Community
Wiki Posts
Search

.21 motor choice and pipes for them.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default .21 motor choice and pipes for them.

heres what i got...

i'm going to buy a motor and pipe/mainifold combo from amainhobbies tomarrow and i'm down to three choices. note- all motors are in $145-$179 range because the motor will be used for club races and practice and do to me racing 1/10 gas truck, my buggy will only see a few races. motors are all bumpstarts.

heres the motors:
1. O.S VG (p) - . i like it because of the price ($148ish) and the good reviews. but don't like what people say about some air leaks and a small head(head is not much of an issue but an air leak can).
2. RB S3 MSC - this motor was recomemded by a local racer at my track. i don't know alot about it but i still consider it.
3. Werks B3 - i like this motor the most because of all the good reviews i have read. people say it's really for small to mid tracks (not sure what they consider small to mid tho...).

pipe/mainfolds:
1. jp-2: very good pipe i hear from everyone. highly recomened for the vg. also will work fine in the B3.
2. any 086 pipe (like ofnas or dynamites): also hear this motor works good for the vg.

conditions:
1. track size is around 200ft in length and 125 ft in width. track has one major stright and one half stright (100 ft or so). a few doulbles and a big table top. couple banked turns.
2. pipe/mainifold combo must be in the $60.00 range.
3. motor can't go higher than 179.99.

i've also considerd the novarossi R21BF. not a big fan but considered.

lmk what you guys think is the best motor. my order would go werks, o.s, then RB.

thanks for the help!
alex.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

for that size of a track (to me 200x125 is big lol)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/11363
www.rbproducts.com

dynamite
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/8880
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9007

the 21bf's are pretty much a standard and run good (i have one) but it gets killed by my c6 and s7 (nova engine has nova pipe and manifold, both rb's have rb pipes and manifolds) . getting a good pipe and manifold for your engine is a priority though. as far as the werks engines go all i have seen are the b7's. Another engine a few guys at my local track bought for this year is the hyper 8 port race . havent seen run yet but according to others its a screamer. Going fast is nice but KEY factor is does it go fast enough where it needs to besides the straights? the infeild is where most races are won and lost.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

what about the novarossi R21BF?

and the track size i said was what they hobby shop was shooting for, but i talked to a local racer the other day and he says that it's probably 180-185. i'm still going to say 200 because 185 is only 15 feet off (i guess you can say it's an estimate).

but lmk about the novarossi.

thanks!
Old 03-31-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

all the engines mentioned are good. the point though about the pipe is you are going to want a good 1 to get good run time + performance. that i think is the advantage to the RB combo. i think the other engines like the b3 or the nova bf21 are really good too just have to play to those engines strengths. i bought my engine used in my pro spec(bought the whole set up used) it ran a little stronger with a jp-3 than it does with a 9886 thats on it now. with a 9886 it has about 6 1/2 minutes of run time. while my c6 and s7 both easily go for over a minute longer (c6 actually goes 9 min) those i bought new in RB combo packs. less pit stops = better track time. oddly enough the c6 is still quite a bit faster. i would look at the whole combo as to how it works together. best engine @ a price point and the best pipe @ a price point might not be the best together...in other words get a proven combo.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OS VG on a JP-2 pipe...trust me, you'll like it.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mugenlife
all the engines mentioned are good. the point though about the pipe is you are going to want a good 1 to get good run time + performance. that i think is the advantage to the RB combo. i think the other engines like the b3 or the nova bf21 are really good too just have to play to those engines strengths. i bought my engine used in my pro spec(bought the whole set up used) it ran a little stronger with a jp-3 than it does with a 9886 thats on it now. with a 9886 it has about 6 1/2 minutes of run time. while my c6 and s7 both easily go for over a minute longer (c6 actually goes 9 min) those i bought new in RB combo packs. less pit stops = better track time. oddly enough the c6 is still quite a bit faster. i would look at the whole combo as to how it works together. best engine @ a price point and the best pipe @ a price point might not be the best together...in other words get a proven combo.
i understand. rb combo looks good, i'll check it out.

about runtime i should have mentioned that the track i'm going to race at is pretty new(2 years) and haven't developed into large minute mains (i think this year they'll go 5 min quallifiers and 5 min mains). this year it could go up to 5-10 min quallifers and 10 min mains but my guess is it will be another year.

i think i'm getting a nova rossi with a ofna 086. thanks for the opinions.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

that is no worse than a solid choice. i know plenty of guys getting more than 8 gallons on them without doing anything other than cleaning. the one i have has 12 gallons on it and still runs pretty strong. last time i raced it it was pulling away from hpi's, hyper's and an sts black headed engine (i know depends on tuning just saying even at that much fuel through it it has some left in it)
Old 03-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

thx!