R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Brushless ?'s (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/155350-brushless-s.html)

Andy Haynes 03-21-2007 03:02 PM

Brushless ?'s

Ok so I have been out of the hobby for about 2 years. Brushless was just getting popular when I got out. I am curious to what I need to look for? I am used to running mod class. I am not sure what the 3.5/4.5/7.5 ect all means. I did a search but my gosh at all the hits it got. I would be here till next month trying to read through all of that. Also about how many runs do you get on a brushless motor? WHen they do go bad what do you have to replace? Sorry for sounding like an idiot. :confused:

GymBeam 03-21-2007 03:14 PM

3.5r = 6/7turn

4.5r = 8/9 turn

5.5r = 10/11 turn

6.5r = 12/13 turn

7.5 turn = 14/15

brushless is great, lots of people last year didnt use them, beacuse no sponsered racers use them, lots of local guys said they were no good as "they dont feel like brusdhed motors"

now big names are using them and winning with them, those the same local people have now got or getting brushless too. and with egg on thier face.

foolio 03-21-2007 03:19 PM

I've got a Novak 6.5r in my Kyosho Lazer ZX5. I have have it for over and year and have probably run a couple hundreds packs through it. I have not done one single bit of maintenance. It still runs like new. I also had an LRP Sphere Comp 3-star in a BJ4WE and it ran really well. The guy I sold it to still runs it. I liked the Novak better. Now, LRP has some new motors that are supposed to be even better but I have no experience with them. There is also a lot of hype about the new Tekin coming out. It sounds to be the best of them yet but no one will know until it really gets tested by the average user. I hope I helped out some.

Apexs 03-21-2007 04:01 PM

im new to rc and went with a mamba maxx 5700 brushless system, iv been very happy with it, no maintenance needed and iv been running it 4 months now, whatever you buy you will be happy with!

jbrow1 03-21-2007 04:17 PM

Ran a gtb/6.5 in my T4 for a couple summers now. It's awesome and it was really to much for a stadium. I put it in my xx4 and now that thing is a missile. Put another gtb with a 7.5 in my T4. It's a very different feel from the 6.5, but I haven't gotten enough time to tell how I like it as far as speed and power goes. If it wasn't for brushless I probably wouldn't do much electric since gas cars are my true love of the hobby.

Andy Haynes 03-22-2007 02:44 PM

Thanks guys. I think I will hold off until Tekin gets theirs out there. But I think a 6.5 is about what I wanna run. With gp3300 packs what kinds of runtime will I see. Do they get better runtime than brushed motors?

jbrow1 03-22-2007 03:27 PM

They do get better runtimes. I raced a few 6 minute mains with the T4/6.5 with 3300's and had plenty of power the whole race. How much I don't know as I've never ran it much longer than 6 minutes. But it will make old batteries feel better than they are.

Cain 03-23-2007 09:47 AM

The Tekin unit will probably be very good no doubt, I am just curious how much they are going to want for it.

I got my mamba max in , 5700 version and mounted it up to my SB V2 Pro. I really like how I can interface with the PC to configure everything. Its relaly not too big, maybe alittle bigger than a tekin G10 style speedo, taller of course. But seeing all thats on it, should really help keep things cool and not need some fan.

And for the money, $180 shipped from BPP, was worth the buy.

Andy Haynes 03-23-2007 10:03 AM

Well I am really not in a hurry to make a decision. I was so happy to see Tekin back in the market. I had a Tekin bc100l charger. I raced at least twice a weekend for 11 years and that charger never let me down.I bet I charged well over 2k packs. Neither did my old g9 or g12 speed controllers. Guess you could say I am just loyal. Hell I raced my original rc10 for at least 10 years. Of course not much on it was original by the end.

swopemike 03-27-2007 09:21 AM

I don't know why anyone would want to run anything but brushless off-road if they can afford it ($250-300 range). I run the Novak 4.5 in my T3 on a large track and it's plenty fast. Maint is minimal and easy, just occasional careful cleaning of the rotor ends that insert into the bearings, and the outside bearing itself.

If you decide to go this route, there are several large threads on the elec onroad forum page for brushless where they endlessly explain, help and debate things.