R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to builthatch
Default MAXAMPS 8K 2S2P vs. Orion (Kokam) 4800

this is for an mf2 w/ MM 7700 BL setup...

I was considering going with the Orion piece, despite the outrageous price, because of the quality of Kokam stuff and the nice case, but this MaxAmps piece seems like a dream and 8k mah!

What are your experiences?

Also, I'm sure it's been asked before, but for current info's sake, i use an MRC 977 to charge my Ib4200's and it does a swell job. How is this thing with charging LiPo's? It says it's fully capable, but something about this charger makes me weary. I do not want to spend another boatload of cash on a crazy charger, but i'd like to know if it's a mistake trying to use this charger with a new lipo setup like the ones mentioned above.

thanks!
Old 03-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Take a look at the Orion 3200 thread in onroad electric. Orion reports some problems with MRC 977 chargers and hasn't tested the newest 989.

See

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...er#post3096328
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

I can't speak for the maxamps but I have 8 platinums running in 4 cars. I am very comfortable with them due to their quality and with 3 kids running, the hard case is a plus when they crash. I have a balancer gathering dust since the cells are still in perfect balance. We'll see after they come out of storage for the winter.

Regardless of which you pick, follow the rules on charging and discharging. I recommend ammo canisters for storage which you can pick up cheaply. They will contain the lipo in the unlikely event it flames up. Also, I would not use the 977 as well. Not worth the risk using on anyone's lipo.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I had a 4800 orion, and currently have the 8k maxamps, I ran the 4800 in a BK2, and it worked perfect, fit good, never had any issues with it,

I'm running the 8k maxamps in a BJ4, I'm not sure if it would fit in the BK2/MF2, its a little taller than a standard pack, so you may need to use a velcro battery strap set up, not a big deal though,

so far I'm loving this batt, I've run it for a race day, and a practice day, and I'm running the whole day on one pack, and just topping up between heats, the only thing if you do it this way, you need a charger that can charge at higher amps, otherwise you dont top them up enough and it dumps in the middle of the main I used a charger that only did 2 amps on the first race day, and thats what happend to me, So I bought the thunder power charger, its a little pricy, but I shoudn't have to buy a new charger again now,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had a max amp 8000 for over 1 year. The only problem is that the cell can shift and you can loose a tab connection on the cells if this happens. You need even support on the ends of the packs. So if you get a set make sure then ends are supported. Now it took me a year to have this problem. But I know another person that has the cells shifting also. Other than this these cells are great. No problems with them. I could run 2 off-road classes with 2 qualifiers and a 7 min main each with no issues.

I am working with some 4800's right now. So far in my b4 I love them. Only issues is the runtime. I can not make a 15 min main which is normally not an issue. But if we get enough brushless guys we run 10 min mains. That is about the limit of what I feel safe running.

With either you should have a lipo cutoff system. That would have solved my problem with loosing a cell I am pretty sure. Otherwise it is presonal choice.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

I have a Maxamps 9000mah that I run in my t4 and it has worked flawlessly for 8 months.I also have a 5500mah in my bj4.I use the ice charger on my battaries and have no problems.I can run 3 qualifiers and a main and not charge it all day,the runtime is awesome.The 7.4 volts don't hurt either.Whichever one you go with you'll be happy with the runtime and power and it has the same power all the way through the run!!Good luck.
PHIL700XCSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I've graphed the voltage under load during discharge for my Orion 4800 and my Maxamps 6000. The Maxamps provided superior voltage at all points, often by .2 volts. It also seems to be conservatively rated at 6000. I can share the graphs if you like.

My discharge rate was only 10A but I picked this because this is slightly higher than the average discharge rate I get when running stock 1/10th buggy and truck, plus it's all my discharger could handle.
Arboleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trashedmaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arboleda
I've graphed the voltage under load during discharge for my Orion 4800 and my Maxamps 6000. The Maxamps provided superior voltage at all points, often by .2 volts. It also seems to be conservatively rated at 6000. I can share the graphs if you like.

My discharge rate was only 10A but I picked this because this is slightly higher than the average discharge rate I get when running stock 1/10th buggy and truck, plus it's all my discharger could handle.
Thanks for taking the time to do that for us.
trashedmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichocgn
I had a max amp 8000 for over 1 year. The only problem is that the cell can shift and you can loose a tab connection on the cells if this happens. You need even support on the ends of the packs. So if you get a set make sure then ends are supported. Now it took me a year to have this problem. But I know another person that has the cells shifting also. Other than this these cells are great. No problems with them. I could run 2 off-road classes with 2 qualifiers and a 7 min main each with no issues.
Could you elaborate a little bit on how and where you need to support it? do you mean to shim the sides of the battery tray so that the pack doesn't slip sideways? or end-to-end movement?

Thanks, I have a 8000 that i recently ordered coming in soon
baseline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:12 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The low 10A dischrage doesn't show what happens under acceleration.... which is where it matters. You need to look at the volts at 50+ amps to know which battery is superior and which will have more punch.

It's the high rates that separate good cells from great ones...

Interesting findings though...
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I needed to support the pack on the ends of the pack. It started looking like.

/========/

Finally I think it pulled a tab apart and I lost a cell. Not complaints on the battery. It was still extremely cheap. And no big fireball.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:43 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

thanks nichocgn
baseline is offline   Reply With Quote