R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-07-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Cool Looking for info on mini wireless cameras for R/C

I didn't know where to post this, so I figured I'd start here because I want to mount a camera in my T4

Does anybody know of any GOOD QUALITY (meaning good image quality) wireless cameras that would be small enough to mount inside the body of a T4? I'm looking for a wireless camera (instead of an all-in-one) so I can keep the weight and bulk to a minimum by connecting my DVCam to a wireless video receiver trackside. I've seen videos here and on youtube.com of people taking videos from cars and planes, and either they're using digital cameras in movie mode strapped to a vehicle, or they're incapable of answering the question "what kind of camera did you use?". Also, if anyone knows of any good websites that sell cameras at decent prices. I think anything above $150 for a mini camera and a receiver is unnecessary.

So: wireless camera brand, and where to get it. Suggestions?

Last edited by Mr.Maim; 03-07-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Mr.Maim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

I'm sure rcforum will post because he posted a high quality video from a SBV2 Pro buggy. It was a long, great looking video.
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Tech Master

Actually I asked TWICE in that thread, along with someone else, what kind of camera was used... no answer.

I'm wondering if I should post this elsewhere. I thought I'd get more responses on this...

Last edited by Mr.Maim; 03-08-2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Here's your camera.

http://www.weatherstations.net.au/in...roducts_id=166

That's in Australia, I'm sure you can get them where you are.

Lithium battery built-in. Audio. It's wicked. My first attempt was a little fuzzy at the extremeties of the track so I'm trying a larger receiver antenna and location. It operates on the 2.4ghz band, same as Spektrum, so make sure it's on before others turn their radios on (if filming at a race track).

Otherwise it's great. The little mount it comes with is good. I have mine screwed to the back of my BJ4 and can fire forward or backwards. It will also sit in my AD2 well, shooting through the screen.

I've attached a pic to see the camera (under the wing). I've attached the receiver to a hard drive recorder rather than camcorder. PM me if you want to discuss further, otherwise good luck!

PS you can buy this camera as a pack complete with receiver. That's what I did. If you can't track one down there, I'd be happy to buy and post across. I did a lot of research on this, and although it's CMOS (and not CCD), I think for the size it's the best available. Anything better will be much larger and not practical.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for info on mini wireless cameras for R/C-img_3165.jpg  
Eggyolkeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Tech Master

Thumbs up

AWESOME! That's exactly what I'm looking for! I've been able to find it from several distributers here Stateside. Thanks a bunch!

You don't by any chance have any video you've taken posted anywhere out on the internet do you? I'd like to see the image quality, even if it's just ten seconds of video.

Thanks again for your advice! Mr.Maim
Old 03-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So it's wireless, what do you use to receive and record the signal?
Rysuleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It came packaged with a wireless receiver, but you can use a seperate one. Just a 2.4ghz wireless receiver (looks like a wireless router).

This has RCA Video and Audio (mono) out.

I used a home DVD/Hard Disk recorder and simply pressed RECORD! Burnt it to disc then recovered on my PC for editing. A few steps to converting it to a file that Premiere recognises but all works.
Eggyolkeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You can also find wireless camera setups from http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

Some work involved, as you'd have to remove the camera from their housing, but I've seen a guy at our track use X10's stuff in a T-Maxx and on an eletric RC glider, for aerial views of the track.
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Hi, can it wireless link to a laptop? Of course, the laptop has a access point. I would like to record the whole process into a laptop.
phoakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:40 PM   #10
Tech Master

Sure, as long as your laptop has a video input (yellow RCA jack or an S-Video input) and some sort of video capture software to record the input signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoakm
Hi, can it wireless link to a laptop? Of course, the laptop has a access point. I would like to record the whole process into a laptop.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:42 PM   #11
Tech Master

Thanks Stealth! I've looked at theirs in the past. Seems to me that the image quality is a little sub-par. The one that eggyolkeo suggested is a higher quaility camera... but then now that I think about it, maybe I don't want an expensive camera on the vehicle when I wreck, now do I? Hmmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
You can also find wireless camera setups from http://www.x10.com/homepage.htm

Some work involved, as you'd have to remove the camera from their housing, but I've seen a guy at our track use X10's stuff in a T-Maxx and on an eletric RC glider, for aerial views of the track.