Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Ball Stud Breakage

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Losi Ball Stud Breakage

I was wondering if anyone else has the problem of the Losi XXXNT breaking ball studs in the shock tower. I was wondering also of a source for longer ball studs so as to have it extend through the shock tower and having washers on both sides and a nut on the back side to spread the load evenly across the shock tower. I know the ultimate solution is to never crash of course, however I do not forsee that ever being an option.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:01 AM
dw
Tech Adept

Not specific to the xxx nt but losi recommend regular replacement of their ball studs because they tend to fatigue and break. (it is in the hints tips section of their site.
The solution is simple. Use another brand of ball stud.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

lunsford makes a heavy duty ball stud that you have to use the heavy duty ball cup and turn buckle. the thing is huge.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

use the losi titanium ball studs they work great. i used to break the rear ball studs in my xxxt and i replaced them with the ti ones and i have yet to break one, and they also use a allen driver insted of a nut driver to put them on.
Old 03-29-2003, 12:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Ball Studs

Thanks, it is my neighbors truck and he has broken a few now on both his NT and his XXXT.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Listen to xxxtracer32, just get titanium ball studs and be done with it forever.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Associated ball studs are much stronger as well if your looking for a cheaper solution.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I run the Losi titanium ball studs on every car I own, they are expensive ($9 for 2) but I have never broken one. I use them on every link, they are definately worth the money if you race.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

yeh the ball studs are not cheap. but you only have to get 4 for the rear end. but the associated ball studs break just as the losi ones do. im told that when the truck lands just wrong off a jump the rear end is put under a lot of load. ive broken 4 stock ball studs (2 losi and 2 associated) bent 2 titanium turnbuckles and ive even broken a rear hub. ive only had my xxxt for a few months, and when it happend i didnt crash into a pipe, wall or other truck. it was landing off a set of tripples or doubles just off camber or a little sideways. if you realy want to you can get alluminum rear hubs titanium ball studs and alluminum arm mounts to realy take care breakage.