R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-22-2007, 05:00 PM   #61
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfishel
Don't be too sure there are parts that the general racing public can't get. Developing a car usually involves prototype parts, and those are held close. But once a production spec is set the factory cars will only have those parts on them. Maybe Kyosho is different, but most manufacturers are leery of a perception that the drivers are fast due to unobtainable parts. Who would want a car that isn't what they just saw win? Associated is a good example. They aren't even allowed to drill extra holes in the shock struts. Now private testing is another story, but if it's a race they are most likely running what you are. Depressing isn't it?
Well that maybe soo now, however in my younger days, I was the full boat sponsored driver and running for a undisclosed car manufacturer, they may have changed there policies as well, I did have team parts that the public had no access too. They were not as noticeable in plain view, but they were different. And I just played it off as anybody can win with this car that I was driving. I assume that its like this with everyone, hence I maybe very incorrect. Was it a noticeable advantage???? Just more adjustment I would say. So adjusting the car to the track was easier and more precise to obtain the more "dialed" set-up.

Kyosho America - Peak Racing - KO Propo - AKA - DE Racing - Diggity Designs - Speedtech R/C - Team Slant EyEs
Slant EyEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:56 PM   #62
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slant EyEs
Nothing to be confused about. I did not say he made the A main.
That's not the part I was confused about. Let me try this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slant EyEs
And they were not a victim of attrition like many of the other manufactures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam
he was inside the top10 untill a few DNF's
BradR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:13 PM   #63
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradR
Discussing 2 different races.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #64
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma
Discussing 2 different races.
No. They were both discussing the 2007 Cactus Classic, and both posts came from this thread.
BradR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #65
Tech Master

Quote:
But the ZX5 is actually the most affordable 4wd 1/10 out there. Possible exception may be the Academy rig.
I could be wrong, but I believe that the Losi XX4 is the most affordable.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #66
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradR

As I recall, he did not break parts. Just a couple of bad runs and some electronic problems pertaining to the BL system that he was running. Thats why he did not make the A-main. Very impressive wheelies halfway down the straight-a-way though. Even the 4wd's ZX of his and Cody's looked good. Just not their race that weekend. Plus it was hot as hell.

Kyosho America - Peak Racing - KO Propo - AKA - DE Racing - Diggity Designs - Speedtech R/C - Team Slant EyEs
Slant EyEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #67
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac
I could be wrong, but I believe that the Losi XX4 is the most affordable.
As far as initial cost, ZX-5 can be found the cheapest, then XXX4 G+, then XX4 WE. I think k-car parts are slightly less then the Losi parts, depending on your source.
gatermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #68
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Well they certainly weren't a POS, I don't think you could call any modern F1 chassis that. But they certainly weren't the class of the field. Funny note, in '92 or '93 Alain Prost called his Ferrari a POS in an interview and was promptly fired. I think Frank Williams sent Enzo a personal thank you note. Also Jean Alesi (one of the most spectacular if not successful F1 racers) got his one and only win in a Ferrari in '95 at the Canadien GP.
Though it's slightly OT, I can add to this.

When Schumacher started testing the 412T2 ('95 car) right after moving over from Benetton, he promptly proceeded to turn some blistering laps in the car; faster than the car had ever gone in the hands on Alesi or Berger.

When he pulled into the pits, he got out of the car and starts telling his engineer something along the lines of "wow, this car handles amazing! I'm shocked that you guys didn't win the WC with this thing." His engineer just stood there with his jaw on the floor... I know this because Gino Rosato, one of the team members is from Montreal, just like me

Back on-topic, it's sad that Losi lost Gil to Kyosho; I'm curious to see what either team will put out in the coming year or so.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

I knew once I left TeamLosi, Jr wouldn't take long to follow! I mean, how could he argue with the fact that one of TL's longest running supporters left the team! I wish Horizon wasn't sold by "Pops" just like Gil Jr. does!

Maybe they told Jr they needed a credit card number and expiration date, for him to order his "team Supplies" for the next race too? LOL

Kidding of course, I wish Jr luck at Kyosho, i'm sure he will help them DRASTICALLY with their program in the Electric market AND Gas too!

A Giant in the industry like Kyosho can really let Jr get on a roll, they are one of the largest RC manufacurers in the world! hey don't only make cars..

Helis
Boats
Models
Trucks
Crafts
Paints
Tools
Tires
Supplies
Bodies
etc.!

They could also use some help with Tires, Jr has had SOME success there too?

...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:09 AM   #70
Tech Fanatic

Did anyone here notice that this info has ben pulled off all the sites it was on as a news article?? Hmmmm
DJG24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #71
Tech Regular

I also find this information a bit intriguing !!! Personally I think if Horizon let Gil go that would be suicidal ! Being in the engineering field for many years I have seen incredible guys come and go only to see things get worse and worse , poor company decisions were definitely to blame! (John Deere mentality)
Maybe Horizon made Gil an offer he simply could not afford to turn down ?
From personal experience he will leave shortly anyway but may just decide to retire Only to come back in a few years with his own thing.
Or he just wants things quieted down so expectations are not outrageous.

Kyosho has been holding their own for many years and I don't think they want to get too radical too quickly.
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #72
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJG24
Did anyone here notice that this info has ben pulled off all the sites it was on as a news article?? Hmmmm
wow, you're right. I just checked www.kyoshoamerica.com and the info isn't there anymore. It was right on the front page, and now nothing
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #73
Tech Addict

Quote:
I'm surprise that the press release isn't dated 4-1-07
It may be bad form to quote yourself, but hey. It now seems even more appropriate. But maybe Kyosho published the announcement before getting a contract signed, and as was implied in another post, Jr. got an even better offer.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #74
Tech Elite

I tried to get ahold of Gil Jr last week and got a reply by e-mail FROM KYOSHO AMERICA that he starts there next month. Soooo, dont know what the deal is.

KYOSHO AMERICA.com -Peakmotors.com - kyoshoforum.com - Team SlantEyEs - Hardkore Paint - JBRL Off Road Series - JConcepts.net
nc-hopsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #75
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Kyosho, the magazines and news sites took down the info as a courtesy to Horizon so that they can formalize their own response to the move. This was quoted by one of the senior magazine editors on another site.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote