R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Motor and battery recomendations for gts pro?

Hi everyone. Im planning to bulid a Associated t4 to race. Im only planning to run a 19t class or something a little bit more then stock. Ive decided on the Novak GTS pro sport ESC. I was wondering if you guys could give me some recomendations on a motor that runs good with that esc. Also i dont know much about batteries except for the fact that i want Ni-Mh and that im going to try to bulid my own stick. I started with nitro and have never tried electric before so any advice on motors, batteries, and chargers would be apperciated. Like i said i dont plan to run a hardcore brushless class. I just want to run something that can introduce me to electric racing. Thanks everyone.
Mjk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Welcome to electric!

I would say starting out, I would look for the following:

1. ESC that does 6V BEC at 3Amp (Tekins are extremely easy to adjust)
2. 19T Reedy Quad Mag or Checkpoint 19T Money Motor
3. Motor Lathe (as you are not doing brushless)
4. Matched battery packs in Side x Side (NOT STICK) configuration, 3800 and above
5. Quality connnectors like Deans or powerpoles (I use the poles)
6. Soldering Iron and Quality solder
7. MRC 989 charger
8. Discharge Tray (I like the Integy 20amp unit, but others may like ones that have an adjustable cutoff)

If you do brushless like a mamba max, you don't need the motor lathe, if speed is an issue, go with a slower system like the 4600 unit. Cheap too at $180 shipped from bpp.

Always remember to equalize your battery packs prior to charging them on the discharge tray.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I own 3 GTS's. One is in a T4 running a 12 and 13t motors. Never had a problem. Really good bang for the buck. I'd buy another.

My opinion only...........The 6v BEC is overrated. I couldn't tell any difference when I replaced an older Tekin with a 5.6v BEC with the GTS's 5.0v BEC. Get a good servo and don't worry about what voltage the BEC is..........

If you are used to wildly overpowered nitro cars, you may want more than a 19t motor. But 19t will be mostly competitive in mod on an outdoor track, at least at the ones I run at.... Since you have nothing at the moment, you may want to consider brushless, it's is cheaper in the long run.

Don't worry about the discharger and/or equalizing voodoo. You can't put down all the power with a 2wd car/truck on an outdoor track. You don't need the last milliwatt of power out of the batteries..... Charge, put in car, run car. Repeat.

Get the cheapest matched packs you can find. Promatch usually has some good deals. Again, you don't need killer packs for outdoor off road 2wd.

If you are running indoors on a super high grip track, then things change a bit.....

Go have fun with the "plug n play" electric..........
Old 04-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Thats great manning. Im trying to bulid this thing under 500 bucks lol. Is it worth it to pay the extra 50$ for the factory team kit or is it pretty much the same as the team kit?
Old 04-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In my opinion, there's really no advantage to the FT kit. Mostly bling. The only FT kit stuff on my B4 or T4 is the servo saver spring, the front hinge pin brace, and the shock shafts. The "unobtainium" shock shafts last forever after a good polish. The front hinge pin brace is good, but not really necessary. Definitely, absolutely get the "heavy duty" servo saver spring. Only a couple of bucks. The regular servo saver spring is way too soft.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Ok cool well do you think its possable for me to be able to bulid it under 500 bucks because im in the middle of finding a new job and im on a budget at the moment.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I highly recommend that you do the proper maintaining of your battery packs with proper equalization and charging. You will be much happier with your packs in the long run if you do that and they will last longer too.

If however you still don't do this, don't bother on getting matched packs. Might as well just get some sport jobs.