Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4wd electric

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

Default 4wd electric

Can anyone recommend a good 4wd electric buggy? Just looking for something that's reliable and easy to get parts for online.

I have seen the team losi XXX-4, but are there any others I should consider?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Please seach, Ive seen at least 10 threads on this topic since Ive been a member here.

Since you wont search, the BJ4 WE is a great car with great support. If you run AE stuff its even better because of some parts interchangability.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Sometimes its just easier to ask. If you don't wanna help. don't reply.

easy.

Thank you for your generous reply.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Thumbs up

The Losi XX4 buggy. Here is mine.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

The losi 4wd buggys are good cars and there are a lot of good 4wd buggys out there too. You just have to go with the one u like and the one were u can get the parts for it.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

BJ4WE is the only way to go. but the rerelease of the losi XX-4 is also a good car. do not buy that XXX-4 tank steering car. with the new yokomo and tamiya 501X are good lookers also, but they have exposed diffs. its not on road so im not a fan of open diffs. by the way the BJ is from JCONCEPTS.COM.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The new Academy SBV2 Pro is a nicely outfitted package at a GREAT price. Check this thread.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=143694

Stormer Hobbies carries them and the parts.

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=ACD15103
Old 03-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Regular

Wow, lots of varied opinions. I remember researching this class a few months ago, but I figured they're might have been a few new 4wd contenders out there. The Team Losi seem's like it would be the easiest to get parts for though.

I'll check out that Jconcepts as well.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

There's lots of great info on www.4wdrc.com as well - check it out.

I'm pretty biased (check the sig...) but I love the X - 5. Its a combination of the best of the Losi XXX4 (acceleration and ease of maintenance) and XX4 (amazing handling in the bumps and over jumps). Service and shipping are top notch as well.

Really, there are a host of great 4wd electric cars on the market right now. A quick list if you really want to shop around (I've tried to just kind of give the general consensus on each car below; to be fair and keep out my editorial comments. I'm sure some people might disagree with me, and they can certainly voice their opinion):

From JConcepts.net:
*BJ4 World's Edition: Carbon Fiber (CF) dual-deck chassis, shaft drive with the spur gear and motor in the middle, saddle pack at the rear.
*BJ4 (regular edition): not made anymore (I don't think?) but parts support is still great, you can find them around used, they have a dual deck CF chassis, shaft drive with the motor at the rear, side-by-side battery pack along the left.

From Team Losi:
*XX4 World's Edition: old car that's been re-released. Molded graphite chassis, 3 belt sealed driveline, mid-motor (and centered side to side), saddle pack at the rear.
*XXX4 Graphite+: molded graphite chassis, sealed single belt driveline that's incredibly quick in a strait line, side-by-side battery pack along the right side of the car, lower ground clearance than most other 4wheelers, some durability problems with out the right upgrades.

From X Factory:
*X - 5: molded graphite chassis, sealed single belt driveline, 4+2 battery pack split (two cells on motor side, 4 on the other), uses a lot of Losi XX4 suspension and chassis components. Requires modification of a few parts to put together.

From Yokomo:
*MR4-BX: CF dual deck chassis, twin belt driveline with open diffs, saddle pack at the rear of the car, mid-motor

From Tamyia:
*TRF 501X: CF dual deck chassis, twin belt driveline with open diffs, saddle pack at the rear, mid-motor
*Dark Impact: molded plastic chassis, centered motor and stick pack, shaft drive, cheaper car

From Kyosho:
*Lazer ZX-5: molded graphite dual deck chassis, shaft drive, motor at the rear, side-by-side battery pack along the left side, cheaper car but needs a few upgrades to be durable

From Hot Bodies:
*Cyclone D4: not released yet (I think sometime in April?), CF dual deck chassis, shaft drive with spur gear and motor in the middle, saddle pack at the rear

Academy/MRC:
*SB Pro V2: just released, CF dual deck chassis, motor/spur gear at the back, lots of battery arrangements possible, cheaper car. The SB V1 was a good entry-level car that took quite a bit of work to make into a competitive track car; the V2 was supposed to fix those flaws. We'll see as people begin to run them more).

You can find a whole lot of very in-depth and thorough reviews of a lot of these cars at the English website, www.oople.com.

Last edited by Paul_Sinclair; 03-04-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

kyosho zx-5. after a few hopups it is "bullet proof"

and parts are cheap
Old 03-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

seems like I will still need to get a losi to get an x-5. Looks like some nice buggies.

Not sure what you mean by cheaper car on the description of the Tamiya TRF 501X. Tower Has it listed for $520. I think that's like the highest priced 4wd electric buggy I have seen so far.

That was exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks Paul_Sinclair.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

It depends on how you want to go about getting an X - 5. You can convert a XX4, a XXX4, or just buy the entire car outright on the store page. All three ways result in the same car. Finding a used XX4 roller is the cheapest route to an X - 5, with a total price of ~$350. The entire car is $499; a price really comparable to the other top 4wd's out there.

The "cheaper car" comment is about the Dark Impact, not the 501X. Tamyia currently offers two cars; look at my above post closely. It might just be screen size/resolution makes them appear to be one comment. I'll edit the post to make it more apparent.

Oh, and for a really high-priced car, I left off my list the Atomic Carbon S4. Its not available yet; and I haven't seen any planned release dates, but its going to be a fairly pricey conversion for the already expensive BJ4...
Old 03-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

u can get the tamiya 501x "REALLY" cheap from japan. no where the the price from tower
Old 03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

oh yeah, I did miss that Dark impact car. sorry. :-)

This might be a stupid question. Which one of these cars will give me a good chance of beating a 1/8 scale buggy on a medium sized track with decent driving skills, without breaking the bank. Not really gonna race it. I don't think we have a class built for it in Houston yet. I just wanna mess with the big bad 8th scale guys once in a while.

I did nitro for a bit, but I rather just do electric. Quiet and fast ... like a ninja.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by myk505
u can get the tamiya 501x "REALLY" cheap from japan. no where the the price from tower

yeah, but parts may not be so cheap or easy to get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.