R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-13-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
How do YOU handle a Jump?

I just started racing offroad three weeks ago. The one thing that I'm really trying to figure out is how to jump. I watch the pro and expert drivers and it looks like there are several things that they do to control the various aspects of jumping which appears to include: approach, launch, mid-air nose up/down, mid-air left/right, descent, and landing. This subject looks much more complex than I had thought when I was just a spectator. So, breaking a jump up into the aforementioned six categories, I have some questions:

1) Approach - Other than lining up for a straight approach, anything special here?

2) Launch - Some people look like they goose the throttle right at the lip of the jump and others seem to let off a tiny bit. What does each of these adjustments do?

3) Mid-air nose up/down - I'm racing 2WD electric truck. Does throttle and brake have an impact here?

4) Mid-air left/right - I SWEAR I see people steering in the air. I've seen a local pro make vehicles shift left to right mid-air, several feet, after a straight launch. How is that done?

5) Descent - Is it all about braking, or is there more to it than that? What's the best way to downside a double? What about downsiding the first double of a double-double?

6) Landing - Other than 'keeping it straight' are there any throttle or brake inputs immediately after landing that would help to continue on down the track?

Jumping, to me, is definately the most entertaining part of off-road racing! I'd like to get some input and maybe some good tricks to help keep me off my lid when jumping! Thanks!
Mr.Maim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

It takes a lot of pratice to get all right and some broken parts as well.

In short as im sure others will reply.
Aproach : You always have to be square ie straight if the jump is after a corner you must be straight as soon as possable or you may have to take a different entry into that corner. Depends on your car set up you may have back off before the jump than hit the throttle as you hit the ramp . This will put the nose high in the air or help to have a levell flight. VERY important you must back off the throttle in the air. This allowes you to correct the buggy in the air : Hit the throttle and buggy will go nose up ; Hit the brakes and will go nose down.
Steer left or right will kick the buggy to either side, I dont do this.
If it wants to nose dive leave the gas on Especially with monster trucks have this traight.
Well there are so many variables this just a little info on this others might explain it better. Every jump is different. Good luck. Mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmCddStNyM

QLD State Titles winner in 6S EB CAT
MadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

1) Approach - Other than lining up for a straight approach, anything special here?

Every jump is a bit different, some like a fast approach, some jumps like a coast approach. Just depends on the type of face on the jump. Generally if it is a flat or smoothed faced jump you can coast into it and is a little easier to set your self up for the next jump or corner. If it is peaky or steep, generally want to be on the power or the truck may kick funny (either front up or down, depending again, on the jump style and car set up). But if you are under power the car should jump somewhat stable and corrections can be made in the air.

2) Launch - Some people look like they goose the throttle right at the lip of the jump and others seem to let off a tiny bit. What does each of these adjustments do?

At the launch of the jump, or when taking off from the "lip” if you blip the throttle, generally the car will jump nose high. If you are under a steady smooth throttle, the car should jump relatively straight, again it all depends on the type of jump. If you are coasting generally the truck will want to dive the nose a bit in the air which can be corrected.
3) Mid-air nose up/down - I'm racing 2WD electric truck. Does throttle and brake have an impact here?

4) Mid-air left/right - I SWEAR I see people steering in the air. I've seen a local pro make vehicles shift left to right mid-air, several feet, after a straight launch. How is that done?

I am not sure how they are getting the car to actually move from left to right in mid air, but you can usually get the car to tilt left or right by making adjustments with the front wheels. It is a "momentum" and gyroscopic effect. The momentum or the front wheels will tile the car one way or the other. This is a good trick to learn because some of the faster lines are to the far inside or far outside and usually the fast of the jump is not square or may be a little slanted. Maybe someone else can chime in on how to make the car physically move from left to right. Maybe it is a quick move to either direction on the face of the jump. It usually happens so fast that it is hard to tell what they did to make the car do that. Same goes front the front and rear end. If you give it gas it will bring the nose up a little bit, and if you apply brake it will drop the nose. Now if you stab the brake (real quick trigger) it will drop the nose aggressive, and if you slowly apply the brake it may not move at all. This has a lot to do with car set up and how your particular vehicle reacts on take off.

5) Descent - Is it all about braking, or is there more to it than that? What's the best way to downside a double? What about down siding the first double of a double-double?

Best way to down side a double is a feel thing. It is also a timing thing. You have to hit the first jump almost perfect to downside it and hit the next one good. Again, this is all learned with time, and practice, and of course getting to know your track. If you put in enough laps at any track you will learn or know what your car will do at any point of the track. But for the most part down siding a jump is a timing, smooth, and a feel thing that you just have to teach yourself. Start with question 1 and that will get you started with this.

6) Landing - Other than 'keeping it straight' are there any throttle or brake inputs immediately after landing that would help to continue on down the track?

Personally, I like to also land under a little bit of power. It will unload the shocks a little quicker and get the car back to the correct position (if that makes sense). If the car is squatting down real hard and you land with no power on it may want to hop left or right, or may hit and do something really strange. Usually a little power when landing is going to be a bit smoother, however there are times when you are jumping into a corner and you have no choice to but brake on landing and this is where down siding a jump perfectly comes into play.

Jumping, to me, is definitely the most entertaining part of off-road racing! I'd like to get some input and maybe some good tricks to help keep me off my lid when jumping! Thanks

Best tip I can give you when jumping is stay smooth and get the feel for what your car will do on different types of jumps. Staying smooth and steady is part of the fun, and will come with time and alot of laps.

Hope these will help you at least a little bit.
CRFXXXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
Tech Elite

I like questions like this! WAY better than "which car is better"...hehe.

1) Approach - Accelerate before you get to the jump. Whenever possible, get enough speed to clear the gap before you even get to the take-off.

2) Launch - There are two ways to launch off the jump. By rolling off the throttle a few feet before the jump, and then squeezing the trigger as you roll up the face of the take-off, you will help the suspension pre-load and launch the car or truck off the jump, gaining height. By slamming into the face of the jump and then rolling off the throttle as you leave the lip, you will crush the suspension down and soak up the jump, helping the car fly lower.

3) Mid-air pitch change - Throttle will bring the front end up, brake will (help) bring the front end down. This is true for 2wd and 4wd cars.

4) Mid-air roll-change - The car will roll opposite of the way you turn the front wheels. If your car launches crooked and is rolling to the left, turn the front wheels left (into the roll) to correct this.

5) Descent and Landing (these two go together) - If you need to get on the brakes immediately after landing, adjust the car to be slightly nose-up just before landing, and then slam on the brakes. This way, you can be on the brakes when the car lands, yet you will not cause the car to over-rotate forward.

Same is to be said for when you need to accelerate right after landing. Tap the brakes to make the car fly more nose-down than would otherwise be necessary, so you can get on the gas just before the car lands and not land too nose-high.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:44 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you are running a stock (27turn) motor, it helps to keep on the throttle through teh jump, letting off right as you land, as there is not much air attitude control, and not holding the throttle often results with a yard dart, again this is for stock motors only, mod has plenty of oomph to adjust the car in flight.
gatermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Full throttle, close your eyes, take a deep breath and pray haha
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:17 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maim
That's something I'd also like to do more consistently someday. I'm not exactly sure how the pros do it, but it kind of reminds me of doing a 360 on my snowboard in that the pros actually start making the turn just before the car goes airborne, which helps to set the car up for the next corner. Maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, it looks pretty sweet when they do it!

On the mountain, always lead with your elbows:

Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #8
Tech Regular

That was mighty helpful. Been playing with rc cars for a long time and I never got the hang of jumping other than trying to hit it "square". Been doing cartwheels more than I like to admit.

You guys must have spent alot of airtime to acquire all this knowledge.

Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

With regard to downsiding doubles properly, the key with this, is you may not need to be going top speed to downside it properly. Our track has a section that features a large table top, followed by a close triple. The floor it and see huge air time guys normally, hit the table top and land on the flat part of the track right before the triple, thus they are thrown out of balance and crash on the triple.

The guys that use throttle control, determine the amount of speed necessary to get the car over the table top, downside it, and hit the throttle for triple. Remember if your car is in the air it can't accelerate. And by downsiding a jump you can carry more momentum and pass cars quicker. I have often times passed cars on this section of our track simply by timing my jumps better and being able to overtake them in mid air, as my car has more speed going into the triple then theirs.

The other important thing. Between rounds, always inspect the faces of jumps. If the track is outdoors and dry, the face of the jump will change during the day. Sometimes it's necessary to change your line to avoid holes that will send your car into a cartwheel. Indoors it happens more if gas cars are also running the course. If you see a hole in the track or the crown of a jump gets a dip in it, avoid that part otherwise your car will be launched sideways as the part that hits the normal part of the jump will have a compressed suspension, but the side that hits the hole, will lose its compression entirely thus sending your car into the air sideways.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old 03-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Brushed and brushless motors will have a huge affect on how the vehicle jumps, having to keep power applied vs. neutral throttle. Personally, a brushed motor will offer alot more control of the car.

If your having trouble with a section on the track, nothing beats a few good hours of practice.

Tubaboy has alot of good points which should be considered next time at the track.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

AWESOME! Thanks everyone for your awesome DETAILED responses!! Many, many things to read, re-read, and learn! The Cactus Classic starts here tomorrow and I'll have my chair trackside for as much of it as I can handle... so knowing what I now know, I can watch and have a much better understanding of what's going on and how it's done!

THANKS!

I won't be able to practice until next week with the track closed for the CC so if I have any questions, I'll post back here once all the PROs have gone back home.

Mr.Maim
Mr.Maim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Drag brake and springs

Something nobody mentioned is the drag brake setting.

I like to adjust my throttle trim with a little roll. This helps the truck fly flatter.
Ride height also controls the attitude of your vehicle in the air.
If you get these setup properly the lawn dart effect can be seriously reduced.

Throttle control is still king, but setup goes hand in hand with it.

Aaron, could you please tell me which truck jumps better?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Two word answer....

PUNCH IT!

RC America / XRayUSA / Hudy / Motiv / Avid / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:05 AM   #14
Tech Elite

let of the throttle just before the tyre leave the ground.. punch the throttle to make it nose up.. or brake to make it nose down.. and pray it will fly and landing perfectly..
arghh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:58 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The approach is very important. Sometimes you'll find that going slower before the jump will actually help you clear taller things better than going faster.

For instance, if you are going around a turn where there is going to be a jump, you might take it a bit wide so you can gain speed to make the jump, but end up finding out you can't make it no matter how fast you go. Try slowing down a bit before the jump, then punch it just slightly before the jump.

We had a jump like that a couple weeks ago where no one could really make it, but I didn't have a problem with it because I didn't approach the jump all that fast, but once I came to the jump, I really punched it and I cleared it no problem. People asked me how I was doing it, and I told them I just went a bit slower.
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote