R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-28-2003, 02:43 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Grass setup for Losi XXX-KE

Has anyone got a reasonable grass track setup for a XXX that does not involve spiky front tyres that I don't have ? Using parts that I probably would have ?

At the moment I am just thinking to make the suspension a bit stiffer and increasing the ride hide to suit the grass length if it is as long as it was for this event last year. I will also probably bung on some Losi Silver studs that I 'm pretty sure I still have in the bottom of my tyre box. These would be on the old narrow rims though. Actually It might be an idea to use the old narrow rims on the front as well I think the steering might be a bit more reactive with the increase in traction.
sleek the elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 05:58 AM   #2
dw
Tech Adept

Ribs just do not work on grass. You need spiky front tyres.
(The exception being when it really turns to dust and there is little grass left. Rarely happens that badly. These are also the conditions required for silver studs to work.)
The width of the rim doesn't make a big difference with most tyres used on grass.

You need schumacher minispikes for the rear.
Ballistic minispike are ok too. Don't feel as predictable though.
For the front:
Schumacher minispikes are best, the outside 2 rows of spikes will need cutting off if grip is high or the car will be far too responsive.
Two row studs are also ok if grip is good. Useless if the track is even slighty damp though. Can make the car snatch in long grass.

As for the rest of the setup. Start with the kit settings for a kinwald edition. (green and pink springs etc). If it is not a kinwald edition you will need to change the springs to pink and green.

Run the cells forward.
You may find you have far too much initial turn in and no on power steering. If so move the pick up point for the front camber link to the inner hole on the caster block.

The other thing changed regularly is the antisquat.
2 degree gives more steering but can make the rear snatch and step out.
0 degree gives more rear grip and is more consistant. It can cause understeer though.
dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 07:47 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

I dont think that driving on grass is to good of an idea. If the grass is really short then it should be fine, but if its over 1.5 inches then it makes it much harder for your motor, battaries and esc to make the car move because of the loads of friction the grass causes. This can cause the electronics to overheat, and thats never good. Just my 2 cents.
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 03:30 AM   #4
dw
Tech Adept

Rubbish!

Virtually every offroad track in the UK is on grass!
It is cut quite short though, and gearing has to be changed to suit.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:24 PM   #5
Tech Regular

It's alright guys, event has already been run and won. Thanks for the tips dw, but I couldn't use spiked front tyres because I simply didn't have any. We were limited to a holeshot control tyre on the back so couldn't take your advice there either. Tyres were actually not too bad until it started bucketing down with rain. Couldn't get my car from the limited shelter that we had to the boot, so it got very wet, forgot to unplug the battery. Even though it was switched off, I managed to fry my speedy quite nicely.....
sleek the elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:58 AM   #6
dw
Tech Adept

Where was this event?
Holeshots seem a very strange choice for a control tyre on grass.

Usually if you get your speedo wet you can get away with drying it out and then they run fine.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:06 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Ok, I was wrong about driving on grass. But Im sure that driving on long grass is not good for your battaries and stuff.
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote