Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What fuel?? Cannot decide! >

What fuel?? Cannot decide!

What fuel?? Cannot decide!

Old 04-03-2003, 06:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

get fuel that your LHS will always have

if all of those fuels you mentioned are always available i would choose byrons or trinity

i have used most of the common types of fuel and those 2 are IMO far superior to the rest
Old 04-04-2003, 10:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Default % question

i just bought a Hyper 7 PBS, and on the Ofna website, they recommend either "Byron 20%" or "Sidewinder 20%"..

as more of a newbie to the whole nitro r/c world, what does the 20% mean? nitro or oil?

i spoke with this guy on the Ofna customer support line, and he didn't have a clue what he was talking about.. he told me to just run whatever, as long as it had 20% nitro.. that 12% oil would work fine..

from what i understand, when you're breaking an engine in, you should be running 20% oil.. i picked up 2 gallons of Byrons 20% (20% oil content, as indicated on the white label on the jug), and was wondering if i got the right stuff.. can anyone share their recommendations?
Old 04-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

are you sure it was 20% oil?

usually when we talk about fuel % we are refering to nitro content

the byrons fuel i have says 30% nitro 11% oil

race 3000 or something like that

20% oil maybe too much

most brands are 12% oil or less i think
Old 04-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Tech Initiate

yea, there's a little white label on the top of the jug and it says "20% oil content".. kinda stinks i got the wrong stuff, but i should be able to take it back..

so now i understand that when people talk about %'s it's the nitro percentage.. is there a "standard" on oil percentages? should i run 16% oil to make my engine last longer?

note* i dont even have the car yet, so i'll be breaking the engine in this weekend probably..
Old 04-04-2003, 12:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

i run the 11% oil

ive heard byrons will make an engine last a really long time from engine expert motorman(dennis ritchie)

i used to run the trinity platnium which only has 8% oil

and my engines last a long time so i wouldnt worry

i dont even know a fuel with 16% oil
Old 04-06-2003, 04:35 PM
Tech Initiate

so it turns out that my newbie'ness got in the way of the right fuel and i originally bought air plane fuel (20% oil).. lol.. kinda goofy of me, but i learned, right? =)

so i picked up a gallon of the byron's 20% (12% oil), and a gallon of the byron's 25% (11%) oil.. i'm sure the vet's know the oil %'s and stuff though..

i have a question though: i intend to break in the engine by running the 20%, and continue to use the 20% until the rest of the gallon is gone.. will it matter if i then switch to 25%? or should i stick with 20%?

the guy at the hobby shop said that he breaks his engines in with 20% and then jumps up to byron's 30%, which works just fine for him.. so i'm hoping that using 25% is a good bet after i break the engine in..

-J
Old 04-07-2003, 07:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

you can change fuel as often as you want

the only thing is you will have to retune the engine

dont be afraid unless you get some backyard noname fuel it will never cause a engine failure

improper tuning blows engine not fuel