Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits. >

Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.

Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

i wanna.

email sent....need pics and 8ight pricing.

Last edited by dirtracer1; 04-10-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

8th scale buggies also use varying viscocities of oil to tune the handling, unlike electrics with adjustable ball bearing diffs, one-ways, spools, and normal gear diffs. You shouldn't have to convert all that if you can just retain the throttle servo. A Z590 is all that is needed to operate the brakes.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by R40Victim
So what?
dude.....do you know that you just told rick hohwart "so what"? ......and with a sarcastic smiley face no less.

that's like blowing off richard petty bro.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

i have heard all you need to do is "y" harness a brake servo in with the speed control, pretty simple. but the motor would need a clutch of some type to disengage from the spur gear. still it could be done easily.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'd buy a conversion kit for an RC8. Please keep us posted.

As far as brakes go, it's a driving style adjustment when going from nitro to electric. It might help to chant "smooth and in the groove" and "slower is faster" before going to the racetrack.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

dude.....do you know that you just told rick hohwart "so what"? ......and with a sarcastic smiley face no less.
Am I to be smyted by the RC Gods now...

I just don't know if a ball bearing diff would hold up in 8th scale, but with smooth electric power, I dunno. A one way is feasible, I have one in my 8th scale on road car(it's a balistic misile with a locked rear diff) The motor being brushless means when not given power, it would rotate freely, and be something like a clutch disengaging. The rotor would have some mass, but not alot. With electric braking, the braking distribution would be decided by diff fluid viscocity...so how would you tune it, for power or breaking distribution? This is still all up in the air, so before I sound like too much of a killjoy, I wanna drive one! I'd like to see if we can essentially convert these things to really big and durable electric 4WDs. I had a XXX-4, and it was fun, but twitchy and easy to break by comparison.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Champion

i have heard all you need to do is "y" harness a brake servo in with the speed control, pretty simple. but the motor would need a clutch of some type to disengage from the spur gear. still it could be done easily.
I've seen it done before, but I don't think you'd have to disengage the motor at any point. Even if that simple "y" harness didn't work, you can set your third channel to react to the 2nd, and respond just like a brake is supposed to. One of my radios even has ABS!...I think this could be alot of fun...patiently waiting...
Old 04-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Am I to be smyted by the RC Gods now... :sneaky
ya never know.........after seeing it sleet here in florida on easter sunday, i wouldn't be surpirsed by a few stray lightning bolts if i were you.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Rick is right... electric 1/8 don't need no stinkin brakes.

My 8ight does just fine without the f/r bias adjustment. It actually has steering... maybe some of hte other sleds need the rear brake to turn but not the losi, LOL.....

I also have parts and have some parts in the works for copying what I have done with my cars. All others only copy mine
Old 04-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hmmmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAsoBRFMd0Q
Old 04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I find myself very interested in the concept of being able to switch my 1/8 nitro buggy over to electric, and back. I'm actually rather surprised that the current R/C manufacturers haven't tried to capitalize on this concept themselves yet. There are so many advantages it isn't even funny:

-for the manufacturers, they get to use all the same suspension, transmission, shocks, rims, tires, gearboxes, wing and body to carry-over to a new sku, while cutting costs due to only having to redesign a few smal elements of the rolling chassis. From a $$ perspective, it makes total sense.

-racers & bashers who enjoy electric AND nitro can have both in one common platform, and since electric & nitro use all the same shared components listed above, you don't need to worry about carrying spares for a whole different vehicle.

-You can now race the big 1/8 buggies indoors, without all the fumes and ventilation issues that nitro brings with it. The quietness of electric, with the tank-like durability of 1/8.

All that having been said, I believe that there are still some issues to be resolved. For example, I've seen some 1/8 conversions that have two full battery packs (12 cells total) while some conversions only seem to have one pack, presumably a lipo batt.

My question is this: can a 1/8 buggy with a single lipo pack (a Max Amps 7.4V 12000mah, for example ) acheive the same running performance as its nitro counterpart, or would it truly need two battery packs to do this?

Also, what would the total run-time be with the Max Amps battery stated above?

With regards to the ESC and Motor, would something like a Novak HV 4.5 be acceptable? Would this allow for similar performance to nitro? If not, what would be able to function reliably?

I think that if we can collectively address some of these issues, we can definitely help lay the groundwork for a whole new racing category. Granted, Nitro still has its own charm, and cannot really be replaced because of that, but it would certainly be nice to have choices
Old 04-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Perhaps people just need to drive better. If you guys will remeber the original 777 didn't need much braking action to turn well. All you have to do is set your buggy up so that it will transfer more weight to the front of the buggy. Most people who drive 1/8th scale can't drive worth crap so they run a super forgiving setup that allows them to blast the throtle and then blast the brakes non stop for 45 minutes. To run the brake servo in the eight you pretty much have to decide if you want to completely unballance the car and move things way from the center of if you want to run without the servo. In the case of electric the battery is heavier then the motor. Odds are your battery will weight in close to two pounds so it is right where it needs to be on these layouts. If you want to run a brake servo then I would recommend running a differant car.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah, I've been dreaming of an electric 1/8th buggy for a long time. Hopefully I'll be able to build one this summer. Based on an XB8. I'll try and keep the CG and wieght bias the same, and use a mini servo on the brakes.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Tech Champion

hmmmmm
Awsome! Seems to have plenty of power...what's the run-time like? How does it handle off road? What are you using for a battery, and how much did you spend building it?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The car in the video is very fast... but it's actually a bad setup because it's overgeared/overvolted... everything runs too hot and it thermals. That guy has since changed it up.

But... you can have a car that is close to that speed and work much better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service