Like Tree387Likes

JConcepts Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_King
Hot Road can get hot, hopefully not over 100. Im thinking 80+ though. Oranges still a good compound for the rears?
The orange seems to be the best all round tyre for these conditions on the rear, but it might be worth trying a set of whites in the middle of the day when it is really hot. The oranges seemed to work well at Cactus this year, and I heard it was pretty warm there through the day.

Our track apparently has a similar surface to hot rod, and we have a similar blazing sun to Cali, and I found the whites felt a little more locked in when it was 100F and the track was hot from the sun.

Ray
Old 06-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ray_munday
The orange seems to be the best all round tyre for these conditions on the rear, but it might be worth trying a set of whites in the middle of the day when it is really hot. The oranges seemed to work well at Cactus this year, and I heard it was pretty warm there through the day.

Our track apparently has a similar surface to hot rod, and we have a similar blazing sun to Cali, and I found the whites felt a little more locked in when it was 100F and the track was hot from the sun.

Ray
Ok, dont think I can afford to double up on 2 different compounds so orange will have to do hehe
Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Im no Frank Root, but I do a fair bit of tyre testing down here in Australia for JConcepts. We had a really hot summer, and recently had a big race just as the weather was cooling off, and I have found the following:

When the track is really grippy and abrasive, the orange works better than the blue above 20C (70F). The blues tend to fold over in these conditions and wear quickly.

I did a test on a 38C (100F) day on a very grippy track and the whites were better than orange in these conditions. The softer tyres overheated after only a couple of laps!

In moderate conditions (25c /75F) the oranges tend to work well from lap 1 whereas the whites take a couple of laps to come in. they tend to wear very well.

I found the blues were really good on a grooved red clay track when it was cooler (15C / 60F). It is worth trying firmer inserts in them as the soft compound means that the carcass move more.

As for compound choice:
- if the compound is too soft, the tyre will feel to go off after a couple of laps when it overheats. It can also feel 'snappy' as if the grip comes and then suddenly goes as the pins fold under.

- if the compound is too firm, the tyre will feel like it is skating on the surface. It may also take a few laps to work as it comes up to temp.

Like Frank said, the difference is subtle, and the best bet is to experiment with a few different compounds back to back to get a feel for it.

L8r

Ray
Hi Ray, thanks for sharing. I would assume your tests above were on JC Bar Codes, am I correct?

Have you compared Bar Codes with Losi BK Bar Red? I am curious if BK Bar Red is as temperature sensitive as Bar Codes, because I believe everyone just ran BK Bar Red at the rear end all day at previous Hot Rod Shootouts.

Last edited by billythekid; 06-17-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by billythekid
Hi Ray, thanks for sharing. I would assume your tests above were on JC Bar Codes, am I correct?

Have you compared Bar Codes with Losi BK Bar Red? I am curious if BK Bar Red is as temperature sensitive as Bar Codes, because I believe everyone just ran BK Bar Red at the rear end all day at previous Hot Rod Shootouts.

Hi mate,

all testing was on Bar Codes, correct.

I was comparing directly with the BK Bars (reds). I would say that the JC Orange is most comparable with the Losi Red compound, with the JC White being a little harder, but not as dramatic a difference in grip as going to say Losi Silver.

The biggest difference I found with the Bar Codes vs the BK Bar at the rear was that the Bar Codes were much smoother in the transition from cornering to acceleration. The forward traction and cornering grip was not that much different to BK bars, but were much easier to drive especially if there are any flowing sections on the track where you need to blend cornering and throttle. My consistency with Bar Codes was much better and I could drive a bit more aggressively. I think that this is due to the 'Y' design.

The 2wd front bar codes grip better than the taper pins and wear much better, as well as working better if there is any dust on the track. Id recommend having a used set of whites for the front if the grip really comes up and there is no dust.

Ray
Old 06-17-2009, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Ray, can you direct me to where I can get bar codes here in Aus or better still, do you know who in Brisbane may have them?
Cheer's
Old 06-17-2009, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dirtdustingdavo
Ray, can you direct me to where I can get bar codes here in Aus or better still, do you know who in Brisbane may have them?
Cheer's
Dave,

try www.nbhc.com.au for JC stuff (Sydney). Not sure who stocks them in Brisbane - you would need to ask Ari at HEI (JC Importers into oz).

L8r

Ray

Last edited by ray_munday; 06-17-2009 at 04:56 AM. Reason: missing .au on web link
Old 06-17-2009, 05:29 AM
PW
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dragonfueled
Im really wanting to hear about the new dare bodies. I got a slash and sc10 that need new lids
Illuzion – Dare – Associated SC10 body
Part # - 0082
(Direct fit for Associated SC10)

Click here to order yours today

Old 06-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I was waiting to see some pictures of that body. Now that I do I think I will order the "truth" instead. Not really liking this one. I do want some of those rims though.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

why do my jconcept ballcups (the cool long ones) rub the rear spring on my B4 is this normal?
Old 06-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mandy116
why do my jconcept ballcups (the cool long ones) rub the rear spring on my B4 is this normal?
Are you running some kind of custom anti squat block with extra toe in? If you are not, then the ball cups should not touch the rear shock springs.

I have tried these ball cups, although they do a good job of absorbing impacts, they do get bent very easily. They are much softer than the stock ball cups. I recommend using either the original Associate ones or RPM ones.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

The 2wd front bar codes grip better than the taper pins and wear much better, as well as working better if there is any dust on the track. Id recommend having a used set of whites for the front if the grip really comes up and there is no dust.

Ray
Hi Ray, thanks again for such detailed explainations.

1) Regarding the front bar codes, did you mean running a new set when the track is cooler, and run a used set when the track is hotter?

2) What do you think of these combinations for 2wd at Hot Rod Shootout?

a) Below 70 degree air temp, Used White Bar Code Front + New Blue Bar Code Rear.

b) Between 70 and 100 degree air temp, New White Bar Code Front + New Orange Bar Code Rear.

c) Above 100 degree air temp, New White Bar Code Front + New White Bar Code Rear.

* I assume all the temperature you referred to were air temp. If you were referring to track temp, please correct me.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

1) Regarding the front bar codes, did you mean running a new set when the track is cooler, and run a used set when the track is hotter?

a) Below 70 degree air temp, Used White Bar Code Front + New Blue Bar Code Rear.

b) Between 70 and 100 degree air temp, New White Bar Code Front + New Orange Bar Code Rear.

c) Above 100 degree air temp, New White Bar Code Front + New White Bar Code Rear.

* I assume all the temperature you referred to were air temp. If you were referring to track temp, please correct me.

Thats a good rule of thumb.....but try not to overthink it. Ultimately your car set up, driving style, and what feels good to you should determine your tire choice. If you had only oranges for the rear and whites for the front you would probably be fine. For years the Losi silver taper fronts and red BkBars for the rear were the tire no matter what the temp was at the Shootout. For most people, the subtle differences in the compounds may not be felt....unless your name is Ryan Mayfield or Frank Root .
Old 06-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Cheer's for the info Ray
Old 06-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Billy,

As a general rule of thumb, this looks good for the rear tyres.

For the front, I would run used White Bar Codes when it is really hot. When it is cooler (70) you could try blue fronts to match the rears. Sorry if my first explanation wasnt clear. You will find the 2wd front bar codes last much longer than taper pins, and in my experience work best on a really grippy track after about 3 runs.

Im not sure what sort of temp range you will see at the Shootout. As nc-hopsing said, if all you had were orange rears and white fronts you would probably be fine for 90% of the conditions. But as tyres are the single biggest factor in improving lap times, its always good to be prepared. Id suggest you speak to guys like Frank at the race and find out what tyres they will use at which time.

With JC (and PL) now providing tyres for these conditions which have traditionally been dominated by the BK Bars, compound choice will probably be more important as people search for any edge they can get. The red BK Bar was a default control tyre for many years!

L8r

Ray

Old 06-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Suspended

Default AE Is Killer Of All......

Hi mate,

all testing was on Bar Codes, correct.

I was comparing directly with the BK Bars (reds). I would say that the JC Orange is most comparable with the Losi Red compound, with the JC White being a little harder, but not as dramatic a difference in grip as going to say Losi Silver.

The biggest difference I found with the Bar Codes vs the BK Bar at the rear was that the Bar Codes were much smoother in the transition from cornering to acceleration. The forward traction and cornering grip was not that much different to BK bars, but were much easier to drive especially if there are any flowing sections on the track where you need to blend cornering and throttle. My consistency with Bar Codes was much better and I could drive a bit more aggressively. I think that this is due to the 'Y' design.

Ray
How you Compare the Suburbs MX compound.... Orange Dot...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.