised Chassis Pic
I just place an $100 order from A main (free shipping ).

Thanks for all your help. I am going to try the 3mm washer + button head method. Until it breaks, I will have a new chassis coming. $26 for a chassis is not bad, it is actually cheaper than the suggested retail in Japanese $.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightaway
I just place an $100 order from A main (free shipping ).

Thanks for all your help. I am going to try the 3mm washer + button head method. Until it breaks, I will have a new chassis coming. $26 for a chassis is not bad, it is actually cheaper than the suggested retail in Japanese $.
If it's not too late, you might request that they make sure and send you the updated chassis. They might have some of the old ones in stock still. That's what I did and they emailed me back saying they made sure I had the right one...
Old 04-17-2007, 07:04 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Did it break landing coming off a jump? That seems like a weird place for it to break...

Last edited by Team ComeBack; 04-17-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Team ComeBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

i see some zx5 going around they look real strong

Last edited by POOKGAI66; 04-26-2007 at 10:46 PM.
POOKGAI66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team ComeBack
Did it break landing coming off a jump? That seems like a weird place for it to break...
no, what I heard was that if the space foam were not used, battery will ram hard toward the post when landing to hard. This will reduce it from happening.

However someone said even if the foam is used, it will still break if land too hard. That is why they updated chassis.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #14
Tech Regular

I see.... maybe I should get a new chassis....
Team ComeBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 02:31 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

I have the old chassis and I put a bunch of epoxy around the front battery post to help strengthen it. Once our track gets up and running here soon I'll see how it holds up.