R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Kyosho MP777 WC

Hi, I just got myself a new replacement buggy, the kyosho MP777 WC. I got this because the Mugen MBX5R was out of stock world wide and since I couldn't wait to start running, I bought this instead. So here i was building up the WC. Pretty smooth build and things work pretty fine but I'am beginning to wonder what all those claims about the car being world champion and blah blah blah was...I mean, I looked at other brands like the X-RAY and HoBao and they all seem to have a stronger overall design as compared to the Kyosho. So I was wondering if the MP777 WC was just a hype. Recently, the X-RAY buggy with spring steel technology has kinda caught my eye and my wallets kinda crying for it....
razer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AndyMoore

The Kyosho has been the model for most every model to follow it, in some form or another. That should say a LOT.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:42 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L2-ProRacer

You made the right choice - dont worry

After switching from Xray to Kyosho - it was a much better buggy to race.
L2-ProRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Oh, I see. So I guess there's nothing else other than piloting skills to worry about huh?

But then again, I see more threads catering to those non kyosho buggies and in fact, I seldom see a thread on Kyosho buggies like the 777....
Old 03-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to nhodd

where is the best place on the net to find hints and set up sheets for the sp2
nhodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Kyosho does make a great buggy ( or so I've heard because I've never owned one) but you really have to wonder why nearly everone that has one has replaced most if not all of the aluminum with aftermarket parts like Kingheadz, Fioroni. I'm not saying Kyosho is junk by any means, but why spend top dollar on a buggy only to replace most of it later on ? Plus, they're famous for model changes quite frequently. I almost bought an ST-R but heard about some bad diffs, plus I knew they'd be coming out with a longer chassis. I'm also not too crazy about Phillips head screws on a $700+ kit.

I'm sure you won't have any problems with the car, take care of it, perform routine maintenance, and dont' beat on it, and it'll last for years to come.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhodd
where is the best place on the net to find hints and set up sheets for the sp2
I suppose kyosho japan webby has got some pdf files on them....
Old 03-06-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
Tech Adept

The mugen was actually on my no.1 list. So was the X-RAY...Because for that price I'am paying, both of these kits seemed to offer me something that i like. On the kyosho however, i seem to be paying a premium but for things that look pretty standard to me even if it says WC version on the box....
Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to GregH

Kyosho has been one of the leading brands of off road nitro powered kits for many years. They still make a duriable and strong running kit however, over the last 5 years, there's been many other companies trying to step up to the plate to knock Kyosho off the top of the hill and are doing it in record numbers. Mark Pavidas won the world's with the Kyosho but thats only 1 race, a serious race but still only 1 race. At this point the choices are almost endless to what brand car you want. I personally drive/own a original XB8 and have re-built it (no drivetrain parts, just plastic) only once in over 12 gallons! I use to race Kyosho cars exclusively for over 5 years and went through 2 kits a year+ parts just to maintain racing weekly! They seemed to wear faster then most kits back then but they were duriable and stayed together for the most part. Now, Kyosho has their work cut out for them if they want to even get to the top again.

With the coming release of the newly updated XB8ec, large bore shocks and better weight placement, I'll be sure to get one soon, as my reliable old XB8 is showing signs of wear on the drivetrain (original uni's and diffs) after 16 total gallons on it!
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:13 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razer123
The mugen was actually on my no.1 list. So was the X-RAY...Because for that price I'am paying, both of these kits seemed to offer me something that i like. On the kyosho however, i seem to be paying a premium but for things that look pretty standard to me even if it says WC version on the box....

Sounds like your not too happy that you paid a premium for the letters "WC". I say dump it and try out the new RC8, at least with the AE car you won't have to worry about a new model every 6-8 months. If the car is designed correctly from the beginning, there's no need to change anything.

The Xray line of cars are hard to beat also. They wear well and you get quite a bit for your money. Look at the original XB8, it came with Profitools, a battery, and a few other small goodies in the kit at standard equipment. Not to mention, they tolerances are a little tighter than some other cars.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:37 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Na, run that WC. Its a great car, and you can never go wrong w/ a kyosho.

I am also a big AE fan, but it will be quite a while before I think about getting the RC8. I will let all you guys get the bugs worked out while I run a reliable car.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=184104

WWW.BUSTOUTBMX.COM
TheTurtleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #12
Tech Elite

I really do enjoy watching the car d'jour parade at our local race tracks.

Last year Xrays were in favor, now you rarely see one out of about 100 entries on a weekend. The new fave is the CEN Matrix, we have a couple sponsored racers using them (they could drive anything to first place) so the march is on for the wanna-bes to get CENs. Most are now using Losi 8ights, Mugens and Kyoshos. You get a fair amount of OFNAs in the lower mains (including Jammin) more for the lower cost and not because of performance (newer drivers).

So in the keep up with the Jones race you will always lose unless you have a lot of money or pick up a factory ride.

Bottom line is that the top model of any company is able to win on any day given a good set up for the track and the skills required to drive.

I personally do not see the need to throw a few hundred dollars of aluminum bling to replace perfectly function plastic parts but that is why free enterprise works because people just love to personalize their belongings for individuality reasons.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

models: Kyosho - 777, 777sp1, 777sp2, 777wc

X-ray - XB8, XB8r, XB8tq, XB8ec

Looks pretty even to me.
CR-01
teabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:32 AM   #14
Tech Adept

But it seems that kyosho's MP777 WC isn't really feature laden like its competitors buggies...Parts and design looks pretty simple to me and the chassis stiffener doesn't look as strong at that on the XRAY or the MUGEN since its just a metal rod with plastics screwed on its two ends unlike the one piece solid CNC one from XRAY....I'am beginning to wonder if it really is such a great buggy.

Initial impressions for ON ROAD performance with road tires and C6BB engine was that the buggy is fast. Really fast. Blazing fast and very responsive. However, it has a tendancy to flip when u turn it too much...I think its due to the high grip factor from the road tires. I've yet to test this machine on the tracks but I should be doing so in the next few days to come...

Its not that I'am not happy with this buggy or what its just that for the price I'am paying, the competitors seem to be up with buggies that offer more technology and stuff in them as opposed to the non-radical very simple looking design that I'am getting with my Kyosho buggy.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:17 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Funny that you focus on the chassis braces. Kyosho makes them that way because they work. If you waste your money on the aftermarket ones and compare the two you'll say, "Gee, I just spent an extra $40 and it handles worse." The Kyosho braces allow the chassis to flex improving it's handling on rough tracks. Mugen Prospec drivers buy the stock plastic braces to replace the alloy ones for the same reason.

Any buggy will be fast on the street but not faster than a road car. The reason it flips when you turn is called "high center of gravity" and long suspension down travel. Compare how much travel difference there is between an off-road buggy and an on road racer. It's huge.

I'm not championing the Kyosho but they do make an excellent buggy that works in almost any track situation with the right set-up and driver.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote