R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Not being mean but I sent you a PM.
It would be STUPID to go with a STS over a .21 O.S. VG
This motor has plenty of RIP for 90% of the tracks in america and has the best carb in the buisness HANDS DOWN.
You can get them at Tower for $149.99 and save $20.00 with their coupon.
Best deal on the market today HANDS DOWN.
Dont make the mistake.
If you already have use the HEAT method to break in the STS.
Hopefully you didnt.

Les
Old 03-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf24
if you want an awsome engine for under $200, A main has the Axe Rossi Mamba on for $199, with free shipping, thats a killer price on a killer engine,
they also have a discount code to get $12.50 off for the month of March, I ordered one last night I spent over $250 so I got $25 off the order,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

I just recieved my Mamba. It is a very nice mill. The piston is very tight at TDC so I will have to oil and heat the cylinder for breakin. Anyone have any experience with this new mill?
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #19
Tech Rookie

Just got a Werks B3-have only run half a tank heat cycling it and this thing rips! Can't wait til it really opens up.
analogy134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:16 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you really have your heart set on a sts just be prepared for some problems when you hit the 1 gallon mark, the front bearing will start to leak. I have had 6 of these motors and they have all leaked and had other problems, if you do run into problems get in contact with ryan or glen at racernine, they were the first ones to import the motor and know it in and out.
BUT if you have not got it yet I would go with the go tech, the motor is very impressive with alot of top end and enough bottom to get over any jump. I ran the 5 port at the nitro challenge and was passing v-specs and ninjas on the 200' back straight, never one flame out or any other problem just one screaming motor. It has just under 2 gallons on it and it's still hard to turn over, do a search on the motor theres a thread with a dyno sheet that may just change your mind.
moparsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:32 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice

any of the following... are top brands but at a budget racers price. no need to buy crap brands no more.

OS VG
Novarossi N21B,
Mamba
Werks B3
RB S3

none of the following

STS - lack power
Go Tech - carb problems
PIITB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:09 AM   #22

I run the axe mamba in my st1 and it is a great engine for the money. Heaps of power to burn. Heaps of torque. Front wheels are often off the ground. Run 20% At fuel and ttr efra 2039 pipe set. Still a little tight as only used 2ltrs. They say u can run 25% with out adding the shim supplied with no problems. Not sure if I will change to 25% nitro as it has heaps of power already.
scottfish0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:19 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to iRacingWerkz
Default Under $200

You would be happy with Go Tech or a OS VG. They are easy to tune and definitely reliable. You would not go wrong with either of them.

Cheers

T.O.R.T
200 Turf City, Bukit Timah, #01-45 (facing Bus-Stop, Turf-Clementi)

*GSRacing
*Esky Products
iRacingWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:15 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRacer
Not being mean but I sent you a PM.
It would be STUPID to go with a STS over a .21 O.S. VG
This motor has plenty of RIP for 90% of the tracks in america and has the best carb in the buisness HANDS DOWN.
You can get them at Tower for $149.99 and save $20.00 with their coupon.
Best deal on the market today HANDS DOWN.
Dont make the mistake.
If you already have use the HEAT method to break in the STS.
Hopefully you didnt.

Les
Les is right about the 21 VG , i had one of these a couple of months ago when i was into 1/8 and it was the best performance for the dollar .. the OS 21VG will be your best option , just ask anyone that has owns one..
Old 03-07-2007, 06:23 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I ran a STS 21T last year, and it worked really good for me, the only problem I had with it was the bearings, they are junk and I would recomend replacing them after break in with somethign better, but other than that, I got 4 gallons of 30% 8% fuel on it before it was wore out, and I didn't do any break in on it really, after a tank at low speed, I was doing high speed runs down my driveway, I needed to run it that weekend so I didn't have time to do a proper break in on it, and it ran really strong until it had zero compression, and I still finsihed a race with it like that, I just couldn't let it idle for more than a second or two,

that being said, that AXE Mamba at $199 is a crazy awsome deal, I can't wait to break it in,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:32 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Talking

Les is right about the OS .21 VG. The carbs are the best and the motor makes good power for most tracks. However, you can not use restrictors to improve fuel mileage or tune for slick tracks. Otherwise, they are highly recommended.
Bang for the buck = SW .21 V2! It is a true 7 port that will last gallons and gallons. Comes with a full restrictor set. Will get you 9 minutes of run time. You will not be out motored!
We have one in our shop car and it is incredible. See the post I just sent on "Ask Aaron".
We are on 8 gallons now and it runs so strong we will not take it out.

LES - You should come by and let us show you these. You will be very impressed. Besides, when you come over to gas you will need to know what is hot and what is not.
JK!

I'm out,
TEX
(972) 271-4844
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #27
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

thanks for all the info guys. Amazing how heated it can get in here over these engines.

I have decided to look more at the OS VG again, also maybe the RG as I see some places have the non-pullstart version for about $110, though I heard you may need to replace the head on it as the stock one is too small, anyone else hear this?

I had a sportwerks V1 Pro here but sold it as initially I was going to just go electric, but decided to just make a go with 4wd nitro and 4wd buggy. How much different is the V2 Pro from the V1 Pro?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
I have decided to look more at the OS VG again, also maybe the RG as I see some places have the non-pullstart version for about $110, though I heard you may need to replace the head on it as the stock one is too small, anyone else hear this?

King Headz makes aftermarket heads for both the RG and the VG. very nice heads for about 60 bucks. a-main hobbies has them if you can't find 'em anywhere else.
Losi XXX-MF2/CRC SC
B&T R/C - http://b-treman-rc.valp.net/btrchome.htm
dirtracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Tex-I ran gas before you guys knew what gas was.lol
I have been showing up places.Your the one missing.

Les
Old 03-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #30
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

So is the OS VG a pig on fuel or is it more from a tuning issue?

Main thing is easy of tuning and how well it holds a tune, as a figure in this price range, the ones recommend should have some good pop to them.

Don't need anything insane as this will be my first real .21 engine (previous ones were all RTRs)