R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-31-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
DKB
Tech Adept

Post RACE DAY

Ive got my first ever club race tomorrow .

History
I raced an electric mini on road last weekend as our fire brigade was invited to the local on road track. We were loned cars to race with and put in our own division that they had set up for us for the day(we managed to bashem all)THANK YOU BUNBURY ON ROAD R/C CLUB. I managed to get a 2nd and last(lost a tyre) in the heats that put me 6th on the grid for first final of which I got 1st then on the second final I got smashed by 3 cars and lost correct steering but still managed to finnish 2nd in front of a club regular who decided to have a go with us. It was so much fun I decided to buy one I went off road as I live on an arcre property in the Aussie bush and thought it would be more fun so far I was right. I purchased an electric Evader (My 3 1/2yr old son is chuffed he loves it) and joined this forum (top job crew) been playin and postin since, thought I should have a go at a thread so here it is.

Any one who wishes to post how thier race goes this is the spot!!

I'll keep you all informed as to how I go with races (This might get embarrassing).

As soon as I figure out how to get pics small enough to put on here I will show you all our rippen property, local track and r/c Evader. If anyone has tips on this I would love to hear from ya.

Last edited by DKB; 03-31-2007 at 07:48 AM.
DKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Advice? Not really, just make sure to have fun (shouldn't be a problem) and good luck! If your having trouble don't be afraid to ask for help! Most racers are ready to help a newbie with any problem they've got.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

ya, just have fun for your first time with the evaderrrr...ahh..fun memories...
Old 03-31-2007, 10:25 PM   #4
DKB
Tech Adept

Default Club Day

Opps no races todays just Club day for bashen the track.

WheelNut - Thanks for joining in , I have been on several other threads and posted introductions & questions, I found every one very freindly and willing to help also got some real good advice(thanks crew).

Well back to the club day -

Firstly I arived at 8:45am to find out that their was no races today only an all in club day for practise(small crew 10 - 12 people all nitro, 5 Truggies 1 Buggie) so after Intro's I got straight on the track. Wow this proved very embarrassing every time I powered up the Evader did a 180 after 15mins I asked for some advice they were very helpful.
Played around with the slipper clutch (loosened) and shockys (lowered back end & raised the front trying to get more traction at the back and less at the nose). Ajusted and drove several times finaly this made an improvement how ever I still drove like a crab.
One of the blokes who races both on road and offroad recognized me from last weekend and had a drive to see if it was me or the car. PHEW! he was as bad as I was with it, we all decided it was the tyres.
Now that was sorted & I wasn't so embarrassed I just drove slower how ever the Truggies thought I would be a good speed hump and one by one they had a go, much to my amazment one by one they broke things (one broke a dog bone when he hit me at full speed). I was happy to be the last one standing with all nitro cars broken this supprised them as well. After they left my mate and I were just driving the track and what I can only guess is the servo stuffed up (lost steering) so that was the end of the day of to the shop Monday .

lessons learn't - Yes Tyres make a huge differance can't wait to get my new back race tyres to see how I go . Electric Evaders make good Nitro Truggie speed humps . Every one was right in the other threads need better servo for the electric Evader. Good bunch off crew at the club.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
DKB
Tech Adept

Default Ta

xxx-ntad2 racer - Thanks for joining in bit bumed about the servo but hagging out for next fortnights race with new tyres and better servo. Ive been told that they have a class for my truck and they mostly run Evaders.
Learned heaps Iam happy about that.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:58 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

dang. sorry to hear about the servo (rtr stock ones are always the cheapest things the company can get). but don't be so bumed out tho, better sooner than later (just be glad it didn't break in a race....). buy a nice servo (in your price range) and have fun racing!

for tires, check out the proline bow-ties. good, all around tire.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
DKB
Tech Adept

Yep if it went in a race that would have been a bigger bummer for sure.
I ve been chating on a thread called Duratrax Evader got some good servo and tyre tips their may need to get stuff off the net as our local bloke doen't have a large range of gear.
I kinda new the tyres were gunna give me greif as every one on the evader thread had said, so ordered some new ones from the local bloke but they won't come in untill midd next week. They are the same as everyone else at local club so should be good for the surface(clay).
Old 03-31-2007, 11:20 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just have fun.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:37 AM   #9
DKB
Tech Adept

Cool COOL

XXXCRRacer-Welcome mate.
Yep loven it mate can't get enough
Wow 2nd Place at Socal RC Supercross cool good to hear

What level is that? In Aus most sports go Socail - Club - State - National - International is it the same in the USA?
Old 04-01-2007, 07:41 AM   #10
Tech Regular

I am glad you had a good time at the track. Get the truck ready to go for the next weekend. I posted some servo info in the evader thread. Good luck

Keep asking the local racers to help you with your set-up and your truck will soon be handling very well. What is the surface like that you race on? I might be able to give you a set-up that I have run.
ILDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:53 AM   #11
DKB
Tech Adept

Default Thanks

Thanks for the servo info very helpful

Has anyone herd of a 645 MG (metal gear) Servo ($56AUS) for the Evader if so r they any good. Been lookin for Hitorque servo found one localy but to expensive to buy($74AUS) and shop from city hasn't spoken of the Hitorque even after several attempts to get a price by email, also is this a resonable price for the Hitorque???

Last edited by DKB; 04-02-2007 at 04:10 AM. Reason: same question 2 threads better chance of an answer
Old 04-02-2007, 05:10 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

Default Intro

Let me introduce my self, my name is Chris (Call me Pony). I am a member of the Bunbury On & Off road tracks. Unfortunately all the electric racers where in Perth the weekend just gone but on the 15th they will all be racing except me (bloody family).

Now some help.

Tires the most popular tires are Pro line Hole Shots (good grip but wear a little fast) & Pro Line Bow Ties (less grip but last a little longer).

Some suggestions on servo’s are Hitec HS-422 (good price but plastic gears) or Hitec HS-645 (more money but metal gears)

Some shops in Perth are Perth Hobby Center (Ask for Alex) & Perth R/C (Ask for Sam)

Hope it helps & good luck
Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #13
DKB
Tech Adept

Default G'Day mate

Welcome Pony nice to have a Buno person here . Was that you that helped me out at the track on the weekend if so thanks mate much appreciated if not then I am looking forward to meeting you at the track mate. I will be their on the 15th pity you won't but familys a cool thing Bro .

Thanks for the servo info mate I also got some good advice from the evader thread as well. Ive got new tires and back rims on order at Hobbie central (Thanks E) E said that they were the ones used at the track . Your the 2nd Bloke thats said to use bow ties (Evader thread) hope thats what I ordered.

Yep quote (Posted on the Evader thread) is from Perth r/c (Sam) thats were I got the Evader. I have been dealing with them by email (very helpful).

Ive been told the electric crew at Buno are realy good Iam a bit worried as,,,,,, well you probably watched our driving two weeks ago (lots of bashen). Thinken I might be out of my depth .

See ya soon mate.

ANY ONE OUT THIER KNOW HOW TO MAKE PICS SMALL ENOUGH TO POST?

Last edited by DKB; 04-02-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rdub202

are you trying to attach the images?

try hosting them on a free online album, try photobucket,they will format them down to their specs and you can then make them smaller. then copy the IMG code and paste it right here and presto.

as far as racing, im almost on the same boat as you. i just got into racing 2wd electirc buggy. raced once at an indoor dirt track and did okay. then raced carpet stadium that the local track sets up and i won the rookie class my first time out, and then we had a bigger race yesterday with no rookie so i had to run stock and i finished 2nd in the bmain. granted the top 2 qual drivers broke. but hey they crashed, thats racing. the stock amain is crazy fast stuff, those guys are soo good. theres a local sponsored 11 year old kid who is a WHIZ. hes sposored by losi,brood,lunsford. too bad he never touched his truck once, his parents are super nice. his dad saved me by snapping a ballcup back on for me in my first qual. outdoor season is starting up and i cant wait, racing the bk2 and savage. prolly picking up an electric st midway through or something

sorry for hijacking your thread
_|MRC/Team Academy_|_www.modelrec.com|_
rdub202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #15
DKB
Tech Adept

Thumbs up GOOD JOB

Welcome rdub202

Thanks for the pic advice I will try that
Quote:
sorry for hijacking your thread
na mate no need this is what I put it up for as I wish to hear how people are doing. Keep comin and posten results.