R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 4wd Buggy Tire...

I'm hoping some in the group could help me out here. I'm wondering what tires to run on a 4wd 1/10th buggy. Most of our tracks in the area are what one could call a "brownie batter" track. A very loamy, loose surface with just enough sand to be annoying. Also, most track directors seem to be a bit over zealous with the watering, often leaving muddy spots around the track for the first heat or two.

Now, what tire would I be best off with here? I'm thinking of getting a set of Losi ifmar studs. But should I run into a dryer, more hard packed situation, would these tires work as well? What about trying to cut down a pair of bow ties for the front?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Lost Aggresiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

no one can tell you on the internet. when you get 5 people giving various answers you will end up with 5 different types and compounds. why dont u just run what the fast guys at the track run.
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My opinion...... That and there aren't many choices..

IFMAR studs are probably your only choice for that sort of track..... I run them most of the time.

Holeshots when it packs and drys out. Some of the guys around here run Blockheads, but I've never tried them.

Bowties tear up foams too fast due to that wacky "tread" inside the carcass. I like the tire, but foams die in 1 or 2 race days.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If your pretty handy (you did mention making Bowtie fronts), make a set of Step Pin fronts, and a set of Big Shot fronts. I run on a couple loamy tracks, and even though the pins on the Big Shots looked way to small, they performed very well. Especially as the track drys out and becomes more dusty than muddy.
jk racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Sounds like an Ifmar Pin/Stud or Stepins track.... big shots are about the same as pins.

My track is a "pins" track too... ifmar pin or big shot. Studs and Steps will work too and last longer but the pins hook up best.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

I think Ifmar studs would be the way to go if you don't feel like making a set. Unless the track gets real hard, they work pretty well. On a hard, dry, with loose top layer track, I used Ifmar pins with good results.
On a different note, who is the ugly dude you have as your avatar. I think you need to change it 'cuz its making me ill

P.S. Thanks for the cheap car.
Ntwadumela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntwadumela
P.S. Thanks for the cheap car.
Yeah, yeah, whatever. Guess what car all these questions are for? I never learn.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Well, at least we can share setups. I have an extra set of Ifmar studs mounted up if you want to try them. They are on Tamiya rims, but if you use a spacer they work. I might try stud front/step rear if the car continues to turn as well as it did last year.
Looks like I may be able to get out to the track a little more often this summer because I don't have to work every other Saturday.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:32 AM   #9
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I would probably have a set of IFMAR studs in both the silver and the red compounds ready. Some ran in IFMAR studs Red Compound still work pretty well where the surface may be ideal for pins. Could be a way to go if you don't want to be cutting up tires. I really wish losi did not discountinue making that front.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Blockheads work okay. Taper pins when it gets blue grooved. Holeshot will work when it starts drying the track.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXCRRacer
Blockheads work okay. Taper pins when it gets blue grooved. Holeshot will work when it starts drying the track.
Yeah, that's the thing. Our tracks don't blue groove. They're not 'brown' carpet. Most tire companies seem to only make 4wd front tires for those kinds of tracks. I'm just trying to figure what tires might work on my home tracks.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

I don't know how well these are going to work but I just ordered some Kyosho H pin tires (W5641S/W5631S). If I am looking at the itty bitty picture on Kyosho's web store right, they should be pretty decent. It looks like they have a rather tall knob with an H pattern lug in the center. Have to wait to see what they look like when they come in.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Yes, that is a small pic they give you. But I like the tread pattern. Look beefy enough to dig in, but spaced out enough it shouldn't load up too badly either. Have to give those a shot.

Bill.