R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-27-2003, 09:10 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to FL_RaZor
Default 1/10 buggy newbie questions...

Never owned a R/C car before but must have one this week. I have been searching the net for 2 days and have come to the conclusion that I don't have a clue what kind of buggy to purchase.

For the next 5 months I will be traveling through the central part of the US and will have most weekends off....with this in mind, I want to race at local tracks.

I put a limit of $1000.00 on this whole "hobby" for the initial car, parts, ect.

I really like the 1/10 buggys with a big motor. Does a TA RC10GT kit sound like a good starter? Whats the largest motor it will accept? Will it be competetive?

Here is what I don't want......to pull up at a local track and hear "Oh no...you did it all wrong..you should have purchased...." Get my point? I feel as for the money I'm willing to spend I can get a nice package...and I DEFINETLY want to put it together myself. Any recomendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin Ryan
813-376-6886
Feel free to call me with ideas!!
FL_RaZor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 09:24 PM   #2
Tech Adept

A rc10GT is not a buggy its a truck actually If you are after a Good gas powered truck, then yeah, the Rc10gt is great as is the Losi xxxnt. If you do plan on racing then the size of the engine the truck will accept really isn't a issue since a .12 size engine is what most tracks race with.

Matt
pkranger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to FL_RaZor

Ok....truck....

A .12 now is that for sanctioned races or just allowed on the track. See, thats another question.....what if I have a motor thats to large and they (the track) wont let me race.

When I say "race" I mean get together with a bunch of guys at a track and go at it for "bragging rights, " I guess.

Does that make sense?
FL_RaZor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 09:37 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Makes perfect sense. The .12 size is generally used for sanctioned events. I don't see most track owners haveing a problem with you running somthing with a bigger motor. To be honest I am not a Associated guy, I run Losi so I am not sure on the "biggest" engine you can put in the GT a .15 perhaps?? I am sure one of the rc10gt guys will chime in and help you in that area
pkranger63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 09:42 AM   #5
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I was you I would seriously look into the Losi XXX-NT at this time for several reasons. For one, the truck has a lot more factory drivers running it so you can get a lot more support for it setup wise at www.teamlosi.com and at www.teamtrinity.com in the Adam Drake and Matt Francis threads. The second point is if you get a new RC10GT, I bet within a year associated will make a new truck that utilizes the new geometry of the B4 and you won't be happy with your truck anymore.

As far as the .15 goes, most tracks let the .15's race with the .12's while you guys are in novice, but once you move up to the regular classes you won't be able to.

AE | Reedy | KO | Tekin | Powermaster | Avid | Upgrade | BCE | Paint by Smiley
David Joor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:08 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Being new to the hobby I would recomend an electric buggy. Associated has just come ou with the b4 and so I would recomend the b4.
traxxasdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:22 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

i'm pretty new to the whole nitro r/c thing myself.. just bought a new Ofna Hyper 7 PBS.. it's a 1/8th scale buggy.. i have it all ready to go, but i can't break it in until tomorrow.. so i'm really looking forward to it.. here's the link to it:

http://www.ofna.com/hyperPBS.html

on www.rcmodles.com it goes for $509, which was within my price range.. it's a whole kit and comes with a radio, starter box, and even some tools and a glow plug igniter.. but i bought some extra tools and stuff from my LHS, and between all that, batteries for the starter box, charger, 2 gallons of byron's fuel, i've put about $720 total into the whole thing so far.. but that's pretty much everything i'll need for a good long while.. from what i've been hearing, the Ofna Hyper 7 is a GREAT buggy, and the upgraded model i just bought with the Pivot Ball Suspension, is supposed to really help it out at the track.. it comes stock with a 8 port .21 engine, non pull start.. so i gotta use a starter box.. also, i've been reading/hearing that most engines are 4 port, and this particular 8 port gives it a really good boost in horsepower..

i dont regret buying this one at all.. i can't wait to fire it up!! =)
i hear that the Kyosho MP 7.5 is really great too.. it's supposed to be supreme at the track's, but it's a bit more costly.. but here's the link to it:

http://www.kyosho.com/cars/kyoc0560.html

but like i said, i'm still a newbie to whole thing and just sharing some of my research.. hope it helps..

-jimmy
neopumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 08:48 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If you are just starting out you have to keep things in perspective,One,RC cars are harder to drive/race than they look,Two,Nitro is alot harder to figure out than electric.My thoughts on starting out are, I would buy electric,I would look at the Losi RTR xxxt ($290)It has a good radio,servo, speed controler is ok.I would buy at least 3 to 4 3000ma batterys($240) and a good charger,Quasar pro ($190)That puts you right at $720.That gives you a little cash to buy some nice tools and some tires.At most tracks I have raced at the largest class is electric truck,learn to drive,learn how to make adjustments,Then if you want switch to nitro.If you take care of your equipment you can allways trade or sell to get another car.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:22 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Default Just getting started in the hobby?

I would suggest starting with electric. But you then have to decide truck or buggy. In my opinion buggies are more challenging to drive than trucks. Another thing to consider is the level that you want to go in at. You said your limit was 1000 dollars. You could put together a really nice kit and have some left over depending on your options.
If you are considering racing-then you will want a quality speed control, build your batteries, FM radio, good digital/ peak charger/ quality servos, stock or mod motor, ect.
If you are just puttering around, I suggest getting a RTR-entry level model kit, drive it to get familar with its operation on a track. The track surface is really where you will gain valuable experience.
After you have determined your likes and dislikes about your kit, you could sell the RTR to someone just starting out and upgrade to the next level by purchasing a nicer kit, and better components.
It appears for the budget that your allowing, that you may be considering racing. Who knows?

Have a good one.

Christopher Hall
Track Master
Komet R/C RacePark-Sponsored by Discount Hobby Warehouse
San Diego, California U.S.A.

threeEwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:37 PM   #10
Suspended

I love electric raceing i race my Truck and its fst.
R C king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 07:48 AM   #11
Tech Adept

if u are a newbee, try a 4wd buggy because its easier to drive
than a 2wd. if youll start with a 2wd, u might end up frustrated.
I recommend a xxx4 fast and great handling and easier to maintain. with a 12 turn motor, 3300 battery packs, mill pro charger, m8 controller, keyence zero,erg servo and send me your change.
long7462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:04 AM   #12
Suspended

yes the 4 wheel drives are fast and handle well.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:23 AM   #13
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I suggest to anyone starting out, to start with a electric 2wd buggy. Many reasons for this, yes they are a little harder to drive. Starting out you'll be in the Novice class. This class is for people just starting. Every Novice race is won by the person who can go around the track without wrecking. I've seen people start with a buggy become better drivers quicker, as opposed to starting with a truck. Buggies are only harder to drive because they are a little more twitchy. That teaches you throttle control.
The next reason, with 2wd electric buggy you can learn the fundementals of car setup, motor care, and general maintenance. Don't have to worry about tuning a gas engine and or trying to start the thing. I've watch some novice gas driving miss a lot of races because they can't start the thing or it won't stay running. With a electric stock motor and the new 3300 MaH batteries you can probably run for 10-12 mintues on one battery, lots of practice time for your effort.
The last thing, practice, practice, practice. Pick up a car off Ebay! You really don't need a brand new one starting out. You can get some cars in great shape for lot less money (I got a Losi XXX last summer for my son to start with for $175 that had everything but a charger with it). At this point you don't need a bunch of hop-ups and go fast parts. Get a good car (Losi XXX or Assoc. B3 or B4), it doesn't matter which brand at this point, spend your money on gas to get to the track and drive all you can. Concentrate on driving, go lap after lap without wrecking. When you can run a 5 minute race with needing a turn marshall once, then spend some money on improving the car and making it faster.
Don't worry about what everyone else it doing at the track, except what kind of tires they are running. Run you own race. If you have car problems, them there is always someone at the track to help you out. Find out who the fast guys are and ask them.
take care
john
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:19 PM   #14
Suspended

Thats a nice speach
Old 04-24-2003, 02:47 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I still think trucks are the way to go if your just starting out.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote