R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-09-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default The history of 1/8 buggies.

Hey everyone.

I thought it would be interesting to take a look back in time of modern 1/8 scale nitro buggies. Particularly, the grandfather of the Kyosho Inferno series, the Burns/Turbo Burns.

I seem to recall the Burns being considered a revolutionary design for its day, but all I have on it is the old '89 & '90 Kyosho catalog; I used to have the RCCA review by Steve Pond (summer '88 or so) but it's long gone. Are there any pics out there on these cars or their predecessors? I think it would be really neet to see early concepts and be able to trace their evolution over the years.

Pics anyone?
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If I had a scanner Id put up some old magazine articles with the burns, mugen serpent ect. I started out with a turbo burns back in 89 btw. Was a great car.
kamlooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Smile

Well i must be old lol.

The Kyosho nitro buggies started with the Landjump. Yep and was a chain drive 8th scale with a roll cage like the Optima based buggy electric called the Javlin. The newer version was the Vanning. back in the 82 -84 era.
They left the 8 scale and concertated on electric The Optima seriesin the mid 80's. I raced there optima sries eithe the turbo version (chain drive) In the late 80's they realised the Optima Mid ( belt Drive) At my club we had both elictric and nitro. The gun 8th than was a PB Mustang Xi3. They were so heavy. I rember watching these go . Man they sound so good changing gears down our big straight. PB was a English company.
Ok, Kyosho Than decided to build a 8 scale from the ground up using there knowledge from the Optima mid. The Burns was than realised , One guy got it at our track and blew them away with it. It was so much lighter and shocks worked really well. Bigger versions of the famous gold shocks on the optima.
The Turbo Burns than came out after that and i think the Mp5 was next.
PB made a electric version 10th called the Mini Mustang. Yep had a 2 speed gear box. It was so fast and single belt drive as well.
My good old days bye Mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmCddStNyM

QLD State Titles winner in 6S EB CAT
MadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Vanning was the first one I recall... guess I'm not the oldest here
Attached Thumbnails
The history of 1/8 buggies.-vanning.jpg  
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Good post, I remember the vanning too. That car looked so heavy......and it was! The engines at the time were not too reliable. Around that time I bought a kyosho 1/10 buggy (Advance) that was like the scorpion, rear engine/ gearbox setup. Came with an enya 09, which blew up after only a few tanks.
There was also a pb mini mustang 2 speed local as well, it was ballistic on the straights but man...that thing rarely finished a race!
Sounds like we all raced the same cars...optima, turbo opt., optima mid, turbo mid, laser ect.
To me it seems the burns was the basis of what we have today as far as car design. I dont know of an earlier release that has a similar layout.

Hey glassdoctor, thanks for the link..
kamlooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

OoOoOoh, the Vanning! A sleek beast compared to the PB Mustang

Actually, I found some Mustang photos here:

http://www.rccars.stuandcathy.com/ht...stang_xi2.html

Quite the dinosaur in appearance; it's amazing how much the basic design has evolved over the course of a generation.

As for the Burns, one thing that I find comical on the original was the screw-off fuel cap, that must've made refuelling a real PITA.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote