R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Nitro Engine life

About how many gallons of fuel is a Nitro Engine likely to last through? How do you maintain a engine so it lasts as long as possible. Also how often are the plugs suppose to be changed? Also will any plug work?

I am new to Nitro and am considering buying one.
Snipesr82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

If you're new to nitro it would be wise to run %20 nitro for easier tuning and to go through less plugs. How many? That depends on how quickly you learn how to tune.

I can run a plug for 3 months. I usually change them before they burn out or before a big race.

How long an engine lasts? Your first one probably won't last long so don't buy an expensive one. Next, I don't believe these guys who say they get 10 gallons out of a motor just changing connecting rods. Hell, I get tired of a motor after 4-5 gallons and get a new one just because I can.
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
Tech Elite

All the novarossi based engines i've run have gotten at LEAST 3-4gallons before needing a pinch running no hotter than 250. The key to long life is watching engine temp favoring slightly rich during warmups. And when..not if. But when its starts to run funny put a front bearing in it. Usually every 1.5-2 gallons of fuel. I've seen more engines that are just getting fast turn to junk because they get an air leak and run hot.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

To add to the last post, I am a weekend racer that usually runs one day a week (sunday). In the last two seasons I used 4 and 4.5 gallons of fuel. I don't practice much though.

An engine can last a long time (7-10) gallons but when an engine is "worn out" is determined by the user. You will see guys claiming to have an engine for 10 gallons but only a couple I have seen with that kind of time on them ran well and the ones that did were owned by expert racers.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Well someone offered me a used RTR RC10GT for $125 that claims he only ran a gallon through it. I believe him since the body looks mint with little dirt on and around the engine.

I was thinking about getting it for my first Nitro. I hate to spend $250+ new and it end up being a headache.

Its all stock. BTW how much runtime does 1 gallon last roughly?
Snipesr82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Good luck. That first gallon can make or break an engine. In your case .12 engines are relatively cheap investment if it goes after a few gallons.
schmelme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The stock AE .15 engine is a good solid engine thats easy to tune. You can pick a new one up on ebay for 70.00 all day long. If your just club racing I would stick with that one. Also word of advice O.S. motors seem to be the easiest to tune because of well made carbs. You will see alot of guys put a OS 12e carb on alot of top end italian motors. COngrats on the gt I just picked up the GT2 this week and started the build process. Oh to answer the original question tips for longevity is

1. After running move piston to bottom of the cylider.

2.Clean/secure air filter regularly loose your filter and say bye bye.

3.Always use after run oil if your motor is going to be dormant for longer than a week.

4.Alot of guys will suck the fuel out of the engine I think this is over kill....

5. Always run on the rich side of your tune but not too rich as this can cause the engine to wear out quickly. The engine needs to heat up for the sleeve to expand.

6. I cut the end off my fuel lines and re-attach them on a regular bassis just to make sure the are tight.

-As far as how many gallons I get well the best Ive done on a motor was a OS CVR 12 that had 6-7 gallons all others have been under 5 gallons. But I run them at there limits every time 225-250.....
nitrosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've been running my V-Spec since 2005 and only taken it apart 3 times at the most. I also had to replace the bearings.
associatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by associatedguy
I've been running my V-Spec since 2005 and only taken it apart 3 times at the most. I also had to replace the bearings.
A quart of fuel every weekend or a quart every 6 months? Your statement doesn't really say anything.
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When you take the head off the engine is there a way to check the pinch while it is off???
GPM BLUE ALUMINUM A-ARM SET U/L
ACNCM ENORMOUS COOLING HEAD
INTEGY SWAY BAR KIT
VANTAGE HX5 TIRES

Micro baja
Micro raminator

ALUMINUM PIVOT BLOCKS
FULLY ADJUSTABLE C/C/S
LOWGEARED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My friend's brother has a Novarossi that is in it's 20's in gallons
Old 03-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWGEARED
When you take the head off the engine is there a way to check the pinch while it is off???
There is no numeric measurement for pinch or compression. When guys refer to getting a sleeve squeezed, pinched or re-sized they mean that the sleeve is litterally "squeezed" in a die to reduce the inner diameter a tiny bit to restore a tight fit between the piston and sleeve. You have to break the engine in again and usually replace the rod after that too.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
Tech Addict

The key to long engine life is in the AIR FILTER! Keep it clean and your engine will reward you............
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka
There is no numeric measurement for pinch or compression. When guys refer to getting a sleeve squeezed, pinched or re-sized they mean that the sleeve is litterally "squeezed" in a die to reduce the inner diameter a tiny bit to restore a tight fit between the piston and sleeve. You have to break the engine in again and usually replace the rod after that too.
Doesn't Dynamite offer a compression gauge for nitro engines? I could've sworn I've seen them on ebay.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:28 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

C'mon there is compresssion guage for Dynnamite engines GEEEEZ its a RTR engine for cryin out loud!
GPM BLUE ALUMINUM A-ARM SET U/L
ACNCM ENORMOUS COOLING HEAD
INTEGY SWAY BAR KIT
VANTAGE HX5 TIRES

Micro baja
Micro raminator

ALUMINUM PIVOT BLOCKS
FULLY ADJUSTABLE C/C/S
LOWGEARED is offline   Reply With Quote