Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Support LHS or Online Shopping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 04:08 AM
Tech Regular

Default Support LHS or Online Shopping?

It's hard to support your LHS when you can almost always find your parts @ lower prices online.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you have the extra cash to subsidize your local hobby shop by all means do so. But if your budget wont allow it, get the best deal you can.

Unfortunately, it takes money to keep racing. If saving 10-20% will allow you to keep racing or bashing do what you got to do.

Ultimately both shops and racers need to relax on this issue. Give your hobby shop a chance, but if they can't come close, go for the on line deal. And hobby shopes need to not hold a grudge against someone if they didn't get all of their parts there.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

if you always supported your LHS, they would probally start giving you a price break, which would make it cheaper than online shops, but if they know that you will just buy the cheapest stuff, can you really balme them for not wanting to help you out?

plus one thing online shops will never be able to do is give you in person help and advice, if you support a shop, the help and advice they can gie you is worth maybe having to pay a little more, I know some shops the owners are rude and dont know anything anyway, but most of the shops the employees will always try and help you out,

plus where are most tracks located? at a hobby shop, or a shop owns the track, and in most places a track CAN"T support its self, it needs the shop to keep it running, so if you stop buying from the shop, it makes it more likley that the track is going to close as well,

another thing if you run nitro, you will basically always need to buy your fuel from a LHS since its so expensive to ship it, but if all a shop sells is fuel, they are more likly to close up and then you are going to pay way more than the difference you save on parts, to ship the fuel,

IMO, you should buy everything you can from the LHS, and if they can't get it, then look at an online store
Old 03-29-2007, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

what about a mix of the two.... like nitrohouse, online & good prices & good people.... ace was king
Old 03-29-2007, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ed237
If you have the extra cash to subsidize your local hobby shop by all means do so. But if your budget wont allow it, get the best deal you can.

Unfortunately, it takes money to keep racing. If saving 10-20% will allow you to keep racing or bashing do what you got to do.

Ultimately both shops and racers need to relax on this issue. Give your hobby shop a chance, but if they can't come close, go for the on line deal. And hobby shopes need to not hold a grudge against someone if they didn't get all of their parts there.
The reason I'm bringing this up is because I've spent a lot of cash at my LHS in the past. The problem now is that parts I need, and even parts you want to have in your toolbox for general repairs, the LHS doesn't keep them on the racks. They're not selling out of certain parts, they just don't order them like they used to. My LHS will order any parts I need, which is cool but they require customers to pre pay full balance for anything they order for you. Here's my problem with this; If you, the (LHS) don't stock parts for whatever brand I race with at your shop, that means I have to pay you and get the parts ordered. If this is the case, I might as well order my parts online from home at a cheaper price.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:16 AM
Tech Regular

I don't mind paying a few bucs more for a part @ the LHS, especially if I'm there racing. It would be nice to get parts at the track on race days, if you need them. You break a part, go inside the shop and buy what you need, make your repair and wait for your next race to start. It used to be that way at my LHS, but not anymore.
The point of this is to say that my LHS supports me as a customer, but not as a racer. As a racer, you want to have parts you need available @ the track.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

I always bought my stuff from the LHS. Until they closed the doors and I still have him get me stuff from time to time. Mainly because he can get it to me cheaper than anyone. He charges me 10% over his cost. I think if you go and talk with the shop owner and tell him your delima he will keep more of the parts your needing in the shop. I know back before all the online ordering. I could go and tell the guy anytime what I needed and he would have 25 of them two days later.

Although I cannot stand the shop/track owners who bad mouth the internet. You cannot blame a guy who goes online and gets a cheaper price on a car. I am sure he will break something somewhere and need to buy it from that shop. If the shop owner treats him right then he is going to more than likely buy stuff from him. I am not sure now how most track owners do it but a while back instead of tropheys or whatever .You got a ticket for parts money.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:52 AM
Team Tekin

Support your local shop as best you can. Do you race an exotic car like a Yokomo or something of that nature. You have to understand his view and see if the demand is low. Most hobbys shops can't support a single individuals needs, they must support the entire area.

If it's only price that's the issue, simply ask them. I price matched all the time, it's not a hastle at all. I simply asked for the website or some other form of confirmation. That way I could go back to my distributor and get more of a discount that helped us both out.

Paying for the parts up front is one of the only way to make sure you get your $$ back when you special order something. I didn't require it on small petty parts but larger more expensive items I did. We also kept track on who always paid and who did not.

From the sounds of it the shop is smaller and they need to keep strict policies to make sure they stay alive. If you are a good customer(you sound like it) then when it's not busy speak to the owner and express your concern. I'm sure they will take it to heart and work somehting out. We used to "sponsor" a lot of our really good customers with price breaks on kits,parts, tires, fuel and provided them with our shirts for free which was our best advertising. The shop needs to know your needs and concerns first hand. Speak with the owner or manager not the back counter guy, it needs to be the top level people...
Old 03-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

They both have their benefits, I usually buy my kits, chargers, engine, and cells on the internet (because thats where I see the biggest savings). I buy tires, spare/option parts fuel (nitro cars), pay for track time bodies, motors, paint any anything I can't wait for at the LHS.

What i can't stand at the LHS is when a product is not in stock, they say we can order it for you. I can order it for myself.

I had such an incident happen a LHS that caters to the general R/C population so they don't carry race styled bodies such as DNA, Stratus, and Mazda 6. But the guy working their said that he can order it! If I wanted something ordered I wouldn't have drove all the way to your LHS.

Last edited by Wayne1one; 03-29-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bobf24
if you always supported your LHS, they would probally start giving you a price break, which would make it cheaper than online shops, but if they know that you will just buy the cheapest stuff, can you really balme them for not wanting to help you out?

plus one thing online shops will never be able to do is give you in person help and advice, if you support a shop, the help and advice they can gie you is worth maybe having to pay a little more, I know some shops the owners are rude and dont know anything anyway, but most of the shops the employees will always try and help you out,

plus where are most tracks located? at a hobby shop, or a shop owns the track, and in most places a track CAN"T support its self, it needs the shop to keep it running, so if you stop buying from the shop, it makes it more likley that the track is going to close as well,

another thing if you run nitro, you will basically always need to buy your fuel from a LHS since its so expensive to ship it, but if all a shop sells is fuel, they are more likly to close up and then you are going to pay way more than the difference you save on parts, to ship the fuel,

IMO, you should buy everything you can from the LHS, and if they can't get it, then look at an online store
Very good points. I run a shop and a track, and it is TOUGH (nearly impossible) to make any kind of living at this. So why do I do this? Because I love it. I go out of my way to help newbies, and if a part is out of stock I will literally take it off of one of my vehicles.
This has been discussed on this forum in the past (http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...highlight=LHS). I stated my vies pretty well there.
Also the 1st time you get an incorrect or broken part mailed to you tell me how cheap and convenient mail order is. Then when your track shuts down tell me how much fun your car is chasing the cat or dog around your back yard.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

You all make some good points. My LHS has always treated me well. Whenever I asked them to order parts for me, they did and would call me as soon as the parts came in. I've never had a problem with the workers @ my LHS. They're all cool people, and most of them are racers who know thier stuff. I know some brands of R/C cars are hard to get parts for. I currently run a Jammin' so that's not the issue.
My whole point is this. If my LHS is not going to keep in stock, parts that I need, and require me to prepay for them to order something for me, I might as well order online myself. This is a big issue for me because I've been a good customer for a long time and have never left them hanging on any parts they ordered for me. I've bought a total of 6 rides over the past few years, all from my LHS. (3 RTR's and 3 Kits) The main reason I bought them from my LHS is because I've never had any problems with the workers there. They've always been pretty cool, even before I got to know them as racers.
It's not like I'm breaking parts everytime I go race, it's actually been a while since I actually broke something during a race. But if I want to replace a part, or rebuild something like my shocks, there's nothing in the shop that I can buy. I mean seriously, no shock rebuild packs. Those only cost like what $3 dollars.
I'm going to continue to support my LHS anyway, but my main point of all this is that they are going to lose a lot to the online shop because if I have to get a particular part online, I'm going to order other parts as well. It's like going to a grocery store; You go for some milk and once you're there you might as well buy some bread and veggies too. Hell, you might even grab a couple of steaks just because you see them. You might already have some in the freezer @ home, but you grab some more anyway. I know you guys see the point I'm trying to make here. Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 03-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wayne1one
What i can't stand at the LHS is when a product is not in stock, they say we can order it for you. I can order it for myself.
Yea, I know what you mean They're only trying to be hepful, but really! I know that's a big help to a lot of people because not everyone has the internet @ home. So I see why that's a popular statement @ the shop.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

I'm glad there is a LHS close to where I live. We race both on and off-road, the shop supports both and even airplanes and helis. It's pretty much an all-around hobby shop. But as a racer, when I need some parts, I'm going to get them ...LHS, if you want to keep me out of the online shops, lets get some more part numbers hanging on those racks

BTW, I'll still be in the online shop anyway, but mostly for hop-ups and things like that. You, the LHS should have me covered for all the basic stuff
Old 03-29-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

Things like shock rebuilds SHOULD be on the wall. Common maintenance and breakage parts need to be available. If your shop doesn't have them in stock maybe they are having $ issues. There have been weeks when I couldn't fill the wall like I would want, but usually 'staples' can be managed.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If the hobby shop cant stock the parts you know you will need there is nothing wrong with getting them practically at cost from the internet.

Hobby shops that refuse to help a potential customer because they get some or all of their parts somewhere else won't stay open very long. That's just poor business practices. It would be like a clerk at Lowes asking you to leave their store because you walked in carrying some stuff you just bought at Home Depot. That just wouldnt happen.

Unfortunately, it's going to get even more difficult for hobby shops because more and more manufacturers are starting to sell their own parts on line through their own websites.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.