Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removing Beed Glue & Old Rubber

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Removing Beed Glue & Old Rubber

Whats the best way to get the wheel clean to remount new tires??
Old 03-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Go to your local hardware or Lowes or Home Depot and get a gallon of acetone and a resealable can like a bucket. I use a half gallon ice cream pail and just throw the wheels in there and let them soak. Take a rag and dip it in the acetone and wipe the glue right off. The leftover rubber should basically fall right off if they've been in the container long enough. Use can also use this method to reuse tires and wheels, but your foam will be junk. Be careful with Losi pink compound, the tires will shrink on you but every other tire I've done this to has come out good. Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

get a bucket with a lid so you can seal it up. this will help you save your acetone, as it will evaporate overnight. i usually soak mine overnight sometimes longer.a 5 gallon bucket and half or a full gallon of acetone you can do twenty at a time. they dont have to me submerged in the acetone, the fumes alone in two will eat the glue and they will come apart. also when not submerged the wheels are easier to wash up after the glue and rubber are gone. the acetone will dry like a film on the wheels after a bit.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

this info. is quite helpful thanks guys
Old 03-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i tried this a while ago, used pure acetone for a looong time, also tried boiling...nothing worked too well. the tires (pro-lines) were relatively new to start and they ended up tearing away at the bead no matter how long i left them. i figured at the bare minimum i'd be able to reuse the wheels but nothing would get everything outta the bead groove, even tons of acetone soaking and a aptly sized driver.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah, I've seen some very different results with different kinds and brands of CA glue. AZ is right, the better the container seals, the better the acetone fumes will eat the glue and keeps the fluid in. Acetone evaporates if not sealed well. Just don't open the lid standing directly over the container unless you like chemical buzzes...
Old 03-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here's what I do...

Put wheel in toaster oven and bake at 265-275 deg. for 1/2 hour.
Take out and remove tire from wheel (will be easy if temp was right).
Put wheel into acetone for a little while to dissolve remaining CA.
You can even clean the tire beads up with acetone and remount it.

First pic is after removing the tire and cleaning the wheel.
Second is a wheel I did last week. I cracked the wheel at the hub and it was wobbling, but the tire was still good. So, I removed the tire from that wheel, and a spent tire from a good wheel, then put the good ones together. Can you tell?

It does stink some, so use an old oven outside.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Beed Glue & Old Rubber-dsc00349.jpg   Removing Beed Glue & Old Rubber-dsc00350.jpg  
Old 03-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. I tried the boiling thing and it didn't work, that why I posted the thread. I will try the acetone and let you know how it went.

Brian
Old 03-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

I also tried the boiling and acetone-only methods first. Boiling did squat, and soaking in acetone for a long time still couldn't get all the glue. It was also very messy and smelly since the foam gets totally soaked too. Ugh!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

I am not sure why... but most guys will try the methods in this order:

1.acetone (it's the manly method... and solvents are fun)
2.boiling (not sure why anyone would prefer this over the oven?)
3.bake (maybe, if they don't just give up... they will finally try the baking in the oven method)

Why no love for the oven???

It's the only method that really works... and it's the easiest quickest and cleanest method.

Oh... there is also the at-the-track desperate method.... Xacto surgery, and dremel cleanup. That works too.. second best method imo.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wasn't there a thread about this? Anyhoo I bake mine @275-300 f' for about 15 minutes or so, I also dunk them in water first. This way it seems to steam them open faster and releases the ca fast from the rims leaving them pretty clean. I just check them( while wearing gloves ) every 5 minutes or so til the ca releases, and allways seem to need to "cook" for about 15 minutes. What very little is left on the rims can be cleaned off by a dremel. I recently have found that using a mini wirebrush works the best(pic), Which Glassdoctor mentioned to me in a different post. Thnx again bro ^5

Acetone can be dangerous to use and costly, we all know solvents can be fun. But in some households this is a bad idea(kids getting at the stuff or a smoker starting his garage on fire). Bonuses can be a free nasal passage, feeling of utopia and well being with the universe .

Last edited by steelhawke; 11-09-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glassdoctor

Why no love for the oven???

I don't know. It is the easiest, the cleanest, the fastest, and just plain works the best. Also all parts (including foams that are still good) are reusable.

My method, preheat oven to 350. Turn it off, insert tires. Wait about 15 minutes, take them out and crack them off. Comes out great every time.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I have some rims that had tires on it that were pretty worn so I cut them at the bead. Could I still use the oven method?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Acetone works great. Throw everything in the bucket and walk off. No effort involved.

You can't be in a hurry though..... Just let everything soak until there is no more glue. 3-4 days for the tire/wheel combo, then soak the individual wheels and tires for a day or so to get rid of the residual glue.

I use two dedicated containers of acetone, one for seperating the tire from the wheel, and one for the individual components. When the first bucket gets low, I dump some from the second bucket into the first, and add new to the second bucket. That way the second bucket always has somewhat fresh acetone so the wheels and tires come out nice and clean.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

See what I mean???? The oven requires you to turn the knob to 250 or 300 and wait about 15 minutes or so. That's it.

Why buy acetone, make a mess, and wait 3-4 days?......

Originally Posted by K_King
I have some rims that had tires on it that were pretty worn so I cut them at the bead. Could I still use the oven method?
Yeah I think that would work fine... just bake them and use needle nose to grap the bead. It should pull pretty easy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.