R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)
Default Picking a Lipo pack, trying to decide on brand

I am pretty much set to do lipos but I am trying to decide on what brand to go with. Right now I am leaning towards Maxamps, possibly there 5000mah or 6000mah cell configuration. However I am also looking at the Orion 4800mah lipo.

For those who have had either of these brands, or even better both, which did you prefer? did you feel the extra cost of the Orion lipo was worth it?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

I've used the Orion 4800 packs in both a B4 and T4 under racing conditions with both a GTB/6.5 combo and a Mamba Max 4600/5700. They've performed very well for me and have never required much in the way of balancing, though I do balance them every few cycles just to be safe. The Maxamps 5000 and 6000 packs are capable of supporting larger current draws than the Orion, are cheaper and don't require the construction of a special balancing harness (they come pre-wired with Hyperion/Polyquest taps by default). If I were buying today, I'd probably go with the Maxamps 5000s.
JakeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 304 (100%+)

I run the max amps 6000 and thunder power 8000 and run a novak gtb 6.5. Both run great but the 8000 requires a custom battery strap as you've seen in the "20 minute main " thread. I like the 6000 alot, on most cars you can run the stock strap. Both batteries have lots of power and I have never had a problem with either.

Hope this helps,
David
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

I recommend that you read this thread before making any decision.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=154155

I would recommend Orion/Peak as they are of the highest quality of lipo.

I haven't heard anyone complain about them either.

-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:47 PM   #5
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
I recommend that you read this thread before making any decision.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=154155

I would recommend Orion/Peak as they are of the highest quality of lipo.

I haven't heard anyone complain about them either.

-Shookie <><
I hate how good the carbon perform`s !!!

They so good !!!

Can`t stand it!!!

AAAAAAAH !
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cain, I just got a new pack today from Kokam that is pretty good... even better cells than what is in the Orion/Peak packs. (those are Kokam cells too, but not as good as the 4800s according to Kokam) Kokams are also a safer cell... they are supposed to only smoke... no flames etc if something bad happens.

Mine is a 14.8v pack for my 1/8 but it's the same as this 2s pack... maybe get the price down close to 100 with a coupon?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNWV9&P=7

The Maxamps 5000 is a very good pack for the money, and it's lighter than the kokam.
http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...74-Pack&cat=13

I have both of these packs... both are very good imo. The kokam looks a little better on the dyno esp if you keep it warm before use. But the 5000 can hold it's own against most lipos... only the high end enerland and kokam cells are better imo.

That's a good point for anyone running lipo packs in cool weather.... voltage drop is much worse at 60-70 degrees than it is at 90+.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
Tech Master

Been racing in 20 to 30 minute mains for 3 1/2 years now using Thunder Power TP8000-2S4P Li-pos in off road stadium trucks and even a converted 1/8th scale buggy, never seen one ignite or even blow up. I have seen a few swell up from over discharging and sent them back to TP who replaced it for half price everytime with a brand new battery.

The Orion is overkill with an unnecessary case and makes the battery more expensive because of it when you can buy another brand that is around twice the mah capacity for the same price.

Alot of internet gossip about li-pos has scared people really bad and in reality li-pos are just as safe if not safer than nickel batteries when you follow the manufacturers instructions to care, handling and charging these great batteries that will give many times the cycles, runtime and life of any nickel pack made.

They are the best value for batteries and will stop the battery wars in RC.

Li-pos and brushless! The future is here!

PS. Where electric classes are dying around the country being replaced with gas classes, the li-po powered Pro Truck class in the Carolinas is growing fast in a gas dominated area of the country!
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:36 PM   #8
Tech Elite

True... I didn't mean to say lipos are ticking time bombs... just that the Kokams are built really tough. You can stick knife through them without sparks and flame like most lipos would do, that's all. And they claim they are more tolerant of charging abuse too... overcharge/discharge isn't AS bad for them as others.

Any of the recomended brand name packs will work great imo... you just have to get one, you will be happy.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info. I called maxamps and they told me that they will have 6000s with the same changes (sort of like battery bars or something? didn't fully undestand, some sort of material change) that the 5000 has right now in two weeks. I asked them if I can get one of those packs and he said sure if I don't mind waiting which sounds fine to me. I am just curious how can I tell.

but for the money, seems a good way to go.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

To add, the most imortant thing is that the sides of the pack are protected. The edges are the most delicate part of these batteries. This is a non issue in a buggy or statuim truck (battery tray in the center of the car) but it can be on a 4wd because the battery is usually on the side just under the body. The Orion is currently the only pack that comes in a hard case but some form of protection (a double layer of Lexan perhaps?) would be a good idea.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #11
Tech Legend

The SB V2 Pro has a lexan undertray and seals up to the body, I think that would be sufficient. What do you think?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I would be worried about that crash that you didn't think could happen. If the car tumbles full speed into something with a edge on it then I think it could still damage the bettery through the body. Normal cells wouldn't be affected by this but I think any crash that causes regular batteries to come unsoldered should be considered dangerous to lipo. 90% chance nothing would happen but you can never be too safe.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:18 AM   #13
Tech Elite

put some steel armor plating inside the body... ?

In 1/10 buggy I have never seen anything come through a body to damge something inside... in many years of racing.

1/8 may be a different story...

Seriously... a body + underbody... nothing to worry about. If the crash is THAT bad, then you will have plenty of damage besides a bruised lipo pack.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #14
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

The other thing is the Orion/Peak is not only the only hard case but it also has the battery shapes to help lower the pack into current vehiles that have battery slots in the chassis. Not that it plays that big of a roll in off road as much as TC.

Any Kokam (which is whats inside that hard Orion/Peak battery)pack is top shelf. Its kind of like this.
You have brand names in RC like Xray and Kyosho than you have brand names like Thunder Tiger and Sportwerks. None are bad just some are of high quality.

I found that when I buy quality versus expense I always am rewarded with reliabity and durabity.
Its like a servo....You buy a $110 KoPropo servo you 99% satisfied. But if you buy a $55 Hitec servo, sure it works good but you will be only 50% satisified as you find that after a little use that it doesn't center right and you get frustrated.
9 times out 10 you buy quality you buy once. You buy inexpensive you buy repeatedly.
I understand how people hate to spend almost double for the same thing but I hated buying a sub-par part just to buy the quality part later anyhow.

Just so we are clear I am not saying Maxamps or any other brand is a bad product.

-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Ditto on what Shookie said. Also , I believe most of the people at Castle Creations recommend Kokam batteries if that says anything.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote