R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-04-2007, 06:20 AM   #106
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

barnettgs -

You have some points but I would disagree on some. It all depends if you are going to a facility or just running in an open area.

Pull start? Most people get frustrated with these and if you run often you will not want to use it. I see someone show up at the track with a pull start and they leave and never show up again or convert away after a couple of races.

Glow plugs - You need them. Some people have more luck than others. But it seems few have your luck and skill that outmatches most people that I know.

Temp Gun - If you are new please buy one. Replacing an engine is expensive and I would not want to see someone do this. There is a reason people who race for years still use them.

Power supply - Yep you need one. That is about $45 at the most to be able to run the charger.

More than 1 battery? You just do not understand this. I run a single 8000 for 2 classes and never recharge. If we are doing 15 min mains then I recharge and that is done in less than 30 minutes from the heats. 1 battery. No more is needed for racing.

Still have to by receiver batteries - Even if they are NIMH. That is a couple of bucks. Plus on a long day of racing do you need to charge them? Most people I see always do before the mains atleast.

There are things missing for gas also like fuel bottle which most people would buy. You can debate prices all day long.

Still all comes down to what you think is the most fun.

In the end startup cost is nothing compared to what you will end up spending for either. Sooner or later the average person makes a mistake and has a big ticket repair of some sort. You buy better tools. You buy tires. Anyone who thinks that you will just buy this and run it for a year good luck. I would be willing to bet the average racer doubles the initial inverstment from parts, tires, entry fees etc in the first year easy.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:25 AM   #107
Tech Initiate

Ironically, nitro requires more batteries than running electric.
Pull_My_Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:36 AM   #108
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Nitro$junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull_My_Finger
Ironically, nitro requires more batteries than running electric.
how do you come up with that
Byron's
http://www.hospitalrecords.com
Nitro$junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:37 AM   #109
Tech Master

Nitro is for racing batteries are for torches
Byron's
Old 05-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #110
Tech Master

If you are going to race you need at least those items I mentioned to race nitro!

$512 worth of difference will buy a $45 power supply and another $150 will buy me 2 more 8000 mah li-pos that I can run non-stop virtually or until the radio T/X battery pack dies and still have $317 left over!

It takes alot more batteries to race nitro than electric! 1 R/X pack, 2 battery packs for the starter box, 1 battery for the glow ignitor, 1 battery for the temp gun and 1 battery for the stop watch to time the fuel stops equals 5 battery or battery packs for nitro versuses 1 main battery pack for the electric!!!!

5 to 1 battery packs to race!

Go here to help out: http://www.americansolutions.com/
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #111
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichocgn
Pull start? Most people get frustrated with these and if you run often you will not want to use it. I see someone show up at the track with a pull start and they leave and never show up again or convert away after a couple of races.
Agree...I have a couple of friends who always have the problems with pull-starts but then, they bought CEN buggy and thunder-tiger with poorly made engine/pull-start combination. I found their pull starts easy to break, in fact I even managed to break one of theirs while I haven't break my two old nitros kits in 4 years!

I think that pull start should not be a problem providing you buy a quality kit such as HPI, AE etc and also knowing you don't need to pull out a long way. I find that getting on with pull start is much easier than starter box as you don't have to deal with batteries/chargers for starter box!

However, if I'm forced to choose a nitro kit with starter box or electric brushless then it's a hard choice for me!

Quote:
More than 1 battery? You just do not understand this. I run a single 8000 for 2 classes and never recharge. If we are doing 15 min mains then I recharge and that is done in less than 30 minutes from the heats. 1 battery. No more is needed for racing.
OK, the last time I raced in electric was 7 years ago! Electric technology must have improved no doubts about that but is the race heats for electric still runs 5 mins? Unlike nitro, you can have 15 or 30 mins.

I think we would have come to the conclusion that both electric and nitro aren't cheap, no matter which one you go for...go for the one that you would enjoy rc hobby the most. However, I still think Nitro is faster out of box in stock.
barnettgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:10 AM   #112
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps
It takes alot more batteries to race nitro than electric! 1 R/X pack, 2 battery packs for the starter box, 1 battery for the glow ignitor, 1 battery for the temp gun and 1 battery for the stop watch to time the fuel stops equals 5 battery or battery packs for nitro versuses 1 main battery pack for the electric!!!!

5 to 1 battery packs to race!
Not if you don't use starter box and you're still exaggerating about batteries for Nitro!
barnettgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:11 AM   #113
Tech Master

stop watch temp gun bluh you must be a hard core racer lol

but Seriously if i saw one electric guy with one battery pack id lagh you guys are nuts gotta have the latest packs out and trust me not just one pac now dont get me started on the brushes and esc yous gotta have to be up front
Byron's
Old 05-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #114
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I recently built a 20 minute main electric truck and I've already run it at nitro tracks a couple times. It's been more than 10 years since I raced nitro and I must admit that I forgot how messy nitro can be. Not only are the nitro cars caked with nitro fuel and dirt, but the drivers are also covered in nitro and dirt! Most of the nitro drivers leave the track after a race day looking like a kid who's been playing in the dirt all day long whereas all I have to do is wash my hands and I'm ready to go meet up with my gf and/or friends for some drinks. I won't go back to nitro primarily because of the noise pollution, air pollution, and mess factor.

Edit to add: All I need is one battery for a race day and I can get 30+ minute runs out of that battery. Since I have a BL system, I don't have to deal with brushes and I only have to clean my motor 3 or 4 times per year.

Last edited by Leodis; 05-04-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #115
Tech Initiate

Quote:
$1231 versues $719 is a $512 difference
Not having to put up with Craps because he's not in your class, is worth more than $512, it's PRICELESS!!!!

Quote:
The choice is yours!
I choose Nitro and ABC Anything but Craps
Fear_of_Midgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #116
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

If you want to take the budget bl/lipo rought you can do that as well.
Astro 109 +blinky-$125
8k mah 7.4 volt lipo-$75
bearings -$30
rtr xxx-nt w/ bl setup. They should start coming w/ lipo cut offs since they updated them, if they don't you can just add $10 for one.-$300
ok, there is a seasons worth of racing right there for $530.
Now, let's compare it to an rtr xxx-nt.
xxx-nt $300.
two reciever packs -$40
charger -$30
two 7.2 volt packs for start up stuff, don't tell me that one will last you the whole day w/out you abusing it. -$30.
Fuel something cheap like $10 a gallon-$100
temp gun $30
glo plugs- $25, by using a non turbo engine w/ cheaper plugs you will use twice as much fuel.
$75 -a rebuild some where before you hit 10 gallons, I would doubt that those engines make it 10 gallons before a rebuild exspecialy w/ some one who doesn't know how to tune learning on them.

The nitro is still more expensive then the budget lipo/brushless setup and for some one entering the hobby both setups will be equaly fast.

Here is a heads up for this class. The batteries will charge in about double the time it takes to discharge them while racing.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #117
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear_of_Midgets
Not having to put up with Craps because he's not in your class, is worth more than $512, it's PRICELESS!!!!

lol, I completely agree.
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #118
Tech Initiate

1/10th scale 2wd Stadium Electric Pro Truck
Losi XXX-T or Associated T-4 $225
Steering servo $75
Novak GTB with 5.5 brushless motor $230
Motor bearings $30
TrueRC 8000 mah li-po battery $79
Astro Flight 109 Charger $110
Total $719

Ability to walk on water sold separately. Check your local hobby shops for availability
Fear_of_Midgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #119
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear_of_Midgets

Why do you have to make it personal and can't stick to the topic of the thread?

Personal attacks are not wanted or allowed here!

It is so sad you have nothing intelligent to add to the thread but make a personal attack! So sad and I really feel sorry for you along with I hope you seek help!

Go here to help out: http://www.americansolutions.com/
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #120
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

craps is just an electric evangelist. don't take the piss, however hilarious he may be.