R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Good starter Stadium Truck?

hello all;
i am looking to buy a stadium truck, funding permitting , and was wondering what would be a good truck to start with. i am only planning to bash, as i'll save up while i have the truck until i can get a good racer. i have a budget of about 150 GBP (300 USD ish) and i thought maybe an HPI rush evo? i can get them for that on ebay and they look cool, but if anyone can find a cooler looking one for a similar price, i might be won over.

Joe
Old 04-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

First of all you shouldn't buy because they look cool. Your purchase can be very skewed because of it.

I suggest a Team Losi XXX-NT RTR or a AE RC10GT2 RTR. Their pro kit brothers win races world wide so they are great to learn with. Plus if you get the GT2 RTR you will be familar with the FTGT2 (Pro kit).
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Tech Elite

but how much though? and i want to buy it because it looks good quality inside aswell lol... its a respected brand, and as it seems a good thing to start with.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
Tech Master

The GT2 can be had for around $300 and up with good starting epuipment and supplies bought.
The Losi will run you a little higher but I has far better electronics stock.

The HPI Rush Evo is a great lil truck but its discontinued and parts will be scarce to find compared to the Losi and AE. The Rush has been replaced with the Firestorm. Do you have a link to the Rush?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

xxx-nt 2 rtr. comes with awsome electronics and is a well known brand so parts are easy to find. gt2 is a nice truck but the electronics, i think, are crap. my honest opinion.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Tech Elite

New HPI rushes on ebay buy it now all the time and on websites, and even more good condition second hands (although i don't know what they put the engine through so i got a spare just in case i blow one up or whatever)
Old 04-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #7
Tech Adept

I got the xxx-t RTR brushless for my 1st truck and love it. The electronics and radio are quite good. The extra cost of the brushless was worth it to me for the ease of maintenance. Besides, I think it will make a good platform when I wanna go racing. 2 birds w/ one stone and all that....

Natch, I broke the shit out of it the 1st day, b/c my driving skills were lame, so the most imp factor was how easy the parts are to get. My local hobby shop carries mostly Traxxas, Assoicated and Losi, so that made it a 3 way race. HPI and others are very tough to get parts for here.

I would recommend checking that aspect, although anything is available on the net, it sucks to wait if you don't have to.
swannco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

my order of picking car companys would go

1. losi
2. Associated
3. tie with traxxas and probably duratraxx
4. any other brand like hpi or xtm...
Old 04-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
Tech Elite

well so far i've only been to one of the local hobby shops, and it stocks mostly Traxxas, Assosciated and thunder tiger parts, but there are a few more in the general area. there is one that would probably stock firestorm parts though my budget doesnt quite stretch far enough to a firestorm. i wish it did... i did my research and i can get a rush evo for 142 Inc P+P on ebay, or with starter set and some fuel for about 160.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Either an Associated T4 or Losi XXX-T depending on local parts availability. Both are high quality, well designed and will be good for racing if you want to get into it. I think the XXX-T brushless RTR would be well worth the extra coin. With brushless you will get more runtime and have a motor that keeps performing at optimum for longer.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #11
Tech Elite

btw i'm planing on getting nitro, as i started with radioshack style electric cars (not that we have radioshack here). i get bored with the 'whiiiiiiirrrrrrr' of electric easily. then again, i have only ever heard a nitro engine go a few times.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #12
Tech Elite

XXX-NT - 200
RC10GT2 - 240
RC10GT Plus (whatever the plus means. hop ups included?) - 170 (pre owned 150)
Firestorm 10T - 175
Rush Evo - 142

all prices from modelsport.co.uk (the best place i've found so far, and it has next day delivery on orders placed before 2pm)

i think its worth spending the extra dosh on the RC10GT, but is it as good as the firestorm?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

well if you want a good electric rc to bash try the duratrax evader and if you dont want electric try the nitro evader st they are both good and my electric evader st with it's pro mod motor is vary fast and doesn't brake that often but thats just my 2 cents
evader,racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #14
Tech Master

Go with the Losi.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath
btw i'm planing on getting nitro, as i started with radioshack style electric cars (not that we have radioshack here). i get bored with the 'whiiiiiiirrrrrrr' of electric easily. then again, i have only ever heard a nitro engine go a few times.
In the late 90's I got into R/C with actual Radio Shack vehicles, eventually about 6-8 in total. Then I heard about "real" hobby cars, went to a shop, bought a RTR T3. So much more fun than the "whirrr" things, 50% more speed out of the box, handling light years better....

They have decided to only run nitro at one local off-road track because there was no fair way to run elec and nitro - elec was killing nitro by a few laps by guys in 4300/5800 systems like the Losi RTR. It didn't help that some of the elec guys were top notch drivers. They are open to still having elec but only as a separately organized class.

I actually enjoy the smell and sound of Nitro, nothing quite like that, but race quality electric today by no means falls short in the speed, power and fun factors. Particularly for running around without mucking up neighbor's quiet times.

Enjoy whatever you get and let us know what you decide.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote