R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-03-2003, 09:32 AM   #16
RC
Tech Apprentice

I've seen that Pegasus lists their online prices at full retail, but you go in the store and they have the best prices in town. I saw one Drake left on the shelf yesterday at lunch for $259. Better hurry .
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 06:24 PM   #17
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

(drooling) I want it! I want it! I hope it is still there on saturday, I am goin to Ultimate, but if pegasus has it $30 less, I would drive a bit further up there too...
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 09:04 AM   #18
Tech Prophet

Thanks for the heads up RC, that XXXNT Drake is mine, they also have a few pivot blocks in stock he said (dont know if you were wanting one or not) I am going to get the Trinity CR conversion rear end, Hot Rod is one of my favorite tracks, and I heard it works rather well up there. Been a loooong time since I have been at the racetrack. My last big race actually was at Hot Rod, it was the 00 Offroad Shootout, the XXXNT was brand new at that race and made an impressive statement (even though Cliff Lett was the only guy driving an AE in the A Main) I actually picked one up at the last day of competition and gave my GT the boot. It's crazy to me how fast Drake's name grew, he was unheard of at that race, and was one of the few Losi/Trinity drivers that didn't attend. Hopefully he knows how to piece together a race truck though, we'll see tomorrow
Old 04-04-2003, 09:14 AM   #19
RC
Tech Apprentice

What is he CR conversion?

I'm in the middle of putting mine together right now. My last truck was a GT and the difference in quality and engineering is dramatic. This thing is lock a rock with all of it's bracing and bulkheads. I picked up the rear aluminum pivot block yesterday, along with an engine for it. TOP TT12 S2, slide carb 3-port turbo. I'm told this is probably too much engine for a truck, but I've allways got to learn the hard way . I'll have this thing up and running after the weekend, where is Hotrod Hobbies and what kind of layout do they have?
Old 04-05-2003, 03:55 AM   #20
Tech Prophet

The CRE conversion is basically for smooth tracks with good bite. Hot Rod is in Saugus, and they have just that kind of setup, really nice track.

I got home from LA today after spending $870 total, bought a Sirio .18 and pipe for my T-Maxx, the Drake kit, and a bundle of aftermarket stuff for the Drake. I am not sure what radio gear or engine I am going to run, but propably be the M8 and a Sirio .12. The T-Maxx is first on my list to get finished before I start up the Drake, but I still need to get all the Losi titanium ball ends, and a few more Trinity items. Cant wait to get it up and running.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:03 AM   #21
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

RC- Does that TOP motor have a standard threaded shaft on it or does it have a Pilot shaft? The XXXN-T needs a threaded shaft to make it work. And are you going with rear or side exhaust? Either way you might want to check out the Team Orion Wasp motors. They are tearing things up all over. One last thing. A turbo wouldn't be a good choice for offroad because turbo's are made to make power from RPM's and offroad racing needs low end power. How this will help you.

Jon
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 01:53 AM   #22
Tech Prophet

I was wondering, is there any conversion to use a pilot shaft engine, or are we stuck with threaded only?
Old 04-07-2003, 09:54 AM   #23
RC
Tech Apprentice

Swen: It's a threaded shaft engine, I'm switching to a standard head button as I've been hearing a turbo is just too sensitive for off road.

Randman: I opted to just get a threaded shaft engine. You would have to use a clutch bell from a 2 speed and use only the 1st gear pinion which means you would have to shift the engine to the left of the chassis to line up with the spur, but it won't move that far without hacking into the chassis. Maybe by using an engine mount like the one wolfpack radicals makes where you can slide the engine back and fourth? Engine mount would cost you about the same as a threaded crank for your existing engine, which would cost about the same as selling your existing engine and getting a threaded shaft engine. 3 options, all about the same cost.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:23 PM   #24
Tech Prophet

Hmm, sounds like I'll just be running the Sirio engine, I was really impressed with the .18 Sirio I got for my T-Maxx, so I am sure the .12 will be up to par as well.