Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy Questions / Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Default Buggy Questions / Recomendations

OK so I'm new to RC, and I'm hooked. I have and an rc18t and an associated MGT, and I love em. I'm looking to get into a buggy or two with my son for the summer. I think I can hold out until the new AE 1/8th buggy comes out in May, but my son cant.

So i'm looking at nitro vs electric. My son saw and fell in love with the ofna Ultra MBX Comp 1/8 RTR Buggy. Now as a dad I'm 99 percent positive that he loves the colored wheels, lol. I dont mind letting him get what he wants, but I want to make sure its at least a descent buggy for him to learn on, and wont fall apart in a month.

I'm also looking to figure out what the best 1/10th electric buggy to get. Like I said I'm partial to AE so the RC10B4 Race Spec RTR Buggy is looking apealing to me. Is there anything else out there I should evaluate that is around the same price range and is nice and durable?

Thanks for your advise and recomendations.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:10 AM
Tech Regular

Old 03-27-2007, 04:59 AM
Tech Adept

Well i'm partial to the nitro's. Electrics to me just lack the realism that hearing the engine screaming down the track give you.

The MBX is a great choice for a beginner buggy, PBS style suspension thats nearly as bulletproof as you can get, but keep in mind that the design is probably at least 5 years old. The MBX is based on Ofna's Ultra series buggy (Ultra GT, MBX, LX, LX Comp, and so on). If your planning on bashing and maybe doing a little learning at the track, the MBX is a great choice as a 1st buggy.

If you want to get a little more into racing at all, the Ofna Hyper 7 TQ RTR would be a great more modern selection and it would still have a very good price (about $299 retail).
Old 03-27-2007, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Offroad is tough for kids to learn not only do they have to turn but they also have to worry about jumping. Giving a kid a big heavy 8th scale to learn on might not be such a good idea. I'd get him the T4 RTR some batteries and tires and turn him loose, The truck is more suited to a youngster learning since its generally easier to drive. Also depending on how old he is its much easier to learn how to work on a 1/10th scale electric than a nitro 8th scale. A lot depends on how old your son is though. I'm assuming he is pretty young since he likes the colored wheels.

I'd been helping a 10 year old get going in racing and he got an 8th scale last year and destroyed it in a month flat b/c it was just too much for him, too much to work on and too much power. Now he has a Losi XXXCR and is learing how to work on it and is getting to be a better driver.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

I agree that nothing discourages a kid faster than a car that's broken all of the time but disagree about running nitro buggies.

I suggest a good solid buggy like a Sportwerks Turmoil ARR and a very mild motor like the OS RG VG that's super easy to tune. The parts for the Turmoil are readily available and cheap on ebay. The buggy rarely breaks though. Just set those radio end points so he can't use full throttle.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Things I would look for are what exactly are the things that your son loves about RC vehicles.

Does he gravitate more towards the speed of things, or does he really like the size of the 1/8 scale vehicles. Does he like the sound and smell of nitro or does he prefer the quite of electric?

I would say since you are wanting to stick with AE, I would probably pick him up either a T4 or the GT2 depending on what he likes, electric or nitro. I would then go to RPM's site and get everything I could that was made to beef up the vehicles since he will probably hit alot of stuff and be rough on them. A nice big bumper, and maybe even rig up the RPM GT2 Front arms.

Set it up so it has alittle push to it and he should be set. Also, dropping a nice mild brushless unit would be a nice touch since you get longer runtimes and really cut down on the maintenance, so he can just do more driving. Nitro different story of course.

If his heart is set on a 1/8 scale buggy, I would probably look at what bang for the buck you get and go from there. They are all pretty durable. I have the CEN Matrix, and it is extremely beefy and can be had cheap too.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

2WD Mod electric buggy is the most difficult class to drive (race). It requires throttle control and a level of attention to how your car is acting/reacting like no other class. I started my son at 7 and now he's 10 and handles 1/8th scale like it's cake. Even though we race 1/8 now, I still make sure we get an electric day in every now and then to keep our skills.

You son will do fine with either AE or Losi. The B4 requires a little more skill than the CR as far as staying consistent goes.