R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree39Likes

Old 11-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #1006
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Again, thanks for your reply. I agree it is amplified in the rear. I feel some of it is coming from the actual pistons in the ID of the shock body as well. For instance, when I was assembling the car I made SURE to get ALL burrs of the pistons, I mean I really took my time with it--(alot more time than when I rebuilt the shocks in my T4 and replaced the pistons) and on 1 or 2 of the shocks the piston barely slid in the body--only when I gave it a good tug or push would it slide up and down and then only with a rough, grittiness--needless to say this was unacceptable, so I removed some of the "lip" on the top and bottom of the piston on the affected body--I thought I got it smooth like it should be. But perhaps its adding some stiction? As for me removing material from the length of the long spacer, tell me what you think of this article:

http://users.pandora.be/elvo/

Since I can't link directly there. Click on the above link, then go to Colums--click on "Building Associated shocks", then go to page 3--it shows the guy explaining why he both shortens the long spacer, and reduces the OD of the spacer stack (2 short and 1 long).
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #1007
Tech Fanatic

I like my shocks to be SMOOTH. I go alot crazier than most people I know who are just club racing for fun. I usually rebuild rear shocks after every race/practice day, that means new o-rings (they swell just by sitting in oil) but I re-use the thin and thick plastic spacers and clip. Front shocks can go every 2 race days. This goes for Associated and Losi shocks. Losi shocks are so easy to get super smooth, but I find Losi shocks absolutely need new o-rings quite often or else their action is hampered by excessive stiction. Associated shocks seem to stay smooth even with somewhat sticky or tight o-rings--but I still like to stay on top of them and put new ones in. Also, as you know it takes quite a bit more time and fuss to get Associated shocks nice and smooth, but when they are working I feel they are more responsive than Losis--thanks in part to a more progressive spring (the Losi has a more linear spring rate)
Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #1008
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

The unobtanium shafts have been used by AE for a number of years now, and Ive found them to be quite good. Gold shafts in the kits has happened since the TTR takeover.

You may just have an issue of manufacturing tolerances between the shock bodies and the shaft (assuming the plastics remain the same batch to batch).
Old 11-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #1009
Tech Fanatic

Well, I can see--just by looking at the bottom of the shock that the hole in the alloy shock body is clearly larger than the shock shaft--so the shaft is not contacting the alloy body. I think what is happening is the piston OD is too large for the ID of the body, I am getting a rough action from that. I will put a new set of pistons (same number) on the offending shocks and see if that does it. So perhaps its not the Unobtanium--if you guys are saying you had no problems with them.

I am also thinking it might actually be the ID of the long and short plastic spacers. I never actually put them on the shock shaft by themselves to see if they are binding on the shaft. I will try that when I tear the shocks down again.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #1010
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I have read that article and while it is a good idea to "fit" the parts together I still think you could easily over sand a piece and wind up with a slightly loose fit (it takes very little) and then the piston can gall against the inside of the shock body because the spacers and bushings aren't fully guiding and supporting the shaft. These parts must fit snugly in the body. One difference between the Losi shocks and the AEs is the Losi shocks use a teflon piston that gets away with being a bushing surface more easily than the plain molded nylon pistons of the AE shocks. That makes the accuracy (or lack of) of Losi's bushings less important. From what you've described, it sounds like your pistons are out of round or too big. The AE pistons being simple molds do vary slightly from batch to batch.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #1011
Tech Fanatic

I think the quality control on Losi pistons is better than AE. They come packaged "free" in the bag, while the AE are still on a parts tree. I was under the impression that the Losi pistons were nylon and the AE were teflon?

On Oople they often talk about using Losi pistons in AE bodies, is this a viable option? I am definatley going to put new piston in the offending bodies to see if this helps my situation.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #1012
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 View Post
I was under the impression that the Losi pistons were nylon and the AE were teflon?
I am pretty sure it's the other way around. You can use the Losi pistons in AE shocks, they fit well. If you mic the shock pistons you will find that the Losis are something like .1-.2mm bigger. They have a tighter fit.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:50 AM   #1013
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to beachragz Send a message via Yahoo to beachragz

I think i have to sell my bj4 worlds to get the b44 i really dig the new features..!! what do you think should i...???
beachragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:56 AM   #1014
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to beachragz Send a message via Yahoo to beachragz

Do you know if any of the illuzions truggy bodys that are lower profile bodys would fit on a losi 8T...???? the losi one seems to be kind of tall..!!!
beachragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #1015
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachragz View Post
Do you know if any of the illuzions truggy bodys that are lower profile bodys would fit on a losi 8T...???? the losi one seems to be kind of tall..!!!
We sell a direct replacement for the stock body, 0035HD is the part number.

http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=150
Old 11-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #1016
Tech Fanatic

I actually had an order for about 2 months for a b44--I got a BJ4 about 3 weeks ago instead. I didn't think that the B44 would be out at the end of October--but even so I am beyond impressed with my BJ4. I know the B44 has a few impressive features that the bj4 doesn't have (can adjust slipper inside the car, servo saver, the CV axles I don't really see as an improvement as I always got on good with MIP CVDs,) I still don't understand however, why everyone with BJ4s wants to immediatley replace them with B44s. I mean, IMO getting the kit and building it won't even be big thrill like getting a new kit is because you are building an almost identical car!! I can understand if guys have Bj4s that are getting kind of old and sloppy and just want that "new car feel" but otherwise--I think the Bj4 doesn't need to be replaced just to get a servo saver and a more useable slipper.

I know alot of it is just to be one of the first few guys at the track with the "latest and greatest" even if it is very similar to a current car. Sometimes that first on the block thrill gets the best of you. Nothing wrong with that at all, I am the same damn way!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #1017
Tech Elite

If you want aluminum/all the hopups, but the BJ4. If you want composite and the newer features, get the B44.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #1018
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 View Post
I think the quality control on Losi pistons is better than AE. They come packaged "free" in the bag, while the AE are still on a parts tree. I was under the impression that the Losi pistons were nylon and the AE were teflon?

On Oople they often talk about using Losi pistons in AE bodies, is this a viable option? I am definatley going to put new piston in the offending bodies to see if this helps my situation.
I believe the gold shock shafts feel smoother than the old unobtanium ones.

A couple other things to make them feel smoother...get some .02 motor shims and put them between the piston and the eclip to tighten the piston. Also, make sure the shock is near full of oil. The more air it has in it, the more noise it makes which makes it sound like it is rubbing on something. Also, if the packing was difficult to push into the shock, that means the bottom white spacer needs a small slice cut out of it. Make it look like an almost closed "C". That can cause the shock to make a plastic scraping noise too.

I have tried losi pistons and while the may feel a little smoother, they don't transform the car into making it feel like it is riding on a pillow. The stock pistons work well.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #1019
Tech Elite

rripp-Rod Rippee? Are you coming to The Clash?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #1020
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I see that there is now 8th scale wheels on the stie, but when are the 10th scale wheels coming out (and the goose bump tires, as I will be the first at my track with them )

*Team CFX Racing**Evil 3 Paint Works*
carbon madness is offline   Reply With Quote