R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-04-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 8th Buggy Opinions

So My next kit will be an 8th buggy.
Whats the difference between the Xray TQ and the EC?
Also, how good is the Losi 8 in comparison?
I have pretty much narrowed it down to these two due to parts support.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Tech Regular

The TQ is x-rays current model and it is no slouch, the new EC car is a revision of the current model which features a new chassis with the engine moved back 6mm, this also allows for the center universals to be the same length. It also feature bigger bore shocks for better pack and the front shock tower is taller to accomodate the new bigger longer front shocks. This should give the car a more forgiving feel and should really make it a very nice buggy.

The losi is good in innovation but no car out there can touch the x-ray as far as quality and longevity of the drivetrain. The plastics and metals used in the x-ray are the very best and the drivetrain is the lightest most free drive train on the market.

The biggest con to the losi is the potential of blowing throttle servos and I have seen a lot break.

The biggest con to the x-ray is it is extremely adjustable and is easy to dial yourself out. Also there are not very many x-ray drivers in the U.S. to get help and support from.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
Tech Elite

I think we've got most of the stuff, like servo failures, figured out. When it comes to racetrack performance, nothing can beat the Losi 8IGHT buggy (COMPLETELY BIASED OPINION, hahaha), in the hands of the amateur driver or the seasoned pro.

Losi has friendly and helpful team drivers everywhere and lots of help can be found all over the internet. I encourage every owner of a Losi vehicle to e-mail or IM me with any question they have, if they'd prefer not to discuss things on an internet message board.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
I think we've got most of the stuff, like servo failures, figured out.
What was the problem?

Rocket42:
Good info, Thanks!
Old 03-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Tech Elite

There's a trick with the battery box screw that uses o-rings to cushion some of the vibration of the radio tray, and it seems like it's helping the servos last much longer.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Aaron, where is this trick posted? This is the first I am hearing of it.
Associated SC10.2, RC10B2, RC10T2, RC10
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Tech Elite

It's in my last post on the 8IGHT thread.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Go to the Losi 8ight building and Set-up thread I beleive you can find-out more on the throttle servo problem in the last 2 or 3 pages, although its talked about a lot on just about every other page.

I would recommend the Losi 8ight for my first Buggy, parts and support are a lot easier to come by. Not dissing the Xray, its super high quality, and a great buggy, but finding parts and a good set-up might be a challenge
kylehirano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
Tech Master

Well I'm certainly undecided now.
I love my Losi Kits and know the Eight would be great, but I have owned X-Ray and they are great as well.
This is turning out harder than I thought.

Will they be releasing an updated Eight anytime soon?
I'd hate to buy it and then this summer they come out with an Eight "such and Such" Edition.
Although, X-Ray is Famous for the 8 Month Car.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to better

my vote is for the xray because extreme quality in chassis and drive line. that keeps you from wrenching so you can just drive the car worry free.
better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #11
Tech Elite

scoobydo - All the cars on the market today are solid. Kyosho has been making great kits for decades now, Mugen's X5R is one of the most competitive buggies on the track, even the GS car holds its own in the right hands (Marty beats me with his, haha). Associated's new car is slated for release sometime this year and should be a top contender as well.

You can't go wrong with any car anymore, in my opinion. I would like to think that some of the biggest selling points for Losi's buggy are their offices here in the U.S. and the ability to get setups and advice from their big roster of sponsored drivers that post all over the internet as well. And you can't deny the success the car has had on the racetrack, in the hands of Losi's race team like Adam Drake and Mike Truhe, and in the sportsman class at club races week in and week out.

The 8IGHT buggy has been out for less than a year and has transformed the racing scene once dominated by the same manufacturers for years.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #12
Tech Adept

but for quality and craftsmenship, you can't deny that xray dominates losi. They just don't have a fleet of american drivers yet.
roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roots
but for quality and craftsmenship, you can't deny that xray dominates losi. They just don't have a fleet of american drivers yet.
i run a mugen my buddy runs a losi from ive seen the 8ight is pretty much bullet proof,
Old 03-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Although the design of the Losi is fresh and new its not for every one. Since the weight distribution is farther forward it will have a more unstable rear end if you dont have good throttle control. You can't deny the car works great though, but will it drop your lap times? Unless it suits your driving style particularly well probably not. The Xray is just as fast, it just has more weight over the rear tires. Personally between the two of them I think its a very hard decision, both are very good cars. The Xray definately has the most amazing quality/fit and finish of any car out there, plus the support on their website for setups is great. The Losi of course works awesome as well. The only disadvantage I see with the Losi is the fact that only Losi springs fit and most of the bearings are a really weird size, plus there is supposed to be some kind of servo killing issue? No issues here with the Xray car, none at all, super strong and super adjustable, just the way I like it.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut
Although the design of the Losi is fresh and new its not for every one. Since the weight distribution is farther forward it will have a more unstable rear end if you dont have good throttle control. You can't deny the car works great though, but will it drop your lap times? Unless it suits your driving style particularly well probably not. The Xray is just as fast, it just has more weight over the rear tires. Personally between the two of them I think its a very hard decision, both are very good cars. The Xray definately has the most amazing quality/fit and finish of any car out there, plus the support on their website for setups is great. The Losi of course works awesome as well. The only disadvantage I see with the Losi is the fact that only Losi springs fit and most of the bearings are a really weird size, plus there is supposed to be some kind of servo killing issue? No issues here with the Xray car, none at all, super strong and super adjustable, just the way I like it.
Yup! Couldn't have said it better myself.
speed metal is offline   Reply With Quote