R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-04-2007, 11:34 PM   #16
Tech Regular

well parts art really the expensive thing, and unless u crash a lot, it might be a problem. although if towerhobbies sell the 501x, i'm guessing they sell parts too!

the 501x works out pretty cheap from japan (not sure about delivery prices though. shouldnt be too expensive!) and when u break etc, tower may have the spares.

i myself have just bought a ZX5, but have not run it yet, and parts have been fairly easy to get from japan (to asutralia)
myk505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:45 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys,

Chech this link, its 4WD thread in the australian forum, lots of good info and chat.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...69#post3086869

Ryper Hobbies l AKA | AE
tony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:16 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggdaddy
Which one of these cars will give me a good chance of beating a 1/8 scale buggy on a medium sized track with decent driving skills, without breaking the bank. Not really gonna race it. I don't think we have a class built for it in Houston yet. I just wanna mess with the big bad 8th scale guys once in a while.

I did nitro for a bit, but I rather just do electric. Quiet and fast ... like a ninja.
I think the car that fits that discription best would be the Losi XX4. Its in the middle of the pack price-wise, at around $350 new or $100 used (a quick check of everyone's favorite auction site shows three available). 1/8th scales tend to break a track up, making it very bumpy and dusty, and there's really no better car in the rough stuff than the XX4. It goes through bumps amazingly, and its sealed driveline, while a pain to work on at times, lasts an incredibly long time if built right.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:19 AM   #19
Tech Regular

That's exactly what I was thinking, plus it would be cheaper going with the xx-4 than the xxx-4 if I decide to do the X-5 conversion.

Who knows maybe I could spur a 4wd electric class in my area if I can show it off enough .. hehe.
Aggdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #20
Tech Regular

one other question. The X-5 conversion kit, does it modify the chassis at all? I see a big difference for me, which is the battery pack configuration. the XX-4 is a 4 by 2 design and the XXX-4 is a straight 6 cell design. I much prefer the "straight 6" design.

This would mean, I'd have to go for the XXX-4 chassis over the XX-4.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #21
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I would say right now, the best bangs for the buck out there are the Academy SB V2 Pro and the Kyosho ZX5 price to performance wise. The Re-released XX-4 is good too, just alittle more than the other two.

Right now you can get the SB V2 Pro for 309.99 from Stormer hobbies I beleive and Ultimate Hobbies will be also carrying the SB V2 Pro. The pro had great performance as stated here:

As Posted by Dave G:

"NEWEST Addition to team, TQ's CT State Champs"

Howard Cadrain piloted his MRC/ACADEMY SBV2 Pro buggy to the TQ position over many factory sponsored AE/Losi Drivers this past weekend at Wolcott hobby in Wolcott CT. Howard drove his production V2 Pro buggy flawlessly to TQ by more then 3 seconds over 2nd place qualifier. Howard had some first turn troubles and ended up 3rd overall in the main. He also set the fastest laps of the day in the main event!!!

CONGRATS HOWARD!

A review of the SB V2 Pro will be in April's RC Driver issue.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Changing from the xx-4's 3+3 saddle pack to X Factory's 4+2 is just a matter of unsoldering the jumper wire and moving one cell. Not a big deal.

And, either way, the saddle packs fit into any stick pack car, so don't let that prevent you from a saddle-pack 4WD.

Any R/C car with all 6 cells on one side and the motor on the other is unbalanced, and the only way we know to balance it is to add weight to the light side. Adding weight is not the best way to go fast...

When you buy the X - 5, you get an entire new graphite chassis along with everything you need to make the conversion.

I can't speak for the other cars, and I am biased, but on all except the longest, most blown out tracks, a decent electric 4WD will beat anything gas. We've seen the X - 5 do it time after time. Electric 4WD is the fastest class in off-road racing.

Have fun!!!
YoungChazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #23
Tech Regular

I have a saddle pack car (t1R) i just don't like dealing with extra hassle you have to go through with saddle packs. like seating them in the car and moving the jumper wire to accomodate moving parts, and the its hard to get them in a (equailizer / discharger) device because of the jumper wire.

I was thinking of starting off with a lipo / brushess combo, so battery weight, may be less of a factor.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wonder if running a Li-po in a 6 cell in a row 4wd would equalize the weight since the Li-po is a good deal lighter than the 4200s we are running now.
Vegaspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #25
Tech Legend

From what I have heard, the lipos are significantly lighter, I think the 8000 mah lipos are the ones where the weight gets close to what you would have with a normal 6 cell nimh pack, not sure. I think max amps says something to that effect on there site.

Honestly, no car no matter the cell configuration is 100% balanced. Its true that you may need to add more weight on certain configurations, but, if you are racing mod, you can always just go up on power. Since 4wd is pretty much a mod even, its probably not a big deal. Now if you are racing a spec class, you probably want every advantage you can get, especially weight.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Talking

Paul_Sinclair, thanks for the detailed run-down! Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Sinclair
There's lots of great info on www.4wdrc.com as well - check it out.

You can find a whole lot of very in-depth and thorough reviews of a lot of these cars at the English website, www.oople.com.
Mr.Maim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #27
Tech Regular

oh yeah of course, I'd adhere to the rules and such if we had a class going, but that's just not the case in Houston. I'd love to race these in a spec class or something.

For now its just for fun. Just wanna have something to mess with the 8th scale buggies on the track. I don't think they think too highly of electric out here. So, I'll see if I can prove em wrong.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:08 PM   #28
Tech Legend

I would say you want to go with a very durable buggy, and since you are going against the nitro guys, definitely look at going brushless and lipo so you get the long runtimes with lots of speed.

The nice thing about the SB V2 Pro is that its durable and if the track conditions are really beat up, its pretty easy to rig up some truck wheels and tires to get alittle more give over those ruts.

I did this for fun monstering around (traxxas rear rims work i fyou can get the truck wheels from MRC) and was suprised how well it worked.

Other vehicles may work as well and do what you want too.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

I recently got rid of a XXX4. The car was retarded fast if the track was well prepped, if it was bumpy it was a Guaranteed broken part. I have actually broken the front spindles just going down the straight at high speeds because of small bumps..Its really a fun car if the track is right, if it isnt, you will dissapointed. The only other 4wd ive had some amounted wheel time with is the ZX-5 and i loved that car compared to the XXX4.
Just my .02
FowLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #30
Tech Initiate

I don't like the inconvenience of saddle packs so I did a few mods on my X-5 and can now fit an Orion Platinum lipo in my X-5 as well as side by side cells and stick packs. I had to move the battery posts and dremil away all the bits that got in the way. The balance feels pretty good.
jatkp is offline   Reply With Quote