R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Brushless Corey
Default Need help GTB owners....

I finally have everything for my XX-4 to run. I hooked up my battery and turned on the GTB. THe fan starts running, but that is it. I've tried doing the initial setup on it and it still won't do anything.

I'll leave the radio off
turn on the car
hold the button til all 4 LED's light up
select which profile I want

By the instructions, it should be ready after that. I look at the ESC and it looks like the red and yellow LED's are on.

Can anyone help me?
Brushless Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'd reread the instructions again and reset the esc to your radio. Until it's set to your radio and working there's not much use in messing with the profiles and settings.
Keeping racing fun and affordable with my 8y.o. twins :)
The best track I've raced is the one in my backyard!
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Okay.....I just did that, but its still not doing anything. I'll hold the one touch button and then turn on the ESC and hold the button til the red light stays on. I let go and hold the throttle waiting for the green light to come on and it never does.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i dont have my instructions in front of me, but you can got o novak.com and look them up. yes hold the one touch turn on esc release once red light comes on then turn on radio wait for a minute so you know the radio and reciever are linked pull trigger full throttle until grenn light is on, full brakes until it blinks then to nuetral. then when you hit the trigger it should work, from there then you can select a profile not before the intial set up is done. if you do that the brakes wont work. also make sure you have the three wires on the motor in the right spots and that the sensor wire is connected to the esc from the motor it wont work without that either.

also i have always had trouble setting my novak esc's for the last sixyears at 2 am also on a friday night. any other time i have no problems.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
Tech Regular

My wife is out of town and I have a 4 day weekend. Thats why I'm up messing with it.

I have the instructions right here in front of me and I did what you said and its still not doing anything. I'll get it to where teh red LED stays on and I let go of the button, then pull the throttle back and hold it. The LED never turns green. I'm not sure how long I have to hold it, but damn, I held it for at least 2 minutes with nothing happening.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:05 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Make sure the gtb is plugged into the right channel on your receiver, or you could do what I did once, I turned on the screen of my 3pk while fiddling with the model then preceded to try and set the esc up, well of course it wouldn't work because I need to actually turn the 3pk ON
Old 03-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

Here's a list of things to look at. Some of these things are kind of obvious; I don't mean to sound criticizing, but I've made some of the strangest mistakes before.

Battery decently charged? A "dead" battery will run the fan but might not have the power to do anything else.
ESC hooked to the battery correctly (red-red and black-black)?
ESC hooked into the receiver correctly - slot 2 and the correct orientation (you can sometimes flip those plugs around)?
ESC hooked to the motor correctly? Given your forum name, I'm guessing you're running brushless - make sure you have A to A, B to B, C-C, and the sensor wires all the way plugged in.
Transmitter batteries charged?
Set your transmitter: throttle and brake end points to 100%, Exponential to 0%, trims in the middle?

Then, go though the one-touch set-up procedure (the motor will not move during this!):
Turn on the transmitter.
Hold down the one-touch set-up button.
Turn on the GTB.
Continue Holding the set-up button until the red LED comes on by itself.
Release the button.
Pull transmitter trigger/stick to full throttle and hold until the LED turns solid green.
Push the transmitter trigger/stick to full brake and hold until the LED blinks green.
Let the transmitter throttle return to neutral; the red LED should come back on and you should be ready to go.

If you can't get the speedo to respond to the transmitter during the one-touch set-up procedure, there's something amiss elsewhere. Try changing out your crystals (if you use them) or your receiver (I see you run two other cars; just put another car next to your XX4 and stretch the ESC and servo wires to the other car's receiver). If you're running spectrum, try rebinding the module and receiver. If the one-touch set-up procedure does work, it will reset the speedo to profile 1 and the factory settings. Leave it there and see if the motor runs, you have steering, etc. Once you've verified everything seems to be working, then go through and select the profile you want. For racing off-road, I like profile 3 with drag brake setting 3. Hope that helps!
Old 03-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Tech Addict

I agree with Paul, sometimes the most obvious mistake is the one that makes you scratch your head for hours. To add to Paul's obvious mistake list, I'd check to make sure your sensor wire is plugged in. I've done that one before. Your lights will light up just like you mentioned and nothing will happen.
Laterilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Make sure the wire harness is all the way plugged in. I have had issues with that coming loose during a race. Also check your receiver as well make sure that too is plugged in correctly.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

Make sure your channels are the same on the rx and the tx. I was trying to set my gtb for 10 mins just like you, then I realized that my tx and rx are on different channel. (I have novak switch module and xxtra rx).
Old 03-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushless Corey
I finally have everything for my XX-4 to run. I hooked up my battery and turned on the GTB. THe fan starts running, but that is it. I've tried doing the initial setup on it and it still won't do anything.

I'll leave the radio off
turn on the car
hold the button til all 4 LED's light up
select which profile I want

By the instructions, it should be ready after that. I look at the ESC and it looks like the red and yellow LED's are on.

Can anyone help me?

I thought u leave the radio on, and hold the setup button then turn on your esc to set the hi/lo/neutral. Otherwise, the esc will not recognize your full throttle position, full brake, neutral.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:33 PM   #12
Tech Regular

I got it figured out. There was a connector put on the wrong way. I had a buddy up at the LHS shorten all the wires on the GTB to the motor to clean it up so it wasn't all cluttered in there and he put one on backwards after working on it.

Now that I have it all going, all I have to say is this thing flies. I'm running IB 4200's in it and a couple of the nitro guys at the LHS was like "damn that thing is stupid fast!!!"

I am 100% sure that my XX-4 will come home broken tomorrow night after taking it to the track.

I was doing everything right, I just never checked that wire cause I know I had put it on before hand when installing the motor and ESC. Thanks for the help guys...
Old 03-03-2007, 12:09 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Yet another example of why not to let anyone work on your stuff. especially some high school kid or worse yet an old timer that hasn't seen an r/c since r/c was invented. its a tough call when you haven't soldered enough to feel confident or that you don't have your own iron. a person always counts on a shop worker to reconnect the wires the right way, yet their is so much on their mind, or rather they have no mind so things get messed up. sorry it happened like that for you.

yes as usual nitro guys or the general public don't know that electric IS FASTER THAN NITRO. which is probably more to why you wires were on wrong cause they don't know elec. the XX-4 is a durable car though so i woudn't worry to much, but yes it may break. couldn't imagine what they would say if you had a lipo on it too!???!!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 01:08 AM   #14
Tech Regular

It was just a honest mistake on my buddies part. No harm done. I've been busy buying vehicles and getting them running I haven't actually sat down and figured out what I could really use to have. I've just got back into the RC thing back in Dec. and I'm working on my 5th car. I was looking at a iron the other day so I'll probably pick me up one soon.

I don't have a electric track that is local so I drive a little more than an hour to practice and such. I bought me a used LST tonight to get familiar to the nitro thing and to bash around with. I have a Losi 8ight T on hold at my LHS that I should have paid off in about a month or so. We have a really big and nice offroad track local to me and I'd like to do some 1/8 scale truggy racing come spring time. The good thing is they are working on a indoor electric track for next winter. So I'll have the best of both worlds.

I have a 3s 2100 lipo battery sitting here, but its not a saddle pack and I don't think the GTB does 3s.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

as long as it not over 7.4 volts you can use it. if it is 11.1 volts im not sure at all. i would call novak before you ask around in here and end with some bad info and smoke your $200 esc. i understand how you cna get busy its kool. was making fun is all. glad you got it fixed. i got the best of both tracks just 35 min in either direction from my house. and just 1 and 1/2 from indoor off road. my tracks are SRS and The Nitro Pit, where the nitro challenge was last week. and the Cactus Classic is at SRS.