R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-23-2007, 02:12 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Modified motors are a good choice also. Of course price is always the main issue, but if you notice some racers may go through more than one motor in a years time. I don't think you can have too much power, because you can always change your gearing and clutch setup to calm down any motor. I'm running the JP Mod V-spec and I've been racing it for over a year. I just opened my 11th gallon of 30% two weeks ago, and the motor still has plenty of compression and power. Worth every dollar, and I say that because I've seen guys changing motors for whatever reason, and I've been using money that might have been needed for a new motor, to buy other things.

BTW I'm not saying you should buy a modified motor, I've just had a really good experience with mine. Of course how you tune your motor will determine how long it last, whether it's modified or stock. My motor has so much power, I've never had to tune it for max performance. That's probably why I'm at 11 gallons right now and still rippin' on the track. Most modified motors are built to last a lot longer than the stock version. The xtra speed and power is a bonus.
8ightScale/CJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:17 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRacer
Satoch,
I have to comment on GoTech.
I have 4 guys out of many that buy from me and are experienced racer's.I know they have ran O.S.,Novarossi,RB and Picco Motor's.
They didnt like the Picco's due to the touchy carbs but they did hold up.
A couple of them tried OPS,STS,Gotech,and a list of other motor's.
Out of these 4 experienced guys that have been running nitro for 3+ yrs on a racing level are all saying that Gotech's leak around the bearing.
They have tested and tested the motor's and while fast they are complaining that the casing is too thin or doesnt handle heat as well as other motor's.
Do they need to get a extra casing for break in or just get new bearings?

Les
I've heard GoTech has good customer service, what's has your experience been with them? Do they offer a solution for the leaky bearing?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:22 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ightScale/CJP
Old 03-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Quote:
Old 03-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I've heard GoTech has good customer service, what's has your experience been with them? Do they offer a solution for the leaky bearing?
Yes Go Tech has excellent customer service. I've never heard of any bearings leaking though. As a matter of fact, I'm quite positive the front bearing is the exact same one that is used by OS-it even says "Japan" on it.
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #21
Tech Addict

vv
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:28 AM   #22
Tech Addict

+1 to Les & Carl

But I would also through in the RB S7II with the Sportwerks 053. It's an easy engine to tune has a great power band and can be had for about 240.
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've been running a Ninja B01 in my MBX5 and MBX5T truggy. The motor runs fine in the 9 lb truggy and gets almost 12 minutes run time. In the buggy the motor is very smooth, has a linear power band that makes it very easy to drive and also gets killer run time. With the Losi 8ight being almost 1/2 pound lighter than the MBX5 ProSpec buggy and the drive train lighter and very free, the Ninja would be an awesome motor in the 8ight. I have 3 gallons on my Ninja and I know two other local guys with over 8 gallons on them. They are very easy to tune as well. The new Ninja B01A has been slightly refined to be an even better motor.

If you don't want to spend a ton of coin, look at a Novarossi 3-port 21BF. Yuo can even get it in a Hot Mod version for a few more bucks. These motors are the best bang for the buck. They run very strong, have good life and decent run time. Very driveable too.

The only other motor that gets run times like the Ninja is the O.S. V-Spec. They are great motors, but many have had to swap out the stock bearings for ceramics (you can buy an EB Mod that has ceramic rear bearing already and crazy power). I've also seen the life span a hit or miss with the V-Spec. I think it all depends on how you break it in. The power is a bit more explosive on the V-Specs though, so if you're new and trying to learn how to drive better than trying to learn to handle horsepower, I'd start with the Ninja or 21BF.

Best of luck! Let us know what you decide to get.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Default All good choices

I have a WERKS TL21B7 in my 8IGHT and my 8IGHT-T . I am going to get a B3 for smaller tracks as well... Werks has great customer service 2nd to none IMHO. You can't go wrong with the majority of choices suggested to you...It all depends on what you can get and for what price.

Good luck...
Old 03-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #25
Tech Rookie

Thanks everyone all this info is very informative.
tbone555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #26
Tech Regular

The Go tech engines are the fastest engine for the money, they are super reliable and easy to tune.

TexRacer, none of the four guys have contacted me regarding the bearing issue, I am the U.S. dist. so there engine had to have come thru me. No customers have complained or mentioned a bearing issue. The large majority of racers running Go tech engines are extremely satisfied customers.

All over the internet you hear a couple people say things about the Go engines like this bearing issue or some other very outlandish problems and they are always not owners of the engine, but know someone who had a problem. There a couple very satisfied owners in tex that I talk to every now and then and they are very happy.

I also think its funny how people will reccomend a $280 engine that has known bearings issues all day but say don't buy that $200 it might have bearing issues.

Tex1 please send me your shop info and I will send you a price list for the engines I will try and work out a loaner for you as well. thanks.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Now that's putting your money where your mouth is!

I race against Speedbump and many others with their stock and modded WS7II's and they have no advantage for the extra money they pay. No doubt, those motors are great. Just not worth the extra money as I've seen it this season.
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket42
The Go tech engines are the fastest engine for the money, they are super reliable and easy to tune.

TexRacer, none of the four guys have contacted me regarding the bearing issue, I am the U.S. dist. so there engine had to have come thru me. No customers have complained or mentioned a bearing issue. The large majority of racers running Go tech engines are extremely satisfied customers.

All over the internet you hear a couple people say things about the Go engines like this bearing issue or some other very outlandish problems and they are always not owners of the engine, but know someone who had a problem. There a couple very satisfied owners in tex that I talk to every now and then and they are very happy.

I also think its funny how people will reccomend a $280 engine that has known bearings issues all day but say don't buy that $200 it might have bearing issues.

Tex1 please send me your shop info and I will send you a price list for the engines I will try and work out a loaner for you as well. thanks.
Good to go Rocket 42. You make a good point. Good service too. Ill let you know what i think when i try you motor. Thank's. Carl.
freefallmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:54 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

try the sirio kanai evo 3 !! got one in my eight and love it !!!! tons of speed and great bottom end!!
hyperrex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperrex8
try the sirio kanai evo 3 !! got one in my eight and love it !!!! tons of speed and great bottom end!!
Do you still have this engine? if so, how do you like it and what pipe are you running? Reason I ask, is I can pick up a stage 2 modded one for a great price and I need to replace my Ninja for my 8ight. Thanks!
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote