Search

STRIPPING ANODIZED ALUMINUM

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default STRIPPING ANODIZED ALUMINUM

Stripping Anodized Aluminum

How or what can I use to strip the anodize off my turnbuckles!!!
And stuff like my cooling head ect!......

Or the paint on them what ever that scratchy stuff is its all scuffed up and looks terrible!!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

if you want to strip annodizing spray the part with oven cleaner. it'll come right off, rinse with water after 5-10 minutes. and make sure to open some windows
Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Will it weakin my part any?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Yes because you effectively removed the corrosion resistant coating. Aluminum corrodes if ya didn't know already Try this little experiment. Drink a can of pop, then dig a small hole in the Earth, and put the empty pop can in the hole. Now bury the can and pour about a gallon of water on top of the soil. Come back in a week and see how badly that can corroded. BTW, that aluminum can wasn't anodized.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Ok nevermind??? I'll take your word for it!!! Thanks for the knowledge guys!!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SupermaxxRich
if you want to strip annodizing spray the part with oven cleaner. it'll come right off, rinse with water after 5-10 minutes. and make sure to open some windows

ditto the oven cleaner......easy off......and a pair of rubber gloves. you DON'T want that stuff to get on you.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOWGEARED
Stripping Anodized Aluminum

How or what can I use to strip the anodize off my turnbuckles!!!
And stuff like my cooling head ect!......

Or the paint on them what ever that scratchy stuff is its all scuffed up and looks terrible!!!!

If you go here: anodize stripper You will have to scroll to the bottom of the page to read about the anodize stripper and see the prices.. I have personaly used this stuff and it is the best. You might consider the de-oxidizer also because if you over expose the aluminum in the stripper or use oven cleaner it can leave your parts oxidized (black like) so you will want to use the de-oxidizer to bring back the parts shine! You may also have to re-polish them no matter how you strip them- you can make sure you take your parts out of the anodize stripper occasionaly and rinse them to make sure you do not over-strip them!!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Actually if you polish the aluminum and keep it that way it shouldn't weaken. If you let it continue to oxidize it will continue to weaken. I take the anodizing off most of my cars and it hasn't had any effect on the strength of the aluminum at all. I have raced many types of cars for several seasons with polished aluminum.

Here is a link to my old BJ4

Note:
If you leave the oven cleaner on for too long it will eat into the surface of the aluminum. I recommend you rinse the aluminum often to check the status of the removal.

Note 2:
If you polish the aluminum with a polishing wheel attached to a grinder or something similar, DO NOT WEAR GLOVES! If your glove gets pulled into the grinder your hand is gone! Remember the shop class videos of the guy who lost his hair. If you keep a cup of water near you just dip the aluminum into the water and cool it often.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Initiate

greased lighting, household cleaner will remove anodizing. says so on the label and i have used it, works great and easy access.