R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default HELP WITH GEARING FOR HOT BODIES LIGHTNING STADIUM

Heres the dilema...bought the hardened diff for my Hot Bodies lightning. As you guys know, the lightning comes with spiral gears both pinion and ring gear for the differential. Now, here is the problem. The hardened diff is straight cut. Wouldnt be a problem...if they sold a straight cut pinion with the same number of teeth!. The ring gear, both spiral and straight are 43 teeth, with the spiral pinion being 10 teeth. The Hot Bodies straight cut pinion is 13 teeth! Will this throw off my internal gear ratio? HELP!?!?!?!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Yes that will mess up the ratio big time. I would see if the Hot bodies Stadium ring gear will bolt on the diff case. If so then your in luck. It sounds like you got a Buggy diff and not the Stadium diff that is all. The diffs are the same between the two only difference is the ring gear.
redneckracer197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Thats what I thought

I tell you....I thought the very same thing. What threw me off was the "techie" at HPI. He told me he made the conversion and he noticed no change in his lightning! That struck me as odd and really threw me for a loop. Man, they need to get their heads out of their a$$e$ over there! Thanks.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Tech Adept

A friend of mine tried it once and told me that it wasn't a good idea. He said he lost a ton of his off the line power. Now if you were running a tire like the Komodo LP then it wouldn't be an issue really.
redneckracer197 is offline   Reply With Quote