R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
wheel cutting

I have been hearing about people cutting the wheels on there truggy's to make them more narrow. why is that? is there an advantage to this? is it Roar legal? Im just curious.

Thanks for your time
Jeff
tooofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:59 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Pro-Line makes a wheel that has an option to make it narrower. It is legal to do and doing iot makes the truck turn in a little more. I would'nt reccomend it on a wheel that does'nt have the option though. It would be impossible to glue the tire properly.
t4usee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

kinda what I thought I wish I could get the tires off the wheel cause the tires are brand new.
tooofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Actually this is something we used to tune with a lot about 10 years ago. You can narrow them and widen them.
You can make them narrower by cutting the inner bead off right against the inner band and mounting the tire inside of that.
You can make them wider by cutting off the outer band on the outside bead and mounting the tire on the very edge of the wheel.
Obviously there is room to experiment with this and moving the tire around in many combinations.
Keep in mind ALL the things you change though. Not only the width of the tire. The wheelbase changes, as well as the ride height. It can effect offset and even roll center.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote