Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking at Truggies

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Well, I don't have a Truggy right this moment, but…

I have been going through the same decision process. I finally settled on the Matrix TR Arena RTR. I should have it by the middle of the week and hope to race it that Sunday.
Most of what I have researched on the TR Arena has been positive and one of the LHS in my area has parts hanging on the wall, which I feel is important.
I didn't feel like building another kit at the moment (still have two electric kits to do right now), but if I was; it would have been a tough choice for me between the Matrix TR Arena FRE and the Mugen MBX5T standard kit.

I do have a Mugen MBX5 Prospec. I started out with a Mayhem Pro and for me personally; the Mugen was a big improvement. I also bought a bunch of spare parts for the MBX5 and they are all still "NIB".
IMO Mugen makes some of the best stuff around and you wouldn't be wrong going with the MBX5T (standard or Prospec).
Hopefully, I will be able to say similar about the CEN Matrix TR Arena.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

A few months ago, I started the Truggy debate with myself. The 8T wasnt out, but the specs were available. Once I did all the groundwork, looking at price, layout, parts, upgrade-ability, ect...

I found the best bang for the buck was the GS XUT, doesnt come in a kit (as far as I know), but it was my opinion, that was the truggy I was going to get.

I ended up not going Nitro, and stayed electric.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Unless you cannot or will not use the internet, parts for any brand of buggy/truggy are no more than a couple of days shipping away. I'm currently running a CEN matrix buggy and if it were not for buying from online stores it would still be sitting in the box partially completed.

Like almost every kit I've ever built, it was short a few parts (mostly hardware) and rather than wait to get the situation resolved through regular channels I just ordered what I needed and got the thing done.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am running the Kyote STR and the thing is awesome on the track with excellent handling great on tight tracks and is super fast. I have tryed the CRT myself and it doesnt work to my favor in handling maybe it was the setup but in our club it is nothing but STR and CRT mainly cause there is no parts for mugen cen or the losi.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go with the CEN Matrix TR, great truck.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

I'm glad I started this thread, lots of good info.

When I said Ofna I was meaning the Jammin Truggy.

I just found out my LHS track is up for sale and might not be around in a few months, so I'm now going to hold off until another track is found.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)

Sorry to hear about your track that really sucks... but if you do decide to pick up a truggy buy the LOSI. It is definately the best.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I just ran my new CEN Matrix TR Arena truggy for the first time this weekend. I was very happy with it. No problems putting it in the A main. Only Good things to say about this Truck.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Addict

Nice, did you have to dial it in to the track or did the "out of the box" setup work for you?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

I started with Gene Hickerson's set up and only changed the center diff oil for more drive to get over a couple jump out of the corners and took off the front sway bar. The truck reacts really well to adjustments so I`m sure It`s going to be even better when i get more time on it.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Was it pretty easy to get the diff in and out? Ease of adjustability and overall adjustability is important.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

It`s alittle tighter than normal with the chassis braces but once you get it down it's really not that different. I got to do it twice because i forgot to put the drive shafts in the first time.LOL. Other than that the adjustability is as easy as any other buggy/ truggy I`ve ran. Like I said it`s only going to get better after I get to run it a couple more times!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default Racin

Depend's on Drivin Style's...........

I Drive the 8ight-t,Because it drive's like an ON-ROAD 1/10th 4wheel car......... Twitchy,Loose if pushed and a ton of on power steering.......Handle's the rough stuff easily...Great Jumping......

The Mugen,Jammin,Koysho,Great in there on way....Much easyer to drive.............

Just remember that LOOSE is FAST!!! LOL!!

Any of the top's will do just fine im sure.....
Have fun in the TRUGGY WARS!! LOL!
Old 04-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

If I was sure my track wasn't in danger of going away I'd probably get the 8T or the Mugen. If the track looks like it will survive I'll get one or the other.