R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #136
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim
I can't believe I let myslef be drawn into this pissing match.
Welcome to the pissing match!

Well, I'm glad you did contribute to this thread otherwise we won't have learned about them!
barnettgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #137
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath
evangelist
We have other nouns we use
Fear_of_Midgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #138
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim
I can't believe I let myslef be drawn into this pissing match.

Wrong, there are water resistant ESCs designed for boats, and can easily handle a little mud. Most brushless motors are SEALED. Water would pose the same risks to a good brushless system as it would with nitro. I race both, I know.

Either one is good for it's intended purpose, which is why there's an entire INDUSTRY built around both. Pick your poinson and go play!
Over the years I've gotten lazy. To each his own. Hopefully I find a good deal this summer on a used gas truck or 1/8th scale.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #139
Tech Initiate

WTF!!!!!

It's not officially racing unless you can smell the fumes, I bet you don't go to bathurst to see the cars whirl past you go to see them vrrrrrrrmmmmm past at bone crushing speeds and ear bleeding sounds, they don't pull into the pits to get a new battery either, they get topped up with fuel, if you want a hobby go to electric, if you want to run in a real motor sport go nitro and go off road don't be a robot going around and around try a track that changes even while your racing.

post a beep beep if you agree.

Regards
BMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #140
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

honestly guys, each has its pluses and minuses. I can see benefits to both. Ultimately, If I told you that you can run everything equal as far as run time, charge time (yes, nitros do take batteries) etc, price being the same, what would you take?

The advantage I can see with electric in the long run is that its a plug and go thing. Please say that you just need to learn to tune your engine. I agee with that and I am learning, its fun honestly, but if I told you, now nitros have gotten so good you don't even need to learn to tune them, would you complain and say you want things to go back to messing with tuning an engine?

Nitro, advantage is percieved runtime. Fuel and go is less time than charge and go, regardless of the battery size. Even if batteries can be charged in 15 minutes, that is still downtime compared to a nitro that a nitro guy will argue. Is it valid, probably not at that rate as you can do that when working on your car, but its nice to just bash and fuel and fuel as needed.

Like I said, both have alot of merit. I would would love to compare a 1/8 scale nitro to a 1/8 scale converted buggy in my stable, both same vehicles (loving my cen matrix) and see which I really prefer.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #141
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
honestly guys, each has its pluses and minuses. I can see benefits to both. Ultimately, If I told you that you can run everything equal as far as run time, charge time (yes, nitros do take batteries) etc, price being the same, what would you take?

The advantage I can see with electric in the long run is that its a plug and go thing. Please say that you just need to learn to tune your engine. I agee with that and I am learning, its fun honestly, but if I told you, now nitros have gotten so good you don't even need to learn to tune them, would you complain and say you want things to go back to messing with tuning an engine?

Nitro, advantage is percieved runtime. Fuel and go is less time than charge and go, regardless of the battery size. Even if batteries can be charged in 15 minutes, that is still downtime compared to a nitro that a nitro guy will argue. Is it valid, probably not at that rate as you can do that when working on your car, but its nice to just bash and fuel and fuel as needed.

Like I said, both have alot of merit. I would would love to compare a 1/8 scale nitro to a 1/8 scale converted buggy in my stable, both same vehicles (loving my cen matrix) and see which I really prefer.
Beep! Beep!
And a Honk! Honk! for electric.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #142
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I thought racers wanted to use the most powerful and effencient motors and set ups possible. I'm pretty sure that a electric motor generates more power then a nitro motor. Oh yeah, they are 93% effecient compared to 30% effecient. If you want a second job then continue to run nitro. You can switch batteries in under 20 seconds. That means that one 15 second pit stop compared to 5 10 second pit stops. Yes, you should also count the time you slow down to pull up to pit.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #143
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
I'm pretty sure that a electric motor generates more power then a nitro motor. Oh yeah, they are 93% effecient compared to 30% effecient.
barnettgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #144
Tech Elite

If you want to line up a novak gtb 3.5 against a high end .12 then go right on ahead. If you want to line up a 5s lipo powered bl 1/8th scale buggy then go right on ahead. An electric motor is much more powerful then a nitro motor. They have the same amount of torque through the entire power band, and yeah nitro motors are realy that effecient. Why do you think they make all the noise and heat? Heat and noise are a direct result of lost power that has been turned in to another form of energy.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #145
Tech Master

Breaking in a brand new nitro motor is a real pain and takes alot of time when it is just so easy to bolt the electric brushless motor in and go.

Comparing a 1/2 hp gas RC motor to a 5,000+ hp drag car motor is like comparing a mosquito to a 747 and if you like the smell so good, how come you guys are the first to complain about nitro fume headaches when racing them indoors!

Go here to help out: http://www.americansolutions.com/
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #146
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMac
WTF!!!!!

It's not officially racing unless you can smell the fumes, .........

It's not officially racing unless you are sitting IN the car. We're all playing with toys. Be it nitro or electric. To each his own.

I raced "real" cars for 20ish years. I don't want to work that hard anymore. I don't have that much time to devote any more. I don't have that much money anymore..... So electric toy cars it is.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:17 PM   #147
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning
It's not officially racing unless you are sitting IN the car. We're all playing with toys. Be it nitro or electric. To each his own.

I raced "real" cars for 20ish years. I don't want to work that hard anymore. I don't have that much time to devote any more. I don't have that much money anymore..... So electric toy cars it is.
Good one and I agree!

Go here to help out: http://www.americansolutions.com/
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:03 AM   #148
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

DC is the place to be... I could drive my nitro truck all day- without a person saying anything to me...Just seems normal I guess.

Then I pop a LiPo into a brushless xxx-4 and people cant believe there eyes. "That thing doesn't make any noise".....
I just laugh, and lap their car!!!
Alltapdout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #149
qdv
Tech Initiate

what if the motor gets hot for nitro, do you still have to stop playing and let it cool down? Even though I have lots of batteries the motor will heat up after 2 batteries (about 50 mins run) for my electric.
qdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #150
Tech Elite

It is actualy best to heat the nitro motor before you start it. As long as it is tuned properly then you are set to go. Most people will tell you, a small break after running for an hour straight would do them some good. If it is getting too hot then it probly isn't geared properly.